Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Offshore Super Series (OSS)
Much BIGGER turn markers. >

Much BIGGER turn markers.

Notices

Much BIGGER turn markers.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,746 Likes on 3,797 Posts

how about each lap the leader puts a yellow jersey on, or a strobe light on his helmet??
Old 07-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Randy, I think Ben is right. Coming from someone who has been directly affected (Daytona) a few years back by the size of the buoys, my excitement, being told all about the BIG water in Daytona, being so spooled up and so on. Making those types of mistakes in my opinion makes us all better racers. I know I`m MUCH more comfortable in a turn with you than I would be with, well; someone not as experienced. What I`m saying is it`s our job to get better, not the APBA`s job to make it easier for us. My .02 cents. Later
Old 07-20-2003, 11:13 AM
mikejill

Default Markers

I can see where it can be pretty bad, but if it works... why change it.

THe beacons are a good idea... how large do they get?
I think the only problem they would have with that would be the cost. SOmetimes spectators will go out and steal buoys.....

We had one guy out there this time... he had a flag on his boat but was not part of the race. We drove up and asked if he had a map of the course... but he didnt. We knew he either didnt know where to go or shouldnt have been there. He was sitting anchored right in the middle of the course.

anywho...
Hugs

Jill

Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 PM
blackhawk

Okay, I am no racer but I love watching so I thought I would post.

I think what Randy is trying to say is that all the classes seem to have tightened up a lot in the last few years and races are very close sometimes. When these races are that close bigger markers would be helpful for making the races SAFER. Bigger markers are not going to take away from navigating the course, just make it safer as racers get close and set up for the turns.

Old 07-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it from you name and avitar, you are the proud owner of a donzi blackhawk. Sweet ride
Old 07-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

BINGO!!!!!
MD
Old 07-22-2003, 02:51 AM
PTSonic

Typhoon racers, I think you guys are great,great racers. I have raced with you and against you. I don't know what unfortunate incident occurred that set you back. I know you guys are good enough to deal with the size of those buoys. After all you lost turn 2 not 1 after the straight. Savannah blew me away when that same buoy disappeared after 2 laps. It really sucks you had it taken away from you. Coming into this race I figured you to be the team to beat. OPA did a great job putting this race on. Bigger buoys would help. I know you guys are good enough to start setting up for these turns a mile away and I believe it is your frustration with the final outcome that has led you to be pissed. I would be too. I have watched films of you guys and you guys ****in fly. You guys are good ,you already have a great history and it will get better. I only hope my history in offshore racing can catch up to you guys. Pat Tkacz Sonic Racing ,Driver

Old 07-22-2003, 11:09 AM
mikejill

Luck

What happened to the buoy? Did it float off? I thought I heard Jim say a buoy was loose, but that was on the spectator line.

I agree with PTSonic. I wish you guys more luck. You guys are awesome and i hope to see you guys come back in Key West and Bahammas.

I saw a few guys miss one of the turns... I yelled "Where are they going? It appears that the finish line boat lost its roof and the flags with it. Maybe thats the one?

It was a terrible sight when the finish boat lost its top. THis boat came back and i was like "That boat... theres something different". and MIke was like "Yeah, it lost its top."

Good luck to you all. I pray for alls safety every night. You guys have sorta taken over my life.. Im spending time trying to figure out if we can go to ALL of the races next year. Mike and I are nuts over this.

Be safe all...
See you down south...

Jill

Old 07-22-2003, 11:13 AM
mikejill

Maybe I can help.....

Im going to try something....
Maybe what they need are Bigger Turn boats...
Heres what I can do...
I will talk to Jim next time we come to a race. I will see if he will let me call every marina in the whole area and ask for BIGGER BOATS. We will hang the flags on the masts and voila... a better turn marker.
As long as you stay 50 ft in front of it.. you will be fine.

Let me talk to him next time. I think we are going a week early to the bahammas and key west so I can be on the cell all day long.

Be good...
Jill

Old 07-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a freshly DQed member of the "Where's that friggin buoy" society, I can attest: Randy has a point.

BTW, I mentioned the strobes to Kurt, even volunteered to donate some for the cause. Kurt said they had tried the strobes. Only good during fog. He also tacitly aknowledged that the bouys can use some improvement.

Quick Reply: Much BIGGER turn markers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.