Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Northeast US
Let's try to put a little life back in here. >

Let's try to put a little life back in here.

Notices

Let's try to put a little life back in here.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildThing47
Congrats on the new ride Scot
Thank you Pat!

Maybe we can play "follow the leader...." if anyone else wants to come out and play
There's no doubt the OL's are faster, especially your cabin-less carbon/epoxy super-weenie!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SS930
I think a lot of the speed this boat has is in the layup, it seems to be pretty light for an early TG. I realize it's kevlar, but I've now seen this boat parked next to a couple of other similar glass TG's and it sits noticably higher in the water. With 1200's I can see the (lowered) drives possible keeping it well planted as this power would no doubt carry the boat further out of the water, but I suspect there would still be more speed in her with them raised a little... how much height and speed, I don't know.

The boat hops so bad due to all the weight in the back, it will always likely need some tab to control it unless a decent amount of weight was added to the front (which nobody wants to do). Going up 2" will certainly gain some speed, but it will also come out of the water a lot easier when running offshore... The drives on my OL are pretty high and even with 17.5" props, it doesn't take much for the props to come out of the water. So while the rasied drives might be faster in claim water (going up a couple of inches should gain several MPH), the down side is it might be slower in rougher conditions as the props will spend less time in the water, it will likely be less settled, and it might porpoise even worse. I think Frank has seen this to be true in his Tiger since he lowered his drives. Like everything, there's a trade-off. But if Kevin is just looking for more speed and a better roostertail, I agree raising the drive a couple of inches and going with larger diameter props will make a big difference.
Twin Steps and straight bottoms react substantially different to drive height. Tres Martin told me that twin steps like deeper drives and straights like higher x dimensions. Tres spends hours on hours dialing boats in for speed and handling. Tres is the one who told me to lower my x dimension by an inch or inch and a half. I went down an inch. It is now a completely different boat. First it obviously gets on plane easier. Second it is not surfacing the props constantly any more. Third my slip numbers dropped a ton and cruise speed went up 3 mph. Forth the boat rides better(before it would bow steer) because it leverages the transom. My top speed is about the same well actually it 1 mph slower, but I had to install offshore pickups and when I did that I lost 4 mph. So in reality I gained 3mph on top end too. Tres gave me a few things to do to dial in for top end which I have not done yet. I would say Kevin should try a 1 inch spacer for sh1ts and giggles to eliminate it from the equation. I would guess it will gain speed raising the drives but who knows. Straight bottom Cigs love trim so how ever he can leverage the transom while not surfacing props will give the best cruise and best ride and best speed. My .02 which probably only worth .01

Last edited by 4195; 08-20-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Typically straight bottom cigs love trim because the factory drive height is buried in the water, higher the drive the less trim it will require. I'd imagine a stepped boat needs the props a little deeper to get out of the aerated water.
I think also a set of 17-17.5" props on Kevin's boat labbed to help carry the bow may help reduce the porpoise a little bit.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Typically straight bottom cigs love trim because the factory drive height is buried in the water, higher the drive the less trim it will require. I'd imagine a stepped boat needs the props a little deeper to get out of the aerated water.
I think also a set of 17-17.5" props on Kevin's boat labbed to help carry the bow may help reduce the porpoise a little bit.
My spare props are 17x31.....were gonna have to build enough power to use them!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

If we're gonna build new bigger power those aren't big enough
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickSticks292
Hey Pat are you going to run in the pavilion poker run?
I'm thinking so, depends what week in Sept it is. I'm not sure what the dates are, I will be heading down to FL with the boat soon.

Scott: most OLs have high X dim's. I'm just being fun, my comments weren't directed as a negative, just friendly banter I like my oscar mayer floating weenie wagon lol

Kevin: Tabs are always needed to keep the boat down, the weight in the rear makes her want to fly. 42 Tiger did it pretty bad, you scrub allot of speed when you tab it but if you can hold on in a 2ft sea, it'll fly right over them, problem is mainly in calm water. Just my .02 cents.

Jamie is right on what he said, you need big rake on those props, 18-21*.

Last edited by WildThing47; 08-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm thinking so, depends what week in Sept it is. I'm not sure what the dates are, I will be heading down to FL with the boat soon.

Scott: most OLs have high X dim's. I'm just being fun, my comments weren't directed as a negative, just friendly banter I like my oscar mayer floating weenie wagon lol

Kevin: Tabs are always needed to keep the boat down, the weight in the rear makes her want to fly. 42 Tiger did it pretty bad, you scrub allot of speed when you tab it but if you can hold on in a 2ft sea, it'll fly right over them, problem is mainly in calm water. Just my .02 cents.

Pat I heard the run was Sept 7th
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Pat, finally upgraded to a boat with 6's, so it is heavier back there. I can make it ride straight and flat no problem, just gotta either keep drives tucked in or trim a bit and use tabs. Once boat hits 60, I can trim up slowly and use no tabs....Just takes alittle getting used to. We all gotta do a tie off day before fall so I can climb on that OL...Havent seen it in person yet.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kreed
Pat, finally upgraded to a boat with 6's, so it is heavier back there. I can make it ride straight and flat no problem, just gotta either keep drives tucked in or trim a bit and use tabs. Once boat hits 60, I can trim up slowly and use no tabs....Just takes alittle getting used to. We all gotta do a tie off day before fall so I can climb on that OL...Havent seen it in person yet.
I think I may be around for the 7th, that can work.

That's excellent Kev, and yea, so I heard. You'll get used to it...big difference from Bravo's eh?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Registered

Is there only two websites to buy cig tshirts from? Thats lame

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.