Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Mid Atlantic US (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mid-atlantic-us-223/)
-   -   Lake Anna Fun Run -- Feeler (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/mid-atlantic-us/268823-lake-anna-fun-run-feeler.html)

dcb 01-17-2012 08:23 AM

I might be interested - have not been to the lake since the early eighties - a group of us went and got hassled so badly by the game warden we never went back.

Jpzaluski 01-17-2012 08:36 AM

The lake is certainly a nice place in the heat of summer, lots of places with nice bottom, and if the boat traffic isn't too bad you can actually see your feet.

As far as game wardens/sheriffs, I am going to make the call and see what they have to say. I know most of them well, and it's always seemed that if we are respectful, they don't mind at all. Don't blow any no wakes, don't go blasting down the lake at 5:00 AM, etc. I boat there every other weekend and don't ever get stopped, a buddy of mine with dry tails does just as frequently, and has no problem. The Hot Boat guys there during the summer certainly don't have ANYTHING quiet or slow, and they are left alone.

Dockage is my other concern. Most of the establishments have small slips, limited dock space, etc, so I'm sure that rafting up could get interesting.

Right now this is all just thinking out loud, so I'd love to hear any and all input.

Sydwayz 01-17-2012 08:52 AM

I don't know where the Tim's Lake Anna is going to be, but will they have a Shuttle? Maybe they can bring one over from the River and we can anchor out?

Jpzaluski 01-17-2012 09:58 AM

The Tim's dockage is probably the best on the lake. They have yet to open, however I'd say they probably have 200-300 ft. of dock to tie/raft against, and it's in a no-wake zone. The docks at the "No Wake Zone" are also decent, but can fill up fast around lunch time. Docks at Anna Cabanna worry me, they see a lot of main lake traffic, and it's geared to 18-25' boats. I can't get in a slip at all. This may turn in to a "fun cruise" with a poker hand... who know's. I'd just like to get everyone together down here for a day/weekend. It is a very nice lake, with some nice amenities, and is definitely a nice alternative to jumping in the brown Potomac.

I think some of these stops may have to be "on the water" card stops.... idle by the dock, draw your card and wait on the pack. I'd like to find a venue to "host" the majority of us. Sturgeon Creek has a some nice, shaded pavilions, a good bit of dock space, etc where we could cookout. Tim's, although they haven't opened, I'm sure could "support us" as well.

Jpzaluski 01-17-2012 09:59 AM

Brian, that's another thing I was thinking about. Possibly paying a friend in a pontoon boat to follow us around to our stops and shuttle us for the day.

dcb 01-17-2012 10:24 AM

Was there with a bunch of friends in drag boats, anchored and not bothering anybody. Game warden meets us at the private ramp we were using and safety checks me, as I was first out. I have everything and he stares at my boat and says "I need to see a Coast Guard approved flame arrestor." I reply "in an open engined boat?" He is going to cite me, but I said you better write everyone here (at least 15 boats). He calls his supervisor who tells us to "get our ni***r boats back to Washington (some of us had DC registration). Basically did not want us there. Hopefully things have changed in 30 years.

seltzer 01-17-2012 01:04 PM

I think we should meet up (maybe central park) and discuss dates.:ernaehrung004: If you know what i mean.

drejustice 01-17-2012 02:03 PM

You also got the "sandbar"(duckblind) as spot to hang/raftup. Large area of waist deep water to float around and mingle in while the boats are anchored/rafted up.

seltzer 01-17-2012 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by drejustice (Post 3595447)
You also got the "sandbar"(duckblind) as spot to hang/raftup. Large area of waist deep water to float around and mingle in while the boats are anchored/rafted up.

That is a cool spot. I was on the lake 2 years ago and there were probably 50 or so boats hanging out there.

Beak Boater 01-17-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by seltzer (Post 3595414)
I think we should meet up (maybe central park) and discuss dates.:ernaehrung004: If you know what i mean.

That sounds like a plan. Or we could just drink and say we talked about it:party-smiley-020: