Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Mid Atlantic US
2018 SML Poker Run >

2018 SML Poker Run

Notices

2018 SML Poker Run

Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We ended up doing the run this year for the first time, and had a good time! It was about 95 degrees all day, but better than rain. Maybe 35-40 boats, not a huge turnout. Met someone else there with a 87 panther so they had us docked together��. Probably will do again next year. I was curious as well how the alienation began.

Anyone do the bay poker runs? Don’t think they do jammin on the James anymore? My wife’s brother lives near Washington NC so maybe we will venture down for the haulin ass on the pamlico run.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

This year at SML was my first ever PR. We had a good time but not a great time. It may be that I had my expectations set to high?? I wanted to see more Poker Run type of boats. I see houseboats, pontoons and bass boats at Lake Anna every weekend. After the start of the run, boats went in all directions to the various stops. After the first mile, I did not see some of the boats again, depending on what first card stop they decided to go to.

Sydways

What do you think it would take to get the better (my opinion) boats back to SML? It is a beautiful place and having a PR is a great way to get likeminded people together. Is there still a strong enough HP boat scene in the Richmond area?

Dboss33

I saw both of the classic Scarabs. You guys were docked across from us at Mariners Landing. Love the look of the classic Scarab. If we go, again this year I will look you up. Would like to hear more about your boat over a drink. Looks like you have put a lot of work into her. She looks great. It looks like Norfolk area has a good poker Run “Powerboating for a Cure”.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There is a strong powerboat crowd in Richmond.

1) The Poker Run for a Cure is about 20-30% Richmond boaters every year.
https://mapacharity.org/

2) Years ago, there was a really bad accident at SML. It involved a drunk driver in a Donzi 38 ZRC, who hit a cruiser and killed two people and their dog in the middle of the night.
There was nothing wrong with the SMLBA.COM that puts on the Poker Run...
...but the SMLPBA.COM https://www.facebook.com/Smlpba/ was formed specifically to advocate for a show the folks at the lake that "hated all the go-fasts" that we were not a greater issue.

Since all that falling out with the SML stuff, and that one chump in the Donzi 33ZX who waked everyone; the go-fast crowd (SMLPBA) and the other boaters (SMLBA crowd kind of went their separate ways.

To fix? Chump needs out of the Poker Run. And some kumbaya-ing between the two groups would get it back on track. The only other issue with the PR is the date. It's early, before Memorial Day (which is done on purpose before the lake gets too crowded with the regular summer crowd). Because of that, the weather isn't always the best. I've personally never had an issue with the date, albeit some of my race car weekends now coincide.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-25-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

You’ve got our support and help for anything we can do to get this run going back into the right direction. Glad to help with elimination of “dumb ass”....lol.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, definitely remember the Donzi accident, we were there that weekend, but that was back in our younger ski and wakeboarding days. Good to learn some of the other back stories as well.

Some of the older pics with the mti’s and outerlimits etc did make last year a little soft. Nice DCB and eliminator though. I think we may have rode the shuttle over to the bridge waterplay, did you have to replace your engine recently?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I can't remember if it was later that summer after the ZRC accident, or perhaps the PR weekend the following spring...
...but I'll never forget a woman pulling beside me in the shopping center parking lot in Appomattox, (while I was towing my 37AT) asking me if I was heading to SML. She then cussed me up, down, and sydwayz out the window of her white mini-van, with her children in the backseat. I could still hear her yelling as I drove off; telling me how we didn't belong on the lake.

The Chief of the Water Patrol knows all of the regular go-fast powerboaters, well. He speaks at every Poker Run kickoff. He is the first to admit that the go-fast community is the MOST responsible group on the lake. But the general public will always point the finger at us, after they get buzzed by a bass boat at 90+ mph, 30 feet from their "dockside oasis". Paraphrasing, but those words were right from his mouth.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dboss33
Yes, definitely remember the Donzi accident, we were there that weekend, but that was back in our younger ski and wakeboarding days. Good to learn some of the other back stories as well.

Some of the older pics with the mti’s and outerlimits etc did make last year a little soft. Nice DCB and eliminator though. I think we may have rode the shuttle over to the bridge waterplay, did you have to replace your engine recently?

Unfortunately, the boat had a cracked head and block when we bought it. We ended up replacing it as soon as we brought it home. That was a fun party that night.

Does anyone know if the Donzi person is still part of the PR? I think I remember one Donzi at the docks. He was in the slip two down from us.

I know I am getting started late into the performance boating scene but I would like to see and be part of more events like the before. It sounded like the Potomac River was great in the day but when we went out this year it was dead. We may just need to set a date to have some of us hang out at SML or the James River. The James is on my to do list this year.

Unfortunately the boat is tucked in and sleeping until spring so I pulled out the skis to hit the mountain. The wife says I have to many hobbies.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Come down this way... Powerboating for the Cure and the James River Fun Run (old Jammin' on the James) are a lot of fun. Big water down here to have some fun in too.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Come down this way... Powerboating for the Cure and the James River Fun Run (old Jammin' on the James) are a lot of fun. Big water down here to have some fun in too.
I will look you guys in the spring. How are typical weekends during the summer on the James? Many performance boats?
Old 11-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Tom, when is the James River Fun Run? That river is just awesome.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.