Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Offshoreonly Marketplace > New Products and Member Discounts
Introducing Max Volt Ignition - The Hottest Spark on the Water! >

Introducing Max Volt Ignition - The Hottest Spark on the Water!

Notices

Introducing Max Volt Ignition - The Hottest Spark on the Water!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

How about my question? Thanks
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Technically, IMHO, latency is more predictable when modern, quality surface mount technology (SMT) components are used. In part, quality control and SMT design has focused Engineering on SMT development to better satisfy packaging and deliverable circuit board costs. Therefore, the available SMT component options are capable of producing a better Golden Production Board. That is, subject to not using ROHS solder and flux. SMT is also thought to be predictable within a greater temp range.

Through hole does offer the benefit of being more secure, because the leads are placed through a hole, bent and soldered to a pad. However, SMT can be safely secured by quality, application specific potting material. Potting material serves not only securing SMT parts, but moisture protection.

You mentioned jitter, accurate jitter is also a function of Hi-level Engineering that may not be available in a Analog design. Advanced latency can be found in a programmable intergraded circuit (PIC) that can be confusing and therefore, labeled jitter. Analog fires capacitors, while Digital fires timers.
OK so first let me preface this is NOT me speaking as I'm not the electrical engineer but as a courtesy I went to try and get your answers. SO DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER.

Technically, IMHO, latency is more predictable when modern, quality surface mount technology (SMT) components are used.

Latency has nothing to do with surface mount. Period

In part, quality control and SMT design has focused Engineering on SMT development to better satisfy packaging and deliverable circuit board costs. Therefore, the available SMT component options are capable of producing a better Golden Production Board. That is, subject to not using ROHS solder and flux. SMT is also thought to be predictable within a greater temp range.

The term “Golden Board” is only used to refer to a single known good production item used as a reference for quality control and testing.

Through hole does offer the benefit of being more secure, because the leads are placed through a hole, bent and soldered to a pad. However, SMT can be safely secured by quality, application specific potting material. Potting material serves not only securing SMT parts, but moisture protection.

Actually securing large through hole components with potting material is much more important. You have it exactly 100% backwards. Heavy through parts need extra support, not the light weight, tiny surface mount parts.

You mentioned jitter, accurate jitter is also a function of Hi-level Engineering that may not be available in a Analog design. Advanced latency can be found in a programmable intergraded circuit (PIC) that can be confusing and therefore, labeled jitter. Analog fires capacitors, while Digital fires timers.

I’ve never seen the term ”advanced latency.” Also PIC is not an acronym, it is a prefix for Microchip microcontrollers, such as PIC16C71. We don’t use Microchip parts.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
how many degrees of advance curve is built into the box right now and at what RPM does it begin to increas and what RPM is full advance. Can an existing MSD billet distributor be used if the timing is locked out?

This info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The box is locked out your advance is controlled by the distributor.

So a locked out unit has no advance capability
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
OK so first let me preface this is NOT me speaking as I'm not the electrical engineer but as a courtesy I went to try and get your answers. SO DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER.

Technically, IMHO, latency is more predictable when modern, quality surface mount technology (SMT) components are used.

Latency has nothing to do with surface mount. Period

In part, quality control and SMT design has focused Engineering on SMT development to better satisfy packaging and deliverable circuit board costs. Therefore, the available SMT component options are capable of producing a better Golden Production Board. That is, subject to not using ROHS solder and flux. SMT is also thought to be predictable within a greater temp range.

The term “Golden Board” is only used to refer to a single known good production item used as a reference for quality control and testing.

Actually securing large through hole components with potting material is much more important. You have it exactly 100% backwards. Heavy through parts need extra support, not the light weight, tiny surface mount parts.

I’ve never seen the term ”advanced latency.” Also PIC is not an acronym, it is a prefix for Microchip microcontrollers, such as PIC16C71. We don’t use Microchip parts.
Practical and technical are both design descriptions. For example, critique only the FR4 board, through Vs. SMT, heat range is often stated not for the components, but for expansion contraction. The finite SMT ROHS part needs all the support possible.....So, are you using Rogers ?....etc & etc.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of information here about this ignition system, but is there anyone here actually using one that has an opinion?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
Lots of information here about this ignition system, but is there anyone here actually using one that has an opinion?
We are using the HI-6 M coupled to the Anson knock sensor. The HI-6 M was built/labeled by Crane.

The subject unit is thought to be the replacement for HI-6, but may have less features. Be it any electronic ignition system, ground is critical. A looped ground schematic is best. The electronic components will not tolerate voltage/current spikes. High frequency mechanical shock load can be mitigated by using rubber isolator stand off mounts.... 85* C is the top of the heat range. The unit appears to have heat sink protection, but subject to application, fans or other dissipation methods may be considered.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by CcanDo
We are using the HI-6 M coupled to the Anson knock sensor. The HI-6 M was built/labeled by Crane.
Where in the world did you find an Anson knock setup? And please elaborate. I have HI-6M's and would like to incorporate the knock sensor/retard capabilities.
PM me if you could tell me more about this.

Last edited by Rookie; 10-30-2012 at 10:10 PM.