Rules 2006

Old 07-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Rules 2006

hmmmm..

So, I make more then 100 drive units per year. Am I to believe they will allow my drive units in the racing classes?

Cannot produce a competitive advantage. This is abstract as is something reliable an competitive advantage or is it purely speed related performance advantage?

What is a competitive advantage?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rik
hmmmm..

So, I make more then 100 drive units per year. Am I to believe they will allow my drive units in the racing classes?

Cannot produce a competitive advantage. This is abstract as is something reliable an competitive advantage or is it purely speed related performance advantage?

What is a competitive advantage?
anything that doesn't say mercury on it...
Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

RIK, I believe the class wants everyone to run the same equipment so there is as equal racing as possible. Yes it is Merc. #6 drives that everyone uses. Possibly if your company offered a sponsorship package to OSS and a truck with a contingency package to the racers at the conception of OSS they may have all been running your drives. You make a great product. Keep up the good work.
MD
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Merc just started the contingency $ and they have been the only show in town for the past 10 yrs. Others would have to ease into that role the same as they did.

OSS conception is a totally seperate issue as it was and is a Merc only show from the start. No one else was even given consideration.

Believe it or not the race trailer is there for their $$ sales opportunity more so than the service aspect. Nothing is free in that thing.

First I would just want to be allowed in the race. Then if a actual service need arises we can handle that from that point onward.

Same equipment. Well they all cannot be just Arneson so that would never work with that premise. It also would not allow Pat to have any race customers either or others.

We need all the choices made available to the racers and let natural selection take its course.

Else, make it one boat, one engine, one out drive, one color, etc..

Sounds kinda boring right.

Do that and let the boat manufacturers scream bloody hell for a while.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys:

Re OSS rules, there is a lot of baloney delivered here by people who are not affected by these rules at all, or who don’t even bother to read the rules which are clearly posted on the website. So, by the way are the names of the BOD of OSS. Click and ye shall see.

Technical Rule Changes: Are usually effected on a class level. Class votes unanimously on an issue, hands it to the board, board rubberstamps it, unless it is a decision that negatively affects the whole organization. It’s simply a checks & balance thing. If a class would vote to race two blade props only, next year they would race two blade props only.

Parity Issues: Not effected on a class level. Any parity decisions are made by a secret committee of racers. It’s secret to avoid any undue influence. If a boat runs away from the pack consistently, weight is added. If a boat lags behind consistently, they may even race with less than the regulation weight. The idea of this is to keep racing exciting and the fans (who are often cited as the final arbitrators of all things in racing ..) happy. Handicapping has been around race sports since they existed. Weight is added to horses and dogs. Gasoline and RPMs are restricted on racecars, and so forth. And if you don’t like that, pay the money to race the Xtreme classes where you can go as fast as you can afford.

“Mercury Show Only.” Baloney. Our boat for instance runs what we call a “gipsy drive” a mixture of IMCO and Mercury. Allowed. If a class votes to run Mercury only, or IMCO only, or Vortec only, or whatever, then that’s it. There is a tendency for more and more votes going to Mercury only, and that is because Mercury stands consistently behind their product and their truck stands at the racesite, and they have a contingency program that keeps racing affordable. Work with the racers and the racers will work with you. These are the racers voting and making their own decisions, and nobody else. If you don’t like their decicisons, rally the racers to change their vote. Nobody has ever gone to an OSS class and told them: “From now on, you can only race Brand X.” It’s always been the racers who have made that decision for themselves. The Weissmann drive on the Peppers boat was grandfathered in for their old hull (so was their slightly exotic engine ..) --- new hull , no more grandfathering, adhere to the rules voted by your peers.

If I’d be a drive manufacturer who wants to be part of the OSS show, then I would approach a class, show them the merits of my product, tell them how I would support the product at the racesite, and try to get their vote. It's a process called marketing. If you want to sell a product into OSS, your core customer is a class.

Bottom line: The rules at OSS are made and changed in a democratic process. If you like that, then work with the process. The growth of OSS is testimony to a working process. If you don’t like democracy, then you have other alternatives. I’ve heard, North Korea still needs a sanctioning body.

Last edited by TheBS; 07-09-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by shifter
I have more questions regarding the rules for this year. On 6-29-06 there was a change to the rules for drives. Make a 100 units a year to get in the class, make sure it is as bad as the current drives on the list? Funny.

pat W

Again, you have to talk to the racers on that. Previously, the rules mandated "production units." The "100" rule was added, because some demanded a definition for "production unit." So they got their definition. Be careful what you ask for, you may receive it. Also, making 100 units doesn't get you in a class. It makes you eligible for consideration. You still need a class decision.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Rik.....I hear we will see your drive racing in OSS on the Travis boat in supercat as it has now been grandfathered in.....so thats a start.

Pat.... come on now..... Pappers was trying to use your drives that tehy weren't even using?????? They got them granfathered on there old 36' even though they hadn't raced with those drives on there boat in something like 8 YEARS!!!! They have had IMCO / BRAVOS on there boat since after it was crashed in Biloxi forever ago!!! SWince then they've been sitting in a shop somewhere, NOT ON THE BOAT. They should have no problem selling these drive to someone for a pleasure application if they need the cash......same as all the guys with the illegal skegs on the 6's.

If either of you guys wanna get your foot in the door at OSS you could become a series sponsor at a VERY resonable price. Please email me if you are intrested and we can discuss some options. [email protected]

PS most LABOR on the Mercury truck is FREE on site.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Without the Mercury truck and their great gang, Typhoon wouldn't even get off the trailer, let alone off the dock.

We love you, Mercury! Selfish love ....
Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Ryan, even though that boat's some 14 yrs old, it's good to hear for Travis.

From a business point of view it will be wiser to know you are allowed in before you sponsor a series that blocks your access.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Ryan Beckley]Rik.....I hear we will see your drive racing in OSS on the Travis boat in supercat as it has now been grandfathered in.....so thats a start.

Pat.... come on now..... Pappers was trying to use your drives that tehy weren't even using?????? They got them granfathered on there old 36' even though they hadn't raced with those drives on there boat in something like 8 YEARS!!!! They have had IMCO / BRAVOS on there boat since after it was crashed in Biloxi forever ago!!! SWince then they've been sitting in a shop somewhere, NOT ON THE BOAT. They should have no problem selling these drive to someone for a pleasure application if they need the cash......same as all the guys with the illegal skegs on the 6's.

If either of you guys wanna get your foot in the door at OSS you could become a series sponsor at a VERY resonable price. Please email me if you are intrested and we can discuss some options. [email protected]

PS most LABOR on the Mercury truck is FREE on site.[/
QUOTE]

I didn't know that, do they give you racers any kind of discount on the hardware or is it at market price?
Mike

Quick Reply: Rules 2006

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.