GPS readings???? >

GPS readings????

Notices

GPS readings????

Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two units are great if you can afford them but remember...ONLY ONE UNIT FROM EACH TEAM HAS IT'S SERIAL # REGESTERED WITH OPA! Hence, that is the only one Allen will go by.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastedy
We were a team that ran 2 GPS and asked for permission and it was granted, with our intension of only turning the registered unit in and the 2nd as a back up. I see no problem with this, we spend a lot of money just to get to a race I would hate to loose do to a faulty unit or an improper connection, what the odds of screwing 2 units up or having to antennaes coming disconnected. We never had a problem so we have never had the 2nd unit read but I assume it reads same as the 1st unit. With that being said I do belive that when a unit or units do not read your DQed, final.
Just my .02

I don't understand, if you unit does't read correctly do they ask you for your second one or do they move you to last place??? If they only read the one that is registered, then why have a backup if they won't read it????

Smitty, am I missing something???
Old 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I see it, the 2nd unit would only be turned if the 1st/registered unit fails, period, not miss reads, or break out, no one broke out more than me, I never asked for the 2nd unit to be read to challanged the 1st unit. The price of these units are less than half the old entry fees for one race, at least in the F1 days. I don't see why it would be a problem but I'll let it go, just commenting on the current thread.

Eddie

Last edited by fastedy; 02-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Louie, I had no reading in Cambridge and we were DQed on the spot. No test run,no second chance. It was over and we went to the back of the pack. I was OK with that beacause that was the rules. Now maybe it should be totally clear to all teams what the rules for 08 will be on this subject. Now is the time to spell it all out before the season. I understand OPA is about having fun and keeping teams happy so they keep racing. So as racers you should all let Smitty know what your feelings are.
MD
Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Fun Home, Yes you and others are missing something because its not clear yet what the rules will be in 08. OPA needs to post exactly what the rules will be on GPS systems for 08 and how they will be read and posted. Speed runs after a race wont work if your boat is back on the trailer and then you find out your GPS didnt read. There just isnt time or man power to do it. I would think a second unit should be legal and if you dont want to spend the extra money then dont and take your chances with one. I also dont think there is any tolerance for any speed over the bracket speed either at the start or finish. Set it up that your top speed is at the finish after you burn your fuel. These are just my opinions only and Im sure most of you have your own and I would suggest you post them.
MD
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Randy, I dont believe you were DQ'd in Cambridge, since that was not even the rule. I will look it up but if I remember right you broke out.

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 02-11-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

I just looked it up...You Broke out.

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 02-11-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is if at ANY TIME you go over your bracketed speed, you are moved to last place. TY, if you want to use the 2 GPS units, then I guess you will be into changes in the rules and I'm sure you will help Allan and his crew collect and read and verify that they are all good. Now, what if both units go bad? Should you have a third? And what if the two units read different? Which one would you use. I don't have all the answers but the way the system works now is real good. I do agree it would be nice to see the readouts. And no, I don't feel anyone is cheating. We were out ran all last year, had a blast. Now we are trying a different class to see how we run there. Maybe you would like to handle the extra parts for all the teams. That would be very nice and well taken. I hope the powers settle this very soon so we can get out there and have some good races and even better fun.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Racer
Racer

I would just like to say something before we go on with this important discussion. Most of us don't really know how time consuming running a race organization is, last year I watched Smitty, Alan, Mike and Frank work there butts off so we could race, and race we did. The current GPS system has only been in use for 2 seasons, it works well but it can be as quirky as some of us racers. As I recall, anytime there was an issue, Smitty handled it personally and ruled as fair as possible. Sometimes the end of the stick you get handed ain't the one you wanted but "it" happens. Randy, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have a GPS failure at the Destin Worlds year before last? Wasn't it ruled by your class and Smitty that it was too rough to break out and you received the win? Sounds pretty fair to me and maybe that should be entered into the rules. In Cambridge we raced against Smitty and Anthony got 2nd the 1st race and 2nd the 2nd race until Smitty told us they broke out giving us the over all win, sounded pretty fair also. So the solution might be if you lose your GPS in a flat fast race where a break out is very possible the boat has to be run, if you lose it in a race with ten footers and class 1 is averaging 70 mph it might not be necessary. Just some idea's to make things better, and not to forget the guys who worked hard to get the OPA where it is while we are out racing.
Group Hug, Louie
Old 02-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Ok, Are there rules for these question? If so where are they for me to read? Just seem's we all have different thoughts on what the rules are.
MD

Quick Reply: GPS readings????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.