Notices

OPA/Key West

Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

OSS DID NOT make the OPA boats join OSS as members or register there equipment at Destin for the 2007 season.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley
OSS DID NOT make the OPA boats join OSS as members or register there equipment at Destin for the 2007 season.
With all due respect Ryan, OSS wasn't in a position to potentially amend their class rules to allow OPA boats to run with them for a unified title. It was OSS........ and it was OPA - independent racing at a joint site. I gather that SBI/APBA and OPA are working to fine tune class rules to allow them to run together in many cases. I may be wrong on this though.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess one could join OPA and run in one of OPA's classes and find out the answer pretty easily. I'm not sure it's reasonable to ask if you can register a pro class boat in OPA and expect to run in the Key West Pro Class race.

Vinny, do you agree? Or have I put words in your mouth?

I agree that you may not want to pay SBI fee's out of principal, as many wouldn't pay OSS fee's if they controlled the site. In this case, as a Pro Class Boat, I don't think you can expect anything different other than paying to play in your class.

At any rate, if the races are different weeks, that's great news for those who want to do both.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

I sense a little tension here. On behalf of the OPA teams. Have we ever let you down? Destin was great, We were treated like equals. No complaints. But there was no offer for 07. We have always been tight with SBI. The offer was there. Hell of a deal. Any registered OPA team can give me a call for info. Smitty
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Registered

Smitty I don't think there is a OPA team out that would ever question your desitions because we all know you are making desitions for whats best for the OPA racers and the sport....

We all want to race in Key West and you have done a great job in working with John on doing this....AND LETS NOT FORGET....YOU DO THIS FOR FREE.....
keep on doing what you have set out for....the progress you and the guys from OPA have made in the last year has exceeded what some have been trying to do for years and years.....this years Worlds will be big...and with the comunication you are having with John in getting the P-Class's together is great....
This is a great example on 2 sides working together to take this sport to the next level.....no one ever said it would be easy....but you have proven ....IT COULD BE DONE.....
Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered

Vinny....I don't think anyone here thinks there going to get a free ride to Key West threw OPA.....Now what Smitty is working on with SBI/APBA is up to them...

Bob is right on...I have never not paid all fee's to race in the Worlds...and if this is going to be for a World Championship for P-Class and be in a place were everyone wants to be....
I thought thats what we all wanted...
For all the money we spend on racing and rigging in a year....
I didn't know that...what maybe $1,000 or $2,000 dollars were going to stand in the way of what we all want....

Hell I'm sure you have spent triple that in some of your races in the past...

We all have made sacrifices many of times in are racing years....some more then others....but we all have done it...

So if it comes down to a little money you would ratter not attend Key West then to put on a great show that in the end will benifit you and this sport more times back...
I just don't see some people's thinking....on this...

Hell....did you ever think...you may easily pick up a sponsor for next year to cover your cost of this years Worlds....the publisity of the Worlds with 100+ boats in it have been great success in the past....you have been there many of times.....
Old 03-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

Ryan,

Thanks for the update; I paid in PW and in Destin. and never questioned it.

I think OPA being allowed to race without equipment registrations was excellent and only made sense because OSS did not offer those classes.

That's the same as we did with APBA boats from other categories in Marathon. They raced and Offshore did not require any fees or charge them to participate and everybody won.

Thanks for the information

Not to get off track here, As I stated earlier great job Smitty, Augie and OPA keep up the good work and I look forward to racing with the Jersey Boys in MD.

Bob
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Bob B,I am not confused at all I realize we must pay where we race. I did not understand they annoucement that OPA was special and invited, under the sbi rule book we are all invited. As ryan mentioned there were no org. fees at destin for opa they ran there race and OSS ran there race. OPA was invited in 2006 but I think the bulk of the racers liked the idea of not all the fees and a prize purse. Nevertheless go have fun Bob.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

No one will race in KW for free. However OPA supoorts it's teams, and has been pretty successful raising funds. We might just raise enough to cover the costs......who knows.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Registered

Smitty - probably never gonna happen but has there been any chance to get a true "Event" sponsor for the Worlds? You know like they have for each race in NASCAR or the "Buick" open for golf, , etc. I'm thinking with the way Fountain puts their name all over everything they or someone similar could pay to have their name used and it could transfer to free entry, television coverage, etc to benefit all the teams. Dreamin I know but how long has it been since all these boats got together??? Someones gotta jump on it.

Brings up another point....will the worlds be televised? Makes a huge difference when tracking down sponsors.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 03-14-2007 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: OPA/Key West

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.