Notices

Rage - Chine Walking & Trailer Q's

Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rage - Chine Walking & Trailer Q's

Hello there!

I've got a new to me 2001 Rage with 90 hours. I've done the following:
1. added a procharger, new gaskets, Imco Powerflow & SS pipes; AZ S&M recalibrated the ECU.
2. New XR drive and added Mayfair one-armed steering.

The blower is making about 4psi. I am running a Bravo 30".

I haven't been able to really get into the top end, only turning 5,000 RPM (rev limit is now 5,400). Trouble is the boat starts getting squirley at about 80+ mph, chine walking back and forth fairly violently.

Any thoughts? Can I drive through that speed and get it to smooth out? Do I need tabs? Has anyone worked through this.

SECOND question -
I am in Seattle - my trailer is shot. Any thoughts on replacing the trailer?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a few here running 90+ that will chime in. I haven't heard to much about chine walk but I could be wrong.
Dave
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think bobl can talk about chine walk in the mid 90's with TX_Instigators Rage (I think he backed out and wasn't able to take it all the way) , but they also found it settled down quite a bit in the low 90's with some weight in the boat.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

I've been messing around with my heat with gear ratio's and props. The boat was chine walking pretty bad at one point. Sent the prop out to be labbed. The diffuser ring was cut off and the boat really settled down tremendously. Only problem is if it don't work you just trashed a prop. Are you willing to experiment - $$$. Just my .02
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A v bottom going fast is a balancing act. Many factors play a part. Different props will make it do different things better. tabs will help but in the end you'll have to drive it. Anticipate as it falls to one side or they other. As it falls to a side twitch [ snap and return ] the stern over that way and balance it so that it doesn't fall. When it falls and hits it will bounce to the other side and progressively hit harder and harder. The trick is to catch it and not let it hit at all. I would suggest practice balancing in a lonely area slightly over trimmed to make the bow light and practice balancing it AT ABOUT 75 % THROTTLE.Wear your kill switch. I learned how to fly a STV with a EFI 450 lb 100mph boat. Once you learn to anticipate what it is going to do you can DRIVE thru it and as it begins to fly it will smooth out. BE CAREFUL AND DON'T BACK OUT OF IT TOO FAST. Maybe this will help. My 3 cents , Jim
Old 07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Thank you all for the thoughts. It's pretty snappy side to side - a little scary. Will practice a little bow light at lower speed.

Anyone put tabs on to correct it?

Interesting to think about the diffuser option. I do need to get the prop worked over and could do the diffuser.

Thanks again- Collin
Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tabs make a good boat better and will give you more control of the boat in every situation. Get a good set like K planes. I never heard anybody regret buying a good set of tabs.
Jim
Old 07-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Was cutting the diffuser off recommended to you as a fix for chine walking?

Any negative effects from cutting the diffuser ring off?

Originally Posted by raytart
I've been messing around with my heat with gear ratio's and props. The boat was chine walking pretty bad at one point. Sent the prop out to be labbed. The diffuser ring was cut off and the boat really settled down tremendously. Only problem is if it don't work you just trashed a prop. Are you willing to experiment - $$$. Just my .02
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered

Raytart - I am interested too in hearing more about the impact of the diffuser ring removal - is that on a B1 4blade?

ALSO - Anyone have problems with blisters/gel chips on your hull? I just got a steep quote from my marina in Seattle to fix some problems (prior owner banged the step on the trailer fenders, blisters along the chines on both port and stbd). Does Nordic have a hull warranty?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

My rage is doing the same at a little over 70 wit the tabs up. If i bring my tabs down just a little, about level with the bottom of the boat it levels out. Glad to know it's not just my boat, I am not experianced enough to know how my boat sould act just yet.

Quick Reply: Rage - Chine Walking & Trailer Q's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.