Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Midwest
My boats first LOTO ExPeRiEnCe worth a read...... >

My boats first LOTO ExPeRiEnCe worth a read......

Notices

My boats first LOTO ExPeRiEnCe worth a read......

Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience LOTO has more than it's fair share of cops that are d!ck$. And, that is not just on the water.

I had a cop in Osage Beach write me a ticket for speeding for 3 miles over the limit. He told me he was writing me BECAUSE I WAS A FIRE FIGHTER!!!

That is not to mention the several pleasant experiences we have had with the water patrol guys. And, before you guys start beatin me up, I come from a family with lots of cops and I am always super respectful any time I get stopped.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Saw you leaving the Cove on Saturday...we were tied in tight and not going ANYWHERE...here was my weekend story...good thing we didn't hook up...there may have been some kind of catclysmic event!

Try this on for size...after having both truck and trailer problems the previous weekend (blown brake line and flat tire...simultaneously!), I was happy that AT LEAST the boat was still good. 7 hour tow down to LOTO was uneventful, thankfully. Put the boat in the water at PB2, and when I was idling over to the dock, I noticed that it was handling a little strangely. Then I noticed my port motor was running, but my prop wasn't spinning. Quick diagnosis: shifter cable is SHOT. After a couple panic phone calls to Obnoxus, we arrive at a plan, which I then execute. Pull the boat out of the water, disconnect the pin at the transom to disable the throw on the cable, pull the drive halfway off, and using an allen key and long needlenose pliers, throw the drive permanently into gear. So I have a crashbox that only goes forward on the port side, but at least I can run. After trying to back in to the docks at our condo a couple times, I just pulled in forward and called it good..thankfully it was a 40-foot slip. Party Cove the next day was good, as The Big Johnson made it easy on me and didn't try to get too far back into the mess. Sunday...we decide to run up the Gravois arm to a bar...there is a LOT of crap floating in the lake and my port motor starts to heat up. I accidently turned down the wrong cove, came to a stop, and decided to jump out and check to see if something was clogging my pickups. I raised the drives, jumped in, and felt...nothing. OK, no big deal...temps were high, but not overheating. Fired her up...and got NOTHING from the port drive again. Lifting the drives had pulled the cable and shifted it back into neutral. F#$%. We decided to idle to Franky and Louie's, where Eric was to meet us later anyway. Jayhawk Randy was our guest on board this weekend, and his 6-mo pregnant wife Janae was at the 4 Seasons getting a massage. She was good enough to come and get Randy and I (we left Michelle to have some drinks and watch the boat), drive us back to the condo to get the truck keys, go pick up the truck and trailer, drive to F & Ls (about an hour round trip), use the crappy dirt launch ramp to pull the boat, ask a local trailer denizen if we could use his driveway for a work area, pull the drive again and repeat the previous process. Put the boat back in, Randy drove the rig back to PB2 and had Janae pick him up, and Michelle and I ran the boat back. Basically...the day was screwed. However, we had a nice evening...and I drank some good rum. Monday, we went over to Backwater Jacks for lunch, all was good. Our guests took off, and we ran down into the State Park to drift and swim for a while. When I started the boat again and tried to get on plane, the port motor vapor-locked. Eventually, it started and ran fine. Went to Dog Days for dinner, and afterwards, the same thing happened. When it started again, we took a run down the lake and both of us started smelling gear lube...opened the hatch..the reservoir had come out of its holder and splashed it all over the bilge. Great. So...needless to say, I was ready to go home at this point. There were flashes of greatness for sure...both Hawks wins, Topsiders Friday night, the Cove, our wonderful guests, and my ever-positive wife...but I'm happy to be back!
Mine was overheating to on the way back from party cove... Sounds like you had quite a interesting weekend to. I am heading back down Friday to pick up my truck and boat. Hopefully be on the water here on Saturday. Those waves were HUGE this weekend... Cat that was with me cracked his windshield to lol. You all are probably used to the huge haves though. Hope you get it all fixed. Sucks to tow 7 hours and be broke. Guy with us last yeAr blew a head gasket within 30 mins of being there. So spent $300 in towing gas to not even use it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baywatch
+1

If you were in PC FRI afternoon sorry for not waiving. I don't recall seeing you but we were in and out quick because dirty glen had a bunch of saggy tatters out on the top of his houseboat and we had our kiddo with us.

