Notices

What gives

Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Default What gives

Does anyone have any interest in that single outboard class over seas? I saw that video a few weeks ago and what a blast that looked like. It seemed like 25 plus boats hammer down. I would think that could be the ultimate class in the US at a affordable cost.
MD
Old 11-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Randy,
I tried to get some OB guys racing in Patchogue, at first there was a storm of interest then a flurry of smack talk, Smitty okayed them racing with out paying an registration fee, in the end one boat showed up and he raced his butt off in class 6, they were real balzy! and put on a great race. Who knows maybe this year there will be more interest. Louie

PS the boat that raced was "Intimidator"
Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I liked the idea of a spec motor and was thinking of a less expensive F1 option. A real 60-70 MPH at WOT at a entry level budget. Start the first year with class 6 and see if it grows. Just a thought on good hard racing WOT where cost should be key.
I got to believe getting one outboard manufacture would be much easyer to sponsor a motor due to the amount of product they sell vs Merc. racing.
Another thought would be make a standard hull that must be used in building your boat. If manufactures wanted to build the decks different that would be ok but the bottoms would all be the same.
What would a mold cost to build for a 26' hull only? And then whats a ball park cost on laying up a dependable hull?
Whats a ballpark on a deck and cockpit?
Remember its a race hull not a pleasure, keep the cost down and only have one color.
I also think the possibility of sponsorship might be possable if your whole program was under $50k. 10-$5K sponsors just might be possible.
MD
Old 11-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Racer
Racer

They run 2 classes, a 150hp and a 225hp with the 150hp being 22ft and the 225hp being 25-26ft (I Think). I just happen to find a old issue of H2O Mag at Vicious Marine today and they had a great 6 page plus write up about how the is the biggest draw in UIM right now. One picture I seen had 15 plus boats that I counted at the start.

I found a few used ones for sale (In England) priced from 25k to 50k U.S.D.

Figure you could get Yamaha, Suzuki or even Mercury to sponsor such a class with discounted engines to the teams.

I think a "TRUE" Entry level spec class that you could get into a complete new boat for 40K would be killer !!!
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Registered

This sounds like an awesome idea. It would give an affordable cost to boat racing and the entry level warrior. Why not go along a variation of the 21 superboat/shadow. attempt bringing back a mold along those lines with a 200hp. that hull would give you the best rough water performance out of a small boat.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I liked the idea of a spec motor and was thinking of a less expensive F1 option. A real 60-70 MPH at WOT at a entry level budget. Start the first year with class 6 and see if it grows. Just a thought on good hard racing WOT where cost should be key.
I got to believe getting one outboard manufacture would be much easyer to sponsor a motor due to the amount of product they sell vs Merc. racing.
Another thought would be make a standard hull that must be used in building your boat. If manufactures wanted to build the decks different that would be ok but the bottoms would all be the same.
What would a mold cost to build for a 26' hull only? And then whats a ball park cost on laying up a dependable hull?
Whats a ballpark on a deck and cockpit?
Remember its a race hull not a pleasure, keep the cost down and only have one color.
I also think the possibility of sponsorship might be possable if your whole program was under $50k. 10-$5K sponsors just might be possible.
MD
Randy, I love this Idea, but can you get the manufactures to add a 26 to their line up. Now your getting the ultimate spec class 1111, 1hull, 1motor, 1drive, 1 weight and the manufactures can create their own identity with their deck design. Or, If a manufacture had enough resources the build their own class like the one design did but with an open cockpit boat that would appeal to the average Joe, it must be a duel purpose boat such as the Honda Spec Racer. Here are some engine manufactures that should push a 26 60 to 70mph, maybe Steve could splash the Oaty boat a few times and
sell hull molds, a 26 would be the perfect size for a class like this, but all Hulls from the same mold or all molds from the same plug.

http://www.pcmengines.com/60.html
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/383_Magnum.htm
http://www.1800runsnew.com/NLM/perf-engines-NLM.html

You should be able to be in the water 40 to 50K
Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

It is a great idea.
You would probably want to only use one manufacturer to
keep control of the hulls. In the Sports Car Club of America,
we have what is called Spec Racer. All the chassis were
built by one firm. All the engines are sealed and rebuilt by
one firm. They run spec tires.
Transfer this idea to a 23-26 foot boat. Same hull, same motor, spec prop. Everybody has same everything except
skills & Nutz. No worries about being outspent.
I think 21' would be a little short for open water. Set them up to run about 60-65MPH.

Ideally, you would want one firm or organization to sell the
boats, to help maintain control. Basically, if I wanted one,
I would call "Randy's Boat Co." and purchase the boat
rigged or in bare hull form if I wanted to rig it myself according to a set of regulations. That doesn't mean Randy's
Boat Co. has to build them, Get a manufacturer to commit
to build the hulls.

Something to think about for sure.

Rich
Undertow 611
Old 11-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would lay up 26's for everyone at a very affordable cost. Spec 26's w. outboards would rock!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

How much would a narrow beam est 26'race boat cost? Just the hull? If you had a choice between a Mercury, Evinrude, Yamaha, and Honda maybe the manufactiures would give an incintive to run theres.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bat boat is probably the most popular out board race boat in Europe. GlassDave has the molds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.