Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
New Idea for P5 in OPA >

New Idea for P5 in OPA

Notices

New Idea for P5 in OPA

Old 06-24-2003, 07:23 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Wifes gonna kill me

Originally posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Only if that boat the boat doesnt kill you first
It hasn't yet, but if it ever did, you might as well bury me in it...
It's about the right size.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GPS is a good start although I still say there is more than one way to sandbag and blow away the competition. Run smaller props. A team that does their homework can prop their boat to run at the top of the selected class and let's say the the prop needed to do this is 4" less than the boat is capable of running. With rev limiters he'll never run over the class speed and even if tested by the inspector the boat will not run over the speed. Now, if another boat has the biggest prop that the boat can turn also runs right to the top of the class speed, who do you think will win? The sandbagger will win the race in the turns and acceleration out of the turns.

Acceleration is a big issue with me, why, cause that was our biggest obstacle running against bravo boats. We've run props as small as 28s up to 35s depending on the conditions. Just look at the water and determine how fast you need to go to win the race. Take a look a in the back of Billy Mauf's truck, last time I counted he had 16 SETS of props. Easy to apply the same rules to P class, take a P2 boat and prop it ro run P3, you'll win every time.

The GPS will generally only catch those teams that don't test and don't know their boat. I guess I should say those that have no self control on the race course too.

At the season opener all boats should be tested by the officials in ideal conditions to verify that the boat can not run over the class speed and the boat is not bouncing off the rev limiters. Then through out the season do spot checks. If the officials keep the info recorded then they can check prop size at the inspection before the race. If something changes then retest the boat. After initial instpection you could also use the seal system that merc originally had for the F classes. Don't go crazy just do enough to deter. If the seal is broken then you need to retest. I'm sure the OPA could buy one very cheaply now that APBA has gone to CRE.