2011 NPBA Old Saybrook RUn July 23rd >

2011 NPBA Old Saybrook RUn July 23rd

Notices

2011 NPBA Old Saybrook RUn July 23rd

Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by OL40SVX
You cant put the run on for $150. This isnt a stupid Pavillion run. When you have a rack full of performance boats, one of the most established shops in Ocean Performance, and can only get a few to attend a run but can get all of them to go to the pavillion or Claudios all day and spend close to the same amout is sad.
You say this isn't the pavilion poker run yet it's pretty much the same route. What's so different about it aside from the outrageous price?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Agreed jay. I simply can't justify spending 400 on a run I can do with or without a pack especially when it's lining the pockets of a club I'm not associated with.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast9tech2
400 is way too steep for me. 250 would be more in line with what im looking to spend. we are probably out.
Originally Posted by JayFan
Looks like on ONE person responded with a "YES" so far. That's really too bad......as there are quite a few guys on this forum alone with some great looking rides.

I really think it's too bad that Billy can't see his run is WAY, WAY overpriced for what it is. I know we beat this to death in another thread.......but in my mind it's very clear...... Billy wants the "MINORITY to run......not the "MAJORITY".

Plan and simple.......keep charging $400 bucks and you'll get 25 boats (and not from the area). Charge $150 bucks and you'll get double that or more (from local guys).

The majority of guys around here are hard working, family guys....... who just can't justify the expense for one day on Long Island Sound. Not all of us can have our "Daddy's" pay for our boat.......like a few of the people on the forum. We actually make our OWN money.
You cant put the run on for $150. This isnt a stupid Pavillion run.
Some good points being made here. I get that it costs money to get these things off the ground... possibly the biggest hurdle being the cost of the insurance alone to put on such an event (just a guess as I haven't checked). If you're paying out prizes, that certainly adds up. Including meals, etc isn't cheap either.

In the grand scheme of things the difference between $250 and $400 isn't a that large when we're playing in a sport that cost what it does to begin with. Same can sadly be said when you look at $150 vs. $400. With that said, I agree $400 is pretty steep for what's being offered here and I suspect the turnout would be MUCH larger if it were $150 vs. $400.

In reality the entrance fee will probably be a lot less than half of what it would cost me to run this event. By the time I add in paying the NPBA membership, Billy's entrance fee, food and drinks, and then the large fuel bill, I have no doubt it would cost me north of $1200 to attend. Forget wear and tear or potential mechanical issues as most will want to push their boats... Granted, I know my boat will drink more fuel than most, but I'd think it's still going to be a $1000+ day for most folks. Sorry, but that's a significant amount of coin for the average Joe (which as Jay pointed out, is what the majority are). For those that have someone paying all their expenses, or for those that make really good money, it isn't a big deal. But let's be honest, for the majority, this is a lot of coin for what amounts to another day in our back yard.

When you have a rack full of performance boats, one of the most established shops in Ocean Performance, and can only get a few to attend a run but can get all of them to go to the pavillion or Claudios all day and spend close to the same amout is sad.
Same amount?!?!?! Not even remotely close! The reason why folks choose to do this is because either way they're spending the day on the water with their boat and friends having a good time, but only spending a small fraction of $1000+ to do so. To look at it another way, I could run over to Claudio's two or three time (or to the Pavilion even more), for what it's going to cost me to run this single PR... and Greenport is a nice run and a good time for an all day affair. Looking at the opportunity cost and knowing there's a limited boating budget for most, this PR looks a little less attractive. But for those that love to run and have someone footing the bills or are fairly wealthy themselves, I completely see your point.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to attend. I'd really like to, but the $1200+ I'm going to spend to do so is a lot of coin that I can probably put to better use (like several additional days on the water). This isn't to say I wouldn't swing by the Pavilion to see everyone, but I don't know that I can justify the money spent for this single event.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I'd really like to, but the $1200+ I'm going to spend
I think you're on the low side Scot. I can't believe all you guys with big engines aren't going to go through basically a whole tank of gas, running hard all day long.

Roughly $1K-1,100 gas
Entry fee: $400
NPBA fee: $50?

More like a $1,500 day!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

I think you're on the low side Scot. I can't believe all you guys with big engines aren't going to go through basically a whole tank of gas, running hard all day long.

Roughly $1K-1,100 gas

More like a $1,500 day!
x2...

for us small boats it looks like this:

fuel = $550
entry = $400
npba = $50? (does everyone on the boat need a membership)

$1000 minimum. Yikes. I can go on a cruise for that coin.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I were rich.
Ya..I'll prob just meet at the Pavilion and watch all the bad ass boats head out across the sound.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roughly $1K-1,100 gas

More like a $1,500 day!
Honestly in my case I suspect you're pretty close on the $ amount. My boat cruises nicely and effortlessly at 70 or so, but even at that it's still really thirsty feeding those 4 Dominators!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

I wouldnt go into a poker run for any more then 200 entry and BS on the "have to be a memeber" bs.
-Mike
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Although my sh!t never runs so who the hell am I kidding.
-Mike
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I won't even be around that weekend but here is my input. First I would love to do the run but I think what I am hearing from everyone on here is that they do not see the value. Dan your right I will go to Block for the day and between fuel dock eating and drink all day it is close to the same cost. (friends on the boat always pick up tabs for food and docking which makes it easier) but it is an all day event. We usally leave around 10-10:30 and come back to Saybrook around 9:00. During that trip we have a great run then sometimes we sit out by Fishers and have a drink then we run in and grab lunch go over to Ballards and listen to music and watch all the retards then we head over to the National and sit out on the deck have another drink maybe something to eat then head back to the boat and then we usally will stop on the way home go for a swim then come back to the Back Porch for a burger and then head home. This run goes from the Pavilion through Plum Gut and to Montauk have lunch run to Block to pick up a card on a boat and run back to Between the brides(which you need to come back to for the prizes etc). I did the Pavilion trip last year and had a great time. I understand you want to go run the boat not go 18 miles to Claudios and sit there all day ( although it can be fun too) I am with you. I want to take my boat somewhere, that is why I hate the river so much. I think for these guys to justify the cost they need more out of like a stop in Greenport then a stop in Mantuak, Block etc. and then a dinner or cocktail event that night. Just my .02. But I will say that I believe that anyone who does will have a great time! And to Jay Fan's point there will be bunch of boats that show up and maybe do part of the run with these guys wouldn't it be better to get money from them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.