Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ??? >

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Notices

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
I believe that promoting boat racing in the Northeast can do nothing but help the sport.. No offense to everybody else, but there is alot of potential in the Long Island area. Nobody has any money these days, until it comes to play time. You can't compare all the BMX stuff to boat racing, slightly different price bracket, but it can be done. Last years Patchogue race was a home run. You guys generated alot of interest in the area, keep with it. Anywhere I could help, please don't hesitate to ask Brett
I can’t speak for the amount of money involved in BMX But in SX/MX there is much more money than you realize. One rider turned down a 1.2mil a year from deal from an Energy drink company because it was "insulting deal"

Target Stores have stepped up and put down some big $$$$ to sponsor a single ride. For what? To get a logo on a GLOVE!! ???
Attached Thumbnails What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???-target-gloves.jpg  
Old 03-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to think outside the box to make it work.

Mike
Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Racer
Racer

Hey Brett,
Thanks for the compliment and the offer, we can always use help, Patrol boats and help on the shore too. Rick I think what Brett was saying is the amount of money we spend on our equipment in offshore is substantially more then a BMX racer,
it's probably more then most racing out there. I guess what is on all of our minds is how come a guy with a souped up lawn mower or a $3000.00 bicycle ( which he probably gets for free), can attract million dollar sponsors and we have million dollar equipment and we are sticking on decals for a few hundred bucks. I'm baffled, I guess all we can do is do our best to change it. Maybe it has to do with the constant battle to keep race sites alive when our fellow racers in other fields have a constant place ot race with out all the effort we go through? I often thought it might be how we handle ourselves,
you know maybe a little to wild at times but look at pro wrestling, can't get much more controversial then those guys.
Like I said before it's up to us to go out there and bring in the sponsors and keep swinging, look at the positives, like Augie said, we have grown tremendously and a lot of great things have happened, we just have to keep at it. Louie
Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by louietherigger
. I guess what is on all of our minds is how come a guy with a souped up lawn mower or a $3000.00 bicycle ( which he probably gets for free), can attract million dollar sponsors and we have million dollar equipment and we are sticking on decals for a few hundred bucks. I'm baffled....
BINGO! Thants my question.

I don’t want to post 'too much" but I spoke with a Leading Energy Drink CEO Friday (this is what started this thread)

I think I’m going to have my boat decaled up saying how Energy Drink’s kill and damage your liver..
Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy's I'm working on something with Smitty's blessing to promote OPA/The Jersey Boyz/Offshore Racing even more but it's all gonna take time. Sponsors don't want to see fighting and bull$hit when and if they come on to OSO, show them we are professionals in a crazy kind of way. The Jersey Boyz and OPA did everything with our racers in mind, family fun but we run hard. We're even nice once in a while. They want to see other teams working all night to get another teams boat running for the next days race. People have forgotten that and what it has taken to get as far as we have in just four years. Guy's, keep being positive and the sponsors will come, it's gonna take a little more time but I feel it will happen and me, Smitty, Louie The Rigger and Evil Ed are gonna work our a$$es off to try and make this happen (and you all know my a$$ is getting bigger each year) John Haggin has proved this is all possible and he supports OPA/The Jersey Boyz 100%. Thanks Haggin. Thank You all for your support of OPA/The Jersy Boyz. We're gonna have a KICK ASS 2008 Season. You guy's (and ladies) are THE BEST!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered

Again guys....I don't thing you know how hard you have to work to even get one sponsor....If you think you can just call up a company or send in a proposal and expect to get a sponsor its just not going to happen....you may have to talk to 100 potential sponsors and of them, maybe 70 will tell you to send a proposal....of them 10 may want to talk some more, of them maybe one of them we give it to ya and under there terms...

If we as racers put in the time, effert and money that OPA spends to put on one race...alot of us would see we can get sponsors....but its just that....it takes alot of time, when most racers have a full time job the way it is...and yes...you are going to have to put up your own money to put a good proposal together...plus you will find yourself buying plane tickets to offer to meet them in person....plus expenses....

Yes its nice to hire a PR person to go out and get you sponsors and just pay them a % of what they bring in...but you first need to make your team marketable....

For evey 1 thing you can bring up is possitive for your team....a company will ask you 10 things why you could be a risk....

Guys.....if you think a million doller company is going to have you market them and they no nothing about you....be ready up front...

They are going to do such a long background check on you just for starters....

I'm not being negitive about it....it can be done and is being done in our sport....but we seem to always be putting the blame on the Organization we race in....

From the entry fee's are to high...
The prize money's not enough....
There's not good TV.....
People who run the Orgs are making money.....

We all could help for one....and market our teams in a perfessional way that will help OPA sell us to a big name sponsor....

Agian....I'm not trying to sound negitive to Rick or anyone else...but if you want money from sponsors....be ready to put in alot of time and work to get it....the same time, work and effert it takes to run a Organiztion or put on a race....

And Rick....this is a good thread.....alot of good info can come out of a post like this and give some teams ideas which way to go....
OPA has always had a open door policy....and discusssing things that can help us both are good things....but remeber....we first have to put on a show...and I thing last year was a pretty damm good one....and will help OPA for 2008.....and we have to even make it a better show this year....we as racers need to do what ever we can to make as many races as we can....we all agree the boat count is a must in our sport....having 10 to 12 boats in 6 class's will make for a great show....and close racing on top of that is a success waiting to happen....

