Lake Marion to Charleston >

Lake Marion to Charleston

Notices

Lake Marion to Charleston

Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Marion to Charleston

Planning a trip down to Charleston in June. We are going to start in Lake Marion and go through the Pinopolis locks/Cooper river and make it a 3 night trip with one night being at the marina at Lake Marion. We are planning on staying at Ashley Marina in Charleston as there seems to be some decent hotel options right next to the docks. Are there any other Marina recommendations for the area with lodging near by? We plan on doing some sightseeing by water while we are down there but as this is my first trip to the area I am looking for some suggestions? Also, if anyone has any recommendations on restaurants or hotspots that are reached by water that would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Did you try asking on Boatfreaks.org?

Check this link out to a Trip those dudes took

http://forums.boatfreaks.org/showthr...ght=charleston
Old 03-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Registered

City Marina is an option also, both have a shuttle that will take you to hotel & places. Its only a 3 hour run from Marion to Charleston cruising at 30-35. Watch out for divers along the Cooper River as much of the river is narrow and gets lots of divers/boat traffic this time of year. Make sure you are topped of with gas before you leave Marion as there is no place to gas up on the way down.

Morris Island is a good place to hang out by day, lots of boats park there if the weather is nice. Just be mindful of the currents as they can crank up during tide changes.

I have run this trip in both my go fast & 30' cruiser and had a blast both times!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Registered

I did that run in the late 80's, lots of fun. I cant help you on the marinas but be sure to get down to King ST and the Market ST area to experience Charleston. Lots of great places to eat and sightseeing. College of Charleston has graduation May 6, making it harder to find hotels. Their are a lot of old Bed and Breakfasts places.