Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage

Notices

Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage

Old 03-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage

I have a set of Bennet HD16 trim tabs for the Rage hull. I have seen a lot of discussion about the merits of mounting trim tabs horizontal across the transom rather than parallel to the V hull at the transom. I am interested in comments from Nordic owners especially Rage owners.

My reason for the tabs on an inland lake boat is to improve the ride for the misses who likes the open bow but does not like the high bounce up front from boat wakes at any speed above slow cruising (boring). Other than that or possibly bow down push during wake boarding at planing speed the tabs will be up for less drag the better.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage

Rage,
You might want to refer to my thread "winter projects" (2-3-06) below. I just swapped my Bennetts for Eddies. Before, installation, and after pics.
I have not tested yet. Maybe this weekend.
My recommendations are parallel to the hull angle, and as close to the chines as possible.
Regards,
Steve
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks. Good thread. I have the corner exhausts so not the same space constraints.

Has anyone tried tabs mounted parallel to the water rather than parallel to the hull on a Rage? I read that some of the OSO race boats were experimenting with an installation parallel to the water surface.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Registered

Rage,
Some friends of mine just took a 42' Fountain back to the factory to correct some handling issues. They noted while there that most of the fast poker run and race boats were running horizontal tab installations. Fountain gave them a long winded, esoteric reason for doing so. I don't know if I agree, but you cannot argue with their results on the racecourse and speed trials. They do have the fastest Vbottom in the world.
However, the 42' in question, and every other Fountain around here have tabs mounted parallel to the hull angle, and they all seem to work just fine. Every Nordic with tabs that I have seen also runs them parallel to the hull angle.
I will also be taking a hard look at the tab installations on the race boats at the upcoming Pickwick OSS race.
I HOPE to be able to give you guys some results on my project, but the weather man has been kicking my ass.
MAYBE this weekend.
In the meantime, I would run it past Lonnie.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 03-21-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks. I will check with Lonnie.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rage
Thanks. I will check with Lonnie.
Lonnie said that they run horizontal on their Blaze race boat. For my expected speed range he seemed to think that the parrallel to hull mounting is good enough or in other words I would not be able to notice the difference.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Registered

Rage,
My new set up below is working well. I also am posting pics of other high perf and race v-hulls. You'll note all of these are parallel to the hull angle.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage-tab-actuator.jpg   Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage-cigarette-transom-small-.jpg   Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage-nordic-transom-small-.jpg  

Old 04-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Registered

Rage,
That's Spiderman, OSS Super Vee champ 1st pic, and class speed record holder.
That's XXX in the 2nd pic. Hey if it works @ 160+...........
Last pic is an Arneson/Viper setup in a badass 388 Hustler.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage-spiderman-2-small-.jpg   Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage-xxx-5-small-.jpg   Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage-arneson-drives-hustler-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 04-13-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Rage,
That's Spiderman, OSS Super Vee champ 1st pic, and class speed record holder.
That's XXX in the 2nd pic. Hey if it works @ 160+...........
Last pic is an Arneson/Viper setup in a badass 388 Hustler.
Steve
Thanks Steve,

That settles it. Parallel to the hull it is.

One other question. The Bennett installation brochure says to mount the tabs 3/8" above the bottom of the hull but a rigger 'Mike' at Nordic says 3/4" above the bottom of the hull. However his reasoning was not very understandable. Something about interference with the floor at 3/8". There is no 'floor' next to the transom where the tabs would be attached? When I questioned he said I could split the difference.

Any recommendations/reasons would be appreciated.

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Bill:
1st re the installation angle. I finally got a chance to play with my tabs in the rough water at Pickwick this weekend. Let me say that they are working beyond my expectations.
I was able to cut down on kiting off swells, but maintain enough trim angle to run well, correct load imbalaces, lower the nose on plane off, reduce driving input to keep the boat on the pad (reduce chine walking). I also really like the cable driven trim and tab indicator, easy to visualize, monitor and adjust. No doubt, the "pecker" Stainless Marine versions would have been even better, because you wouldn't have to look down at the dash, they would be in line of sight. They were on every race boat I saw.
For installation, I recommend:
1 mounting as close to the chines as possible
2 parallel to the hull angle
3 I (you make your call) mounted mine 1/2" above the vee angle. I was trying to make a "step" of sorts with the tabs.
What the factory probably was talking about was interference with the engine compartment floor boards. Just make sure you're not drilling into any lines or wires inside the transom.
Regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: Trim Tab Installation Angle for Rage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.