You got profiled because you were an out of towner and looked young. When I first got my boat I got pulled over quite a bit but never any citations because I was always legit and I blow zeros because I don't drink when I boat.

One good thing is that the boater license should get you a break on your insurance premium. Though I was born in 1980 I took it because my insurance guy told me about the premium break I would get.

Hopefully you'll come back and have a better time.

-Josh
if it's the boat I'm thinking of we were tied up to saggy tatters. It started out as us and some 42 lightning and a scarab then he asked if he could tie up... Next thing I knew his 65 year old wife is walking around naked lol... Not the first set of hooters I hoped to see that weekend.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...o-weekend.html

anyone know anything on this thread from this weekend? This is the baddest boat I saw all weekend
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...o-weekend.html

anyone know anything on this thread from this weekend? This is the baddest boat I saw all weekend
Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an interesting trip for sure. Sucks you had such a rough time. Hope all goes well with the return trip for the truck.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wake jumping

I'm headed up to LOTO in a few weeks with my 28 Skater. I haven't been since '97 and would get pulled over for my props coming out of the water even back then. After a discussion about air entrappment hulls I was finally released with a warning. Now I have some grey hair but still the same issue that I cant cross a ripple without coming out ot the water.

Can some one give me the link to all the rules and regs so I can have my stuff together when the inevitalble happens.

Any advice on how to avoid problems?

BTW where is PC now?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered

come through the main channel away from dog days...take a right...u turn to the left and its your first cove on the right after the state park.... They safety checked me for, jackets, throwable, horn or blow horn, ease of access to jackets, db level of exhaust, state and letter spacing, registration, insurance
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
Well where do I start.

Thursday night we arrived really late and the other couple was passed out and forgot to tell us their room number so we had to sleep on the boat at tantaras ramp

Friday was a blast. We were one of few in the party cove but it was an awesome time

Saturday we hit the party cove all day. Lost my anchor and reel Looks like a new box anchor is in my future

Sunday got up and headed to the party cove and got pulled over. One of the girls was standing up holding onto a bolster while we were jumping waves. My numbers and letters were 1 inch a part instead of two. I didn't ahve a throwable. My horn sounds like a toddlers fart and didnt have a air horn to back it up; had 13 life jackets but they were in enclosures and didnt have a boating license. Been pulled over back home and never even heard of a boating license. So they tow me to the state park right there in the horse shoe to take a permit test. I take a test which takes me an hour (the whole thing is about jet skis) and pass. I missed two and then showed him that the two I missed were in the book. Guy was like hmmmm. Then I tell the cop how great it is they make me take a test to drive a jet ski when I am operating a 660hp powerboat. As I am going out to get in my boat a buddy of mine is being towed in. Got him for his boat being to loud and be blew a .11. I look in the book the cop just handed me and it says the limit is .11. So i ask the cop and he says no it is .08. After arguing he basically says he is right and we are wrong even though he is looking at it in the book he just handed me. He then tells my buddy that if he will go get $500 he will let him drive his boat home....So wait...you pulled him over and gave him a DUI but if he pays the $500 he can get back in it and drive it home??? Back in KY we consider that like a bribe. We didn't have the cash on us so they took him to city hall where the trailer told him they were trying to see if they could beat their record on that day of $84,000. On the way back to tantara one of my motors gets up to 220 for some reason and i idle it back in. We show up and pay and they let him out and tell us to enjoy the rest of the day on the lake. We all headed home to say the least.

Monday....We load up to head home on sunday and get to jefferson city and hear a loud POW. Thought I blew a front right tire. Get out and don;t see anything so I fire it back up and notice that my turbo isn't getting any PSI. I drive 1/2mi to a ramp and go in a gas station. Call my insurance company and arrange a tow. Call around and found Mike Kehoe Ford. Had the truck and boat towed their and they just happened to be open. We spent an hour trying to find a car rental company or truck rental and couldn;t Finally we found one an hour away. So I leave my truck and boat there. Dealership even has a guy drive me the hour drive to get the rental. We get ome and fall asleep and they call me at 10am to tell me my truck is fixed. So now my truck is 6 hours away and I gotta waste my whole weekend getting that.

