OPA St Clair in the News

Old 07-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OPA St Clair in the News

Powerboats hit the water today in Classic

By JOSEPH HAYES
Times Herald

Sailboats dominated the Blue Water Area two weeks ago with the 82nd running of the Port Huron-to-Mackinac Island Sailboat Race.

Today, powerboats take over.

The 12th annual St. Clair River Classic, featuring offshore powerboat racing, will take place with three races today.

The first race is scheduled for noon, followed by races at 1:30 and 3 p.m.

Race officials expect more than 60 boats for the event.

Parking will be available at several locations in downtown St. Clair. The best viewing is along the boardwalk in Palmer Park.

Teams spent Friday and Saturday fine-tuning their boats, Time trials were held Saturday afternoon on the St. Clair River, which was the site of the Garwood Classic in Algonac last month.

"No race is ever the same, so you have to be prepared," said Ray Genick, Team Unleashedowner and a Harrison Township resident.

"It's a combination of adrenaline, worry and pride to finish a race. It's a real accomplishment."

Many of the top boats in today's event are from out of the area and state, there are several local entries in the event.

Besides Genick's team, there's Traffic Light, owned by Ed Smith of St. Clair, Crockett Marine Engines, owned by Tyler Crockett of Ruby, Crime Paysowned by Bobby Walinske of Harrison Township, Stress Relieved, owned by Derrick Starks of Chesterfield and Ken Oil Racing, owned by Ken McMartin of Richmond.

"We're at the point where we're finally ready to go," Walinske said. "The motors are ready to go and the whole team is excited.

"We're looking forward to a great race."

For more information on today's race go to www.stclairrace.com.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OPA St Clair in the News

Powerboats rule St. Clair River
Traffic Light, Crockett win division titles

By JOSEPH HAYES
Times Herald

The event drew a crowd of between 10,000 and 15,000. Fans were entertained by boats traveling more than 100 miles per hour.

Even a storm that swept through the area between races couldn't put a damper on the crowd.

"I have never been to a powerboat race before," said Melodie Beck of Roseville. "I didn't know what to expect, but I'm happy I came."

Local racers enjoyed a successful Classic.

Ed Smith of St. Clair has competed in the event for years but enjoyed a strong performance aboard Traffic Light.

In previous years, the 50-year-old owner and driver of Traffic Light was the only driver in the P1 division.

Smith competed with three other boats Sunday in the division, which has a maximum speed of 115 m.p.h.

Despite the competition, Smith cruised to the victory.

"This was just an awesome time out here today," Smith said. "To win this race, in my home town, is just special.

"We probably put in around 100 hours of work before the race, and to see it all pay off really gives us a lot of excitement and satisfaction."

Tyler Crockett of Ruby was on the throttle in a victory for CrockettMarine. The driver and owner is George Eisenhart of Thompson, Ohio.

Drivers said racing on the St. Clair River is a grueling test.

While the crowd sat through hot, muggy conditions, drivers said temperatures in their boat compartments soar to more than 140 degrees.

"In that type of heat, it's just an accomplishment to finish the race," Smith said. "When those temperatures get 140 to 150 degrees inside the boat, it takes everything you have to stay awake and not pass out."

Drivers said they couldn't wait to get out of the heat following the race.

"I've been all around the country, and this is one of the best offshore races there is," said Bobby Walinske, the owner and driver of Crime Pays, which finished second in the P3 Division. "The heat made it tough, and my team ran into some electrical problems that slowed us down a bit, but we still did a great job of finishing today."

Sixty boats competed in one of the three, 70-mile, 10-lap races which each lasted anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour.

"When I finished the race it was just an awesome feeling," Smith said. "I went and got the (American) flag so everyone could enjoy this victory.

"After all, this is what the race is all about, making all of the people here happy."

and not pass out."

Drivers said they couldn't wait to get out of the heat following the race.

"I've been all around the country, and this is one of the best offshore races there is," said Bobby Walinske, the owner and driver of Crime Pays, which finished second in the P3 Division. "The heat made it tough, and my team ran into some electrical problems that slowed us down a bit, but we still did a great job of finishing today."

Sixty boats competed in one of the three, 70-mile, 10-lap races which each lasted anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour.

"When I finished the race it was just an awesome feeling," Smith said. "I went and got the (American) flag so everyone could enjoy this victory.

"After all, this is what the race is all about, making all of the people here happy

Link to Article