Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Mid Atlantic US
Chesapeake Bay Family and Friends NON EVENT 2017 >

Chesapeake Bay Family and Friends NON EVENT 2017

Notices

Chesapeake Bay Family and Friends NON EVENT 2017

Old 11-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

We are in for this event. Its always weather contingent.....but do we have an estimated day for the event?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah!!! I'm in.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ShootinRopes35z
We are in for this event. Its always weather contingent.....but do we have an estimated day for the event?
I am thinking late April or Early May. I am in talks with several marinas working out logistics for launching and docking..... my initial thought was to launch out of Sandy Point State Park....the problem there is just they have no real docks to have the boats get in the water and set there boats up and have crews get their acts together....We would have to get in the water and pretty much roll out quickly....things to work out. I've already spoken with the folks at the "Chesapeake Inn" in Chesapeake City. Eddie has emailed me their menu options. I have also spoken with the folks at Chesapeake bay Bridge Marina...they have a great marina, nice docks and a terrific restaurant on site. I am also thinking that I make this a "LIGHTHOUSE" run...run the southern and northern portions of the bay around the lighthouses...there is a ton of history with Chesapeake Bay...give you out of town folks the chance to see the bay....have a lunch and dinner stop..... Of course this is going to take me a bit of time to work out details but this is roughly my plan. Any locals willing to give me some insights and thoughts are certainly welcomed. I will probably limit this first time to 35-40 boats...unless of course I am able to make a 50+ boat fleet work....TBD...I appreciate the interest!!! I think this will work out to be a great day on the water for the families and friends and give our friends from NY, VA and other places the chance to experience the amazing Chesapeake Bay.

Stay tuned,

Chris
Old 11-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep FUEL in mind...I like earlier rather than later in the season so not opposed to early April. Access to fuel stops would have to be verified. We would be trailering from Reading, PA so splashing at Anchor Marine in North East would suit the Northern groups better than fighting tolls/traffic to go all the way to the Bay Bridge. (I realize its the opposite for the Southern/AA County crews as well)

A number of years back when I had another boat I was involved in a run that went from Cape May, NJ to Kent Island, MD. That made for a long day and lots of fuel burn but we overnighted at the HGI in Kent Island and had plenty of space to tie up.Would the Jetty or Red Eyes make for a better origin point since they have the capacity? I am with you on the concern about time to load and unload at the dock....with families that is critical. I've been known to remember pulling in the fenders but totally forgot about one of the kids standing on the dock....lol
Old 11-12-2016, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris: I'm up for just about any run on the bay. I hope my schedule at that time of year allows us to make it and the weather is good. You have my number so let me know if I can help out. Mark
Old 11-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by fordf350
Chris: I'm up for just about any run on the bay. I hope my schedule at that time of year allows us to make it and the weather is good. You have my number so let me know if I can help out. Mark
Mark,

Thanks for the response. I will certainly hit you up soon. Have a great Thanksgiving holiday with your family.

Speak soon,

Chris
Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey
I am thinking late April or Early May. I am in talks with several marinas working out logistics for launching and docking..... my initial thought was to launch out of Sandy Point State Park....the problem there is just they have no real docks to have the boats get in the water and set there boats up and have crews get their acts together....We would have to get in the water and pretty much roll out quickly....things to work out. I've already spoken with the folks at the "Chesapeake Inn" in Chesapeake City. Eddie has emailed me their menu options. I have also spoken with the folks at Chesapeake bay Bridge Marina...they have a great marina, nice docks and a terrific restaurant on site. I am also thinking that I make this a "LIGHTHOUSE" run...run the southern and northern portions of the bay around the lighthouses...there is a ton of history with Chesapeake Bay...give you out of town folks the chance to see the bay....have a lunch and dinner stop..... Of course this is going to take me a bit of time to work out details but this is roughly my plan. Any locals willing to give me some insights and thoughts are certainly welcomed. I will probably limit this first time to 35-40 boats...unless of course I am able to make a 50+ boat fleet work....TBD...I appreciate the interest!!! I think this will work out to be a great day on the water for the families and friends and give our friends from NY, VA and other places the chance to experience the amazing Chesapeake Bay.

Stay tuned,

Chris
Obviously Chris, you know what you're doing but if I were to add my $.02, having a place with enough dock space is probably the most important thing. Remember what it took to get everyone in and out on October 1. I really hope the stars line up on this and I know I'm only one person, but I cannot make it the weekend of May 13; my son is graduating from college.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, you already know that Erik and I are in. There is no doubt in my mind you'll have the logistics perfect. Keep us posted!!!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely interested
Old 11-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.