It sounds like a lot of SH*T but we still had an incredible time, and will be back again. I think I saw some of you down there but never had any waves come from your way so wasn't sure.
The BUI limit used to be .10 until last year when it changed to .08. It has never been .11. The boat license thing went into effect a year or 2 ago as well. The handbooks they give out are not meant to be legally binding. I think you may be a little mistaken or misunderstood what the WP was telling your friend about the $500. That is the bail $$ he needs to get out after the chemical test at the station. If you don't have the cash, it will cost you more to get out using a bail bondsman. They probably meant he could drive the boat home later after the test and after he sobered up some.
There is nothing wrong with standing on the floor and holding onto the bolster while underway. You must be on the floor though. They use the number spacing all the time to pull people over for sobriety checks. A 525SC with dry exhaust is definately way over the db limit My single 525SC was over the db limit with wet exhaust.

I will say that your friend made an error in judgement and should not have been driving. He was over the legal limit. If he would have not been over the limit, he would probably have just gotten a warning. You didn't post anything about a ticket for any of your violations, so thats what I assume happened to you. The WP uses minor violations to initiate contact and enforce the BUI's to try and keep people safe. I do believe they are over zealous most of the time.

Sorry to hear about all the problems you had, but it sounds like you had a good time for the most part. Sorry we never saw you out and about or got to meet up.

Last edited by Griff; 06-03-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Saw you leaving the Cove on Saturday...we were tied in tight and not going ANYWHERE...here was my weekend story...good thing we didn't hook up...there may have been some kind of catclysmic event!

Try this on for size...after having both truck and trailer problems the previous weekend (blown brake line and flat tire...simultaneously!), I was happy that AT LEAST the boat was still good. 7 hour tow down to LOTO was uneventful, thankfully. Put the boat in the water at PB2, and when I was idling over to the dock, I noticed that it was handling a little strangely. Then I noticed my port motor was running, but my prop wasn't spinning. Quick diagnosis: shifter cable is SHOT. After a couple panic phone calls to Obnoxus, we arrive at a plan, which I then execute. Pull the boat out of the water, disconnect the pin at the transom to disable the throw on the cable, pull the drive halfway off, and using an allen key and long needlenose pliers, throw the drive permanently into gear. So I have a crashbox that only goes forward on the port side, but at least I can run. After trying to back in to the docks at our condo a couple times, I just pulled in forward and called it good..thankfully it was a 40-foot slip. Party Cove the next day was good, as The Big Johnson made it easy on me and didn't try to get too far back into the mess. Sunday...we decide to run up the Gravois arm to a bar...there is a LOT of crap floating in the lake and my port motor starts to heat up. I accidently turned down the wrong cove, came to a stop, and decided to jump out and check to see if something was clogging my pickups. I raised the drives, jumped in, and felt...nothing. OK, no big deal...temps were high, but not overheating. Fired her up...and got NOTHING from the port drive again. Lifting the drives had pulled the cable and shifted it back into neutral. F#$%. We decided to idle to Franky and Louie's, where Eric was to meet us later anyway. Jayhawk Randy was our guest on board this weekend, and his 6-mo pregnant wife Janae was at the 4 Seasons getting a massage. She was good enough to come and get Randy and I (we left Michelle to have some drinks and watch the boat), drive us back to the condo to get the truck keys, go pick up the truck and trailer, drive to F & Ls (about an hour round trip), use the crappy dirt launch ramp to pull the boat, ask a local trailer denizen if we could use his driveway for a work area, pull the drive again and repeat the previous process. Put the boat back in, Randy drove the rig back to PB2 and had Janae pick him up, and Michelle and I ran the boat back. Basically...the day was screwed. However, we had a nice evening...and I drank some good rum. Monday, we went over to Backwater Jacks for lunch, all was good. Our guests took off, and we ran down into the State Park to drift and swim for a while. When I started the boat again and tried to get on plane, the port motor vapor-locked. Eventually, it started and ran fine. Went to Dog Days for dinner, and afterwards, the same thing happened. When it started again, we took a run down the lake and both of us started smelling gear lube...opened the hatch..the reservoir had come out of its holder and splashed it all over the bilge. Great. So...needless to say, I was ready to go home at this point. There were flashes of greatness for sure...both Hawks wins, Topsiders Friday night, the Cove, our wonderful guests, and my ever-positive wife...but I'm happy to be back!
Good to see you again, even if it was only for a few minutes. Sorry to here you had boat problems. Next time call Performance Boat Brokerage or take it in to Kelly's Port. They are your best bet. KP has a same day service guarantee.We were at F&L's when you idled in to the back. I just figured you were going to park, but never saw you and when I looked after we got done eating your boat was gone. We ate a Paradise on Monday evening and saw you run by as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.