Notices

OPA question?

Old 05-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default OPA question?

What happened to the less expensive entry fee with less prize money that EVERYONE voted on? Several people told me they were confused on the new cost to register to race. Instead of being reduced it actually went up. Do the people have a say or not.
Also people told me they are also confused on the pay out of prize money How can a class with 3 boats in it pay the same as a class with 15 boats in it if we all pay the same entry fee. Are we missing something, but more boats in a class makes it more difficult to win and also generates more money in that class. That class should be entitled to more prize money.
Don't shoot the messenger we just want some answers.
Mad Dog
Old 05-02-2003, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy, no one is gonna shoot the messenger unless I give the OK. Call me and I will explain.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Randy

AS for the classes we have pretty much the same amount of boats in each class, if we are short a few P 1 we will let you run there. The entrance fee went up 50.00 from last year. And is going back to the purse. We felt what is the sense in racing, if there is nothing to win? We are only paying out over 5 classes so the payouts could be substantial. Any other questions? 732 920 3945 or [email protected]
Old 05-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

No one is gonna shoot the messenger unless I give the OK.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

At the December meeting, everyone overwellmingly voted for "trophy racing", to keep the entry fees to a minimum, and increase participation. I was very surprised when the entry fees were announced at $500.00, and boat registration at $450.00, plus crew registration fees. I think you will find the "lower budget teams" selecting one or two races to participate in. IF OPA followed the "vote" of the racers, I would have raced in all, however, the mortgage comes first.
"What is the sense in racing, if there is nothing to win?", Why then go to all the SBI races when they have not paid?
I personally think that OPA missed the boat on this by having a "vote", and then not following what the racers overwellmingly voted for.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:58 PM
VIP Member

Default Bob

Bob, I dont think we missed the boat, we are looking to grow the NE. A purse is major. Maybe not to a local team, But we have teams traveling distances. To walk away with a trophy and a check will bring them back and hopefully more. The entrance fee is 500. 250 of which goes to the insurance to run the race the other 250 goes back to the racers. If you need help with the fees there are a lot of local buisnesses that would easily put up some entrance money, come and see me I have left overs from last year.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, "we", the board of directors of OPA(Kurt,Tony P., Smitty and Myself) didn't bring that question up for a vote.....Randy did and we looked at this in great length. I feel we did a pretty good job and most of the racers don't have to travel too far, everything is in the early stages, keep in mind that this is our first year running with our own insurance.....we're gonna learn something "NEW" at every event, all we ask is for the teams to give everything a chance to unfold or I will send "The White Cadillac.)
Old 05-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you guys see Mike Allweis's comment in the general discussion area about his support for OPA? I think it would have been good to align with APBA LLC and pay equipment membership and team registrations to only one organization.
I do favor the payment of prize money and don't mind the $500.00 entry fee. GLSCS charges $550.00 per race. Ed, keep in mind my team will be overnighting at least for 1 night plus meals for two days for each race we do. Could you throw us some of those extra bucks?

raynman

Last edited by raynman; 05-06-2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Raynman, I did see Mike A's. Post and thought that was really nice of him to offer. We will see him in Marathon, I have never met him. Snglstack, The Days of the Jenkinsons Jackpot is no more. They remain as a friend of the OPA and do Sponsor to some degree, but it takes a lot more to put on all these races. And while I am at it, the statement by Robert in ref to SBI not paying their winnings, I can only speak for myself and my team, last year we ran every race SBI had except for the first one in Miami. We got paid for every race we ran, except for New Orleans. And that is only because the city did not hold up their end. I am sure John will do the right thing. Ed
Old 05-02-2003, 10:02 PM
Registered

Randy..I like the way SBI pay's out...

AWARDS AND PRIZE MONEY

5. Pay out will be based on the number of boats starting the race in their class. Five
(5) boats starting in a class will receive the prize money as posted for that class,
less than five boats will be as follows:
Four (4) boats in a class will receive prize money from 2nd to 5th
Three (3) boats in a class will receive prize money from 3rd to 5th
Two (2) boats in a class will receive prize money from 4th to 5th
One (1) boat in a class will receive prize money for 5th place.
Any class with eight (8) or more boats starting (crossing the start line) will receive
an extra $1,000.00 (40%-25%-20%-10%-5%) added to the prize purse for that
class.
Example: If a class has $7,000.00 listed prize purse, and they have eight (8) boats
in their class, the prize purse for that class will be increased to $8,000.00.
Trophies will be awarded to the first three finishers in each class.

That's the way I think it should be done......the more per class the higher the payout.

Robert... you also bring up a good point. You are an example on how th OPA is losing money. You said you will probably race only one or two races this season because of the costs. Here's my math...

2 race's @$500 = $1000
5 races @$350 = $1750

I'm not a CPA but that's $750 difference (not to mention all the other money you would spend on race weekends)

I feel bad for the OPA board because your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't. But....when an overwhelming majority of the racers speak their mind in a vote (formal or not) I think that it should weigh heavy. Remember...we are all here to have fun and exciting racing. The more the merrier. Thanks, Qball

Quick Reply: OPA question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.