Potomac river question

Notices

Potomac river question

Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Two hangout suggestions:

There is Mattawoman Creek directly east across the river from Leesylvania. Lots of folks go up in there, and raft/anchor off from shore for the day and there are always kids present.

Outside of the Occoquan River, there is "Ococoquan Bay" where there are always boats rafted and having a good time. There are a few places to anchor close to land or beach it in there as well.

I would recommend either of these as opposed to Leesylvania as they are primarlly fed by the River and Creek respectively, especially the further you go up; ala much cleaner than the runoff from DC coming down the Potomac.
Not much rafting up going on over here in the Mattawoman since all of this hydrilla (grass) started taking over. There are some boats that raft up but not like in the years past.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

I usually have kids on board.

Some places we go....usually spring / fall
G-Town, makes for good people watching.
Maine Ave., seafood market
Old Town, dock and walk around
National Harbor

When it's hot we usually head south
Fairview Beach, good for swimming
Wades Bay, search for shark teeth

If you really feel like riding, St Clements Island is real nice. You can tie up at the dock or anchor in the cove on the south side. The lighthouse is open on the weekends.

My son always bugs me to go fishing, just south of the 301 bridge, you can catch croaker and perch all day long.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Registered

Mason neck state park aka Belmont bay aka Occoquan is a great place to raft up. There's about a 100 yard section that you can anchor or beach at that's sandy. The variety of people and boats is vast. People party, families relax and its overall a nice little spot. People tend to play sports on the beach and in the water while others jet ski and or wakeboard in the cove there. As far as overnighting, I personally have never done it, hope to change that up this year but have heard that people have bon fires on the beach and that the bugs aren't to terrible if you anchor out a little ways in the evening. Let me know if you have anymore questions. David
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aequitas
Mason neck state park aka Belmont bay aka Occoquan is a great place to raft up. There's about a 100 yard section that you can anchor or beach at that's sandy. The variety of people and boats is vast. People party, families relax and its overall a nice little spot. People tend to play sports on the beach and in the water while others jet ski and or wakeboard in the cove there. As far as overnighting, I personally have never done it, hope to change that up this year but have heard that people have bon fires on the beach and that the bugs aren't to terrible if you anchor out a little ways in the evening. Let me know if you have anymore questions. David
Hi,
So there are no actual docks at mason neck?
How long would it take to get to old town from aquia creek?
And is docking a issue???
Bryan
Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Registered

From Aquia creek to Old Town or we will call it the WW Bridge would be about 45 minutes. It is no wake through much of the area above the bridge. Docking in Old town is no big deal I do it all the time . They have a dock master you can hail on the radio. There is a fee, I think $10.00 for four hours. You can get a transient for $ 1.50 foot. I persnally like Old Town better than National Harbor, cheaper more restraunts and not so much walking they have a free bus.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45SS
From Aquia creek to Old Town or we will call it the WW Bridge would be about 45 minutes. It is no wake through much of the area above the bridge. Docking in Old town is no big deal I do it all the time . They have a dock master you can hail on the radio. There is a fee, I think $10.00 for four hours. You can get a transient for $ 1.50 foot. I persnally like Old Town better than National Harbor, cheaper more restraunts and not so much walking they have a free bus.
Where is the preferred dock or is there just one?
Thanks!
Bryan
Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

We like the A dock. If you are not real fimiliar with Old town you can go online and find a layout of the docks. They also have a newly up graded bath house. It is heated and cooled.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aequitas
Wow, where is this exactly? The names you mentioned account for that entire area of the bay/river pretty much - it gets so confusing!

I've only been out that way 4 or 5 times, at first I used Occoquan park but as others mentioned, 20 minutes of no-wake is painful when you want to mash on the throttles!

Leesylvania was a pleasant surprise, and very close to my only "cove-like" spot I've found so far, which is opposite the point of land around the bend from the ramp there near Tim's. I can point it out on a map, it's very shallow (fine when I had my Yamaha LS2000, but won't be now that I have the Donzi!)

Thus, I'm curious where the place is that you mentioned! Pretend I'm pulling out of from Leesylvania?