LOTO Speeding at Night >

LOTO Speeding at Night

Notices

LOTO Speeding at Night

Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOTO Speeding at Night

Watch your speed at night on the LOTO. Was pulled over at the 9MM for doing 34 mph (GPS.) The offer said I was doing 37 mph, but backed off that when I told him 34 mph on GPS. Rumor is that all boats now have radar guns, part of a $60k AB donation last year. I agree with a night speed limit, but this seemed a little ticky tack.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

The 30mph limit is good, but they should use some common sense enforcing it. A lot of boats are tough to keep on plane at 30mph and below.
Not to mention, radar isn't perfect and is meant to be used in a straight line to get the most accurate measurement.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with Griff on this one to a point...30 mph is more than fast enough for night travel on LOTO....if you can't plane at that speed I suggest a nice slow cruise back home.... If your over 30 on your GPS your running too fast for the conditions and ticky tacky or not your gonna get stopped....
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually run 32gps at night as my boat is hard to maintain 30 as it keeps dropping on and off plane. did he ticket you or let ya off with a warning?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I find little actual difference between 30-37mph. Hell, I could claim speedo error all the way up to 40 I bet. It would seem to me that they could better protect by catching those w/o lights and those leaving bars drunk and over crowded boats.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

You can claim speedo error, but it not working properly is not a defense. Also, the WP is doing just like you said. They use the speeding to pull people over to look for BWI's.

FYI

at 30mph, you are traveling 44 feet per second.
at 37mph, you are traveling 55 feet per second.
at 45.................................66............. ..........
at 52.................................77............. ..........
at 60.................................88............. ..........
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Steve_H

typical for water patrol.

they always start the season cracking down on ANY mistake/infraction people make.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Never forget my first trip to LOTO in 97,,,, didnt know ANYTHING about a night speed limit,,,, but it was dark,,, and common sence had me driving slow.

I was going down the main channel and out of the black night,,, FLASHING LIGHTS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME !!!!!

He pulled me over and said I was going 36 mph,,,, I said,,, " OK' thanks !!!!

He then proceded to tell me about the speed limit,,, I appoligized and he let me go.

He said how dangerous it was with some of the poeple flying around at night,,,, I laughed trying to joke but get my point across and said not as dangerous as you sitting dark in the middle of the channel !!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i think water patrol told jason smith that if his boat cant stay on plan at 30 mph, then looks like he has a daytime only boat.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Like said a few times already, 30mph seems fast enough for me on LOTO. It is thin enough already, can be very dark in some areas and a lot of boaters are under the influence. Spend enough time on the water at night and you see everything. I have had people cut across me with NO lights, lights backwards (red and green switched) and people anchored with NO lights. Not sure I would want to encounter any of those situations again going faster than 30. My boat stays on plane right at about 26-28 with the tabs jammed out all the way thank god. If I couldn't I would be idling. Why give the WP a reason...

Quick Reply: LOTO Speeding at Night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.