Retirement Smith Mountain Lake

Notices

Retirement Smith Mountain Lake

Old 06-21-2023, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Retirement Smith Mountain Lake

HI All,

I have been looking to retire on a lake since my trips to Lake Norman and Smith Mountain Lake.

I have been researching many lakes and have found Lake Norman and others are polluted. I also and not looking to be on a lake that has alligators. Seems most/all in SC/ Georgia have them.

So with that said I have been eyeing SML more and more. I can not find anything that says it is polluted and no alligators!!!

I would like to try to buy a house on the water. Nothing to crazy $$$$. I'm just an average working guy. Even thought about buying a piece of land and have a house built but know nothing about the process.

Can anyone recommend one part of the lake over another? What county is better to retire in?

I will be retired and getting older, health care will most likely become a concern as my wife and I get older.

The lake is pretty big and not really sure where to start looking more serious.

I plan on taking another visit to SML in a few weeks. I want to rent a house on the water to experience lake life and if I still like it.

Any pros or cons of the lake are also welcomed.

Thanks for any and all feedback
Old 06-22-2023, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been to LKN and SML. SML is a very quiet lake with much less to do around the lake. The water is definitely clean and clear. LKN is my fav because it's bigger and there's a lot going on in and around the lake. I love the warm water at both. My next bucket list lake is Lake Murry, SC
Old 06-27-2023, 09:11 PM
Registered

Thanks for your feedback.

I absolutely loved LKN. Just not sure about what I have been reading about the coal ash issues.

I have been looking at Lake Murray, Lake Hartwell and Savannah River locations. No alligators there!!!
Old 06-27-2023, 11:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have been going to SML for 20+ years. I do love it down there. It is quite isolated. Make sure you have a BIG pantry so you don't have to rely on restaurants. It takes a while to get anywhere by land.

I have older cousins who retired there, and found themselves bored. They definitely had to find some activities, social groups, sporting groups, book clubs, etc. etc. It's VERY slow and desolate outside of the boating season.

And things are definitely quieter north of Hales Ford Bridge with less boat traffic.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-27-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for your feedback as always!!

Can you tell me what area your cousins lived in?

I am planning on going down there in a week, than on to check out lake murray.

I absolutely loved lkn, but was doing some more research and nc is off my retirement list, for now.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

I’m thinking about retirement in the same area. I’m heading back down the second week in August and probably rent an Airbnb on the lake.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Underpsi68 did you make it down to Smith Mountain lake? I’m heading back down in 2 weeks.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Interested ! !
I have some more years to work, but have ideas of some of those same lakes eventually-hopefully
Old 07-19-2023, 11:38 AM
Registered

Yes I did!! I got home yesterday. I was going to update this thread just in case anyone is interested.

I spent 4 nights at Smith Mountain Lake and 4 nights at Lake Murray(SC).

Stayed at Mariners Village on the N/E side. This side there wasn't to much around like Griff said. I drove my car around to West Lake/North Shore peninsula. There were more stores and things to do here, and it is closer to Roanoke. I didn't make it to the south side of the lake by car-Rocky Mount. There looks like more on this side, it is a few mile drive to get here from the lake. I took my (small) boat. Drove the whole lake from end to end. Water seemed very clean and warm. Had a great time. There are a few small islands that you can pull onto, if you can find a spot. Mostly sandish, easy on the feet. What was a little strange is the restaurants around the water were not open all week. We had to pick the restaurants we wanted to go by the day they were open lol. Some were only open 3-4 days during the week, strange. Around the lake most of the land is not flat. Just something to consider if looking for a house. A lot of the houses had a lot of steep stairs to get to their docks. The East side of the lake (large Mountain), there is almost nothing there. Drove thru on my way to Lake Murray.

Next stop Lake Murray, larger lake. 70,000 acres and 650 miles of shoreline vs 20,000 acres and 550 miles of shoreline for SML. Also very beautiful and it seemed less people on the water. More things on land. Colombia city on the East side of the lake. We stayed in Chapin in a house on the water. Talked to a few locals. They said stay away from Lexington, to crowded. I guess it depends on where you are coming from and what you are looking for. Drove around the entire lake by car. Also rode just about the whole lake by boat. Definitely put some miles on my boat this trip. The owners where we stayed were impressed we drove so much on the water lol. Water seemed to be clean. More growth in the water alg the shore. I'm guessing because of the warmer water. Locals said they boat year round. There are 64 islands on the lake that you an go to and camp overnight if you want. Only a few of the islands were good to hang out on the shore. Most of the beaches were small rocks vs sand.

Also stopped at Asheville NC (homeless everywhere in the city), Sliding Rock NC state park and Chimney State park in NC on the way home.

I have a few more years till I "think" I can retire, 2 kids in college now with my daughter just starting med school to hopefully become and MD $$$$$.

There is a lot to think about moving to a completely new spot that I won't have any friends or family at.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by underpsi68; 07-19-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:40 AM
Registered

Smith Mountain Lake

The following users liked this post:
cheech (07-20-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.