If any racers needs any help to make it to a race or needs parts to make it to a race....you know OPA is the place to speak up and tells us what you need....and we will get you there....we don't want to leave any racers behind and miss a race becasue you don't have the money for a part...or you can't afford a hotel rooms....If we stay together and grow as a Org. things will fall into place....even if you can't get any sponsors.....the Bigger OPA gets you know the bigger the prize money and other benifits get....OPA has shown that in the last few years....

So keep trying and get that boat ready....you Mich boys have some HUNGRY Vess's on the east coast waiting for you guys...

Last edited by MANITIE; 03-16-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Registered

Hey Rigger I luv it when ur politicaly correct ( we're to wild ) those of us who behave like a$$holes know who we are

But we're working on it

consistancy is everything if oldman Smitty dosen't look to peel the green bannana too soon and sticks to his guns in 3-5yrs I could be a FAMOUS BOAT RACER !!!!

Hey Gino I need rooms for OC & st clair
Old 03-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Again guys....I don't thing you know how hard you have to work to even get one sponsor....If you think you can just call up a company or send in a proposal and expect to get a sponsor its just not going to happen....you may have to talk to 100 potential sponsors and of them, maybe 70 will tell you to send a proposal....of them 10 may want to talk some more, of them maybe one of them we give it to ya and under there terms...

If we as racers put in the time, effert and money that OPA spends to put on one race...alot of us would see we can get sponsors....but its just that....it takes alot of time, when most racers have a full time job the way it is...and yes...you are going to have to put up your own money to put a good proposal together...plus you will find yourself buying plane tickets to offer to meet them in person....plus expenses....

Yes its nice to hire a PR person to go out and get you sponsors and just pay them a % of what they bring in...but you first need to make your team marketable....

For evey 1 thing you can bring up is possitive for your team....a company will ask you 10 things why you could be a risk....

Guys.....if you think a million doller company is going to have you market them and they no nothing about you....be ready up front...

They are going to do such a long background check on you just for starters....

I'm not being negitive about it....it can be done and is being done in our sport....but we seem to always be putting the blame on the Organization we race in....

From the entry fee's are to high...
The prize money's not enough....
There's not good TV.....
People who run the Orgs are making money.....

We all could help for one....and market our teams in a perfessional way that will help OPA sell us to a big name sponsor....

Agian....I'm not trying to sound negitive to Rick or anyone else...but if you want money from sponsors....be ready to put in alot of time and work to get it....the same time, work and effert it takes to run a Organiztion or put on a race....

And Rick....this is a good thread.....alot of good info can come out of a post like this and give some teams ideas which way to go....
OPA has always had a open door policy....and discusssing things that can help us both are good things....but remeber....we first have to put on a show...and I thing last year was a pretty damm good one....and will help OPA for 2008.....and we have to even make it a better show this year....we as racers need to do what ever we can to make as many races as we can....we all agree the boat count is a must in our sport....having 10 to 12 boats in 6 class's will make for a great show....and close racing on top of that is a success waiting to happen....

If any racers needs any help to make it to a race or needs parts to make it to a race....you know OPA is the place to speak up and tells us what you need....and we will get you there....we don't want to leave any racers behind and miss a race becasue you don't have the money for a part...or you can't afford a hotel rooms....If we stay together and grow as a Org. things will fall into place....even if you can't get any sponsors.....the Bigger OPA gets you know the bigger the prize money and other benifits get....OPA has shown that in the last few years....

So keep trying and get that boat ready....you Mich boys have some HUNGRY Vess's on the east coast waiting for you guys...

Nothing but good vibes and communication in this thread!!

The problem I’m getting is trying to get the sponsors to see that this is a real sport with real value in sponsor boats, teams or events. I have spoken with people I have worked with in the past that have will sign a check in a week if we were to start a Supercross/MX Team but shy away when asked to support a Offshore boat, They just don’t get it! It’s just aggravating trying to get these potential sponsors to see the value in Offshore racing.

I will keep plugging along and I’m going to meet with the Monster guy 1 more time when the Detroit Supercross rolls into town in a few weeks and with the DVD proposal and video I had made up that condenses all the information into a 7min format I’m hopping to get and keep his attention long enough to finish a conversation. (Plus I’ll be sending the DVD out to others)
Old 03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Racer
Racer

You guys haven't given my dilemma a thought, I've been picking up sponsors left and right, I just keep using them for the race instead of our boat!! Well it's all good, I keep hitting this crane guys wife up for money and so far so good!
I even had to give up my rights to the TV remote controller, can't say I'm not dedicated. Keep swinging Rick!
Louie
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Excellent thread.I really think that in order for our sport to attract corporate sponsorship,we have to continue to improve our product.We need to capitalize on the things that make our motorsport unique.The appeal has always been boats not only racing each other;but battling the elements of the open ocean as well.OPT in the late eighties televsied some rough water races that recieved rave reviews.I remember my friends in college saying to me...that is so wild...it is so much more exciting than car racing...I wish it was on TV more!In this era of extreme sports,offshore powerboat racing has a ton of potential.I agree that the show is an important part of the package;but the emphasis needs to be on the racing.We need to build a strong fan base and present ourselves as professionals. Everything else will take care of itself.

Quick Reply: What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.