2011 NPBA Old Saybrook RUn July 23rd >

2011 NPBA Old Saybrook RUn July 23rd

Notices

2011 NPBA Old Saybrook RUn July 23rd

Old 07-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
The cat pulled off the the course, the OL SV 52 broke one driveline...If every racer in every race pulled off the course because they were not going to break a world record on that particular day we would not have racing of any kind- foot, boat auto, plane etc...sorry dude its OFFSHORE racing sh!t breaks then you fix it. I don't mean any disrespect Steve (thanks for the kudos) just tired of hearing people who call themselves "offshore powerboaters" whining about "offshore" conditions ...rant done back to your regularly scheduled program
No disrespect taken, but you're missing the point. This is not an offshore race against other boats in a class to win for that day...that race. I would agree with you racers should not pull off due to the chance of breaking down in an offshore race. You're running against similar boats in the same conditions anyone can win that day. A regular offshore race is for points and even if you don't run all out so you don't break, the boat ahead of you can break and you still win regardless how hard you run it.

In this event, it is a race against time, against the previous years and it doesn't matter who came in second, no points. If you decided to do this event to be apart of the nostalgic event is one thing, but if you decided to do this event to win, set a new world record by beating the time in previous years and you see no chance of it happening due to sea conditions knowing that you will push your boat with possible breakage or worst yet an injury then you are missing the point of why they would not run it "dude". It's this reason the Coast Guard has called off many races, poker runs and other timed events, risk of injury of boats pushing to win. As I recall, you were going to quit the race until you heard everyone else dropped out, kudos for you for pushing forward but don't get preachy about "Whining" or "breakage" when you were about to quit for the same reason.

This was meant as no disrespect to you but my point wasn't so much about someone pulling out due to a chance breakage, it was these particular boats came to break a world record not a race, and with the sea conditions that day it could not happen so why push your boat with a chance to break or injury if the purpose of the day can not be achieved? As I said, congrats to you for running it and finishing
Old 07-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by innerrage
but will a 21 ft boat have no problem in the sound that far out, its not on a lake, maybe i will just hang out that day at the finish line i got a couple of friends from puerto rico coming over that weekend(.)(.)
if we run it...come on our boat and we will split everything cost wise.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks justin i let you no, going out tomorrow, fix your bellows yet
Old 07-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

A couple of points to make and then Im done, I have no desire to get into a pissing match.

1. I entered the Don Aronow Memorial Marathon RACE Around Long Island, had it been called the Don Aronow Memorial Marathon Record Run, I would not have entered- my boat is incapable of beating Stuart Hayims record.
But I did enter to win the race....it was and is a race with an incredible history

2. I NEVER thought of quitting EVER, I had to stop for fuel and repairs I could not get under the hatch in the conditions offshore, was I tired and beat up? you bet your a55 I was, I was also totally ready to finish the race by myself if need be, ask my crew if you need proof

3. My comment was directed at guys with offshore boats that sit it out when the seas are over three feet, I just don't understand it...to me the fun of owning one of these boats is taking it out and learning to drive it.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Registered

Maybe I am not seeing it but is there more information on this run anywhere? I see the first link but I dont see times, route, etc. I may just be blind.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"On Saturday, July 23, we start the 2011 season with the OLD SAYBROOK POWERBOAT POKER RUN on Long Island Sound. We headquarter at Between the Bridges Marina in Old Saybrook and plan to start in front of the Pavilion Beach Club in Old Lyme.
We then head for checkpoint no. 1, Orient Point, for our first card, then travel to checkpoint no. 2, Montauk Yacht Club, for lunch and our second card.
At Montauk Point, the second start, the fleet has the option of going directly to the New London checkpoint or heading over to our checkpoint boat at Block Island. Some of the bigger, faster boats may enjoy this longer leg. Ultimately we all return to the Connecticut River and pick up whatever cards are needed at the finish, Between the Bridges Marina, where we will present the awards.

Old Saybrook Powerboat Poker Run: July 23, 2011

$400.00 after July1, 2011"

http://www.nationalpowerboat.com/2011schedule.htm
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
"On Saturday, July 23, we start the 2011 season with the OLD SAYBROOK POWERBOAT POKER RUN on Long Island Sound. We headquarter at Between the Bridges Marina in Old Saybrook and plan to start in front of the Pavilion Beach Club in Old Lyme.
We then head for checkpoint no. 1, Orient Point, for our first card, then travel to checkpoint no. 2, Montauk Yacht Club, for lunch and our second card.
At Montauk Point, the second start, the fleet has the option of going directly to the New London checkpoint or heading over to our checkpoint boat at Block Island. Some of the bigger, faster boats may enjoy this longer leg. Ultimately we all return to the Connecticut River and pick up whatever cards are needed at the finish, Between the Bridges Marina, where we will present the awards.

Old Saybrook Powerboat Poker Run: July 23, 2011

$400.00 after July1, 2011"

http://www.nationalpowerboat.com/2011schedule.htm
400 is way too steep for me. 250 would be more in line with what im looking to spend. we are probably out.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered

Looks like on ONE person responded with a "YES" so far. That's really too bad......as there are quite a few guys on this forum alone with some great looking rides.

I really think it's too bad that Billy can't see his run is WAY, WAY overpriced for what it is. I know we beat this to death in another thread.......but in my mind it's very clear...... Billy wants the "MINORITY to run......not the "MAJORITY".

Plan and simple.......keep charging $400 bucks and you'll get 25 boats (and not from the area). Charge $150 bucks and you'll get double that or more (from local guys).

The majority of guys around here are hard working, family guys....... who just can't justify the expense for one day on Long Island Sound. Not all of us can have our "Daddy's" pay for our boat.......like a few of the people on the forum. We actually make our OWN money.

Last edited by JayFan; 07-11-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Registered

got that right jay, think how much more it cost when you break something and get towed
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

You cant put the run on for $150. This isnt a stupid Pavillion run. When you have a rack full of performance boats, one of the most established shops in Ocean Performance, and can only get a few to attend a run but can get all of them to go to the pavillion or Claudios all day and spend close to the same amout is sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.