Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > OPA/The Jersey Boyz
What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ??? >

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Notices

What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What's wrong with Offshore. We have Fans, people but why not the sponsors?

Not in a bad way in an advertising way... I know there are a few big sponsors out there but I'm really shocked not to see more.

I have a buddy whose kid who was getting 35K a year at 14yrs old to run a Monster Sticker on his helmet and bike, this year he’s getting more from Rockstar!! (Same company as Monster in case you’re wondering)

I have worked with Yamaha of Troy and one of there riders is getting 100k plus for the same Helmet sticker deal… a tinny little sticker that you cannot see unless your 5ft away!

I just can’t believe sponsors are not lining up to get there names on the sides of boats. We have pits and people that are way more accessible and friendlier than any other motorsports... we have a 30ft plus billboard that is perfect for any company’s wrap; we offer advertising even while towing our boat to the races... Last year I could not stop and get gas without being asked question about the boat or people taking pictures of it.

I know we don’t have a TV deal like Supercross, but can you really even see the logo’s on a Supercross Bike? NO, HELL NO you can’t.

Just Venting..

Last edited by 2 Trick Rick; 03-30-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

simple..we havent marketed ourselves to the people doing the markleting...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

I am in DEEP right now with the Marketing World. Deep meaning I have probably paid them more than I'll ever see back. I am beginning to believe it's who you know.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by phragle
simple..we havent marketed ourselves to the people doing the markleting...

I have done this before with a Few MX/SX teams I worked with.. I was able to get 10k for a 2 x 5 inch sticker on a rear fender along with product; plus Magazine picture bonus $$$ for riders that are good, not great; but National number good.

But for some reason I cant get Monster, Unbound, Bad Boy and a few other Energy drink company I have worked with in the past to see a offshore boat IS there ideal demographic and the return on there dollar would be far better than any 2 x 5 in sticker on a helmet.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to say it, but MX is a lot more accessible to the average person than offshore racing.. Any joe schmoe with a tax return can stop by their local yamahama dealer and be the next big deal.. its not as easy with offshore, i think thats the reason that you see so many more advertising dollars is because of the amount of amateurs in the sport wanting to get to the top and look just like the big guys.. think of the number of racer replicas bein sold today.. name ONE racer replica that you can buy from a powerboat company?

the entire industry is going to have to step up, not just the marketing gurus..
Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Racer
Racer

Better Days are coming my friend, for the last 5 months we have been promoting the Patchogue race and Offshore in general. We must look at the positive aspects that have happened in the last few years. Smitty has built the OPA into a major force in the Offshore arena, Haggin has brought us the Miss Geico Triple Crown Series among a huge list of other perks, Ed "the evil one" Smith and the Michigan crew has built St Claire into a monster event and are adding the Harrison Township race, the Maryland boys run 2 events that are awesome! Ocean City and Cambridge. The Jersey Boyz are working on kicking up Pt Pleasent back to the Legendary Offshore event it historically is, last but not least the Patchogue team are going to produce a race that will have the Offshore Gods Smiling from the Heavens!! We are out there pushing for sponsors and advertisers 24-7. T.V., Radio, every local mag and newspaper we can find. People tell you things are slow? How are they going to get busier if they don't advertise? It's the responsibility of everyone to promote our sport , the more people hear about it the more they want to get involved, that goes for sponsors too!
What the hell is wrong with Offshore Racing? Nothing, Louie

PS What the hell is a Yamahama? lol
Old 03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Racer
Racer

Oh and please forgive me but there are a lot of people who I did not mention who have been extremely instrumental in bringing us all to the place we are now, I salute you and thank you, Louie
Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Better Days are coming my friend, for the last 5 months we have been promoting the Patchogue race and Offshore in general. We must look at the positive aspects that have happened in the last few years. Smitty has built the OPA into a major force in the Offshore arena, Haggin has brought us the Miss Geico Triple Crown Series among a huge list of other perks, Ed "the evil one" Smith and the Michigan crew has built St Claire into a monster event and are adding the Harrison Township race, the Maryland boys run 2 events that are awesome! Ocean City and Cambridge. The Jersey Boyz are working on kicking up Pt Pleasent back to the Legendary Offshore event it historically is, last but not least the Patchogue team are going to produce a race that will have the Offshore Gods Smiling from the Heavens!! We are out there pushing for sponsors and advertisers 24-7. T.V., Radio, every local mag and newspaper we can find. People tell you things are slow? How are they going to get busier if they don't advertise? It's the responsibility of everyone to promote our sport , the more people hear about it the more they want to get involved, that goes for sponsors too!
What the hell is wrong with Offshore Racing? Nothing, Louie

PS What the hell is a Yamahama? lol

Louie I’m not saying offshore racing is broken in any way, I’m just wondering why the outside sponsorship dollar is so difficult to get.

Offshore may not have the big TV contract but it does draw its fair share of fans and even the curious onlooker, getting 5/10/15/20k from a Energy Drink Company, Vitamin Outlet, Health food store or even a fast food restaurant should be a no brainier but for some unknown reason they don’t see offshore a solid advertising investment.

I know there are a few boats out there with good deals, but with what this sport has to offer “most every boat” should have a few good deals!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer
Racer

Hey Rick, I agree with you 100%, I watch lawn mower racing on speed vision and the guys racing are loaded with sponsors,
hey more power to them. I think with the guys we have in our sport sponsors will be attainable. Thing is we have to give them there moneys worth and be proffesional and keep them.
Look at the premier team in Offshore right now. They make every event, Haggin, Scotty B., Marc and the Geico girls are out there signing autographs mixing it up with the fans. We are gearing up to do the same, we make parades, sign autographs and promote, promote, promote. We have some big name sponsors checking us out, hopefully it turns into something, we also have some smaller ones too, every little bits helps. Get your team cards ready, get some tee shirts and we can all make this sport the best it's ever been.
Louie
Old 03-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Rick it takes a lot of work....we are in a sport that dose not have a good record....I have talked to a number of marketing companys that have looked into Offshore racing and have come back with....its just not a good investment...

When we had Speedvision for TV and GMC as a series sponsor...it was a lot easier....When you have a big name as a Series sponsor it shows marketing companys that they are investing there own money for there company....and so you know, TV is a hudge part of it.....when you can approach a potention sponsor and tell them your being promoted thur a major TV company with a hudge demigraphics, it play in a big way....

Smitty and OPA are doing a great job....you have to remeber...we are on a long climb back up to were we where in 2001 - 2003 with exposure....

Right know the best thing you can do is promote your team with the companys around ouR sport....Like:

Gieco
Bud Select
Citron Energy Drink

You need to show potental sponsors who is out there now sponsoring and backing our sport.....

Even if you have to go and target local companys which towns we are racing in...go after them and show them the turn out from there own town from years past....it may be only a 1k here and 2k there....but these are furture associate sponsors you will have year in and year out as your team grows and lands bigger sponsors...and remeber.....these big companys see thousands of proposels each year for sponsorship....you have to have your proprosal down perfected...and if you get a change fOR someone to listen to you....you have to knock them off there feet about what you can do for them.....

But its like golf....you have to stay calm no matter how crappy the outcome....keep asking your self what can I do better and apply it.....if gettting sponsors were so easy....we all would have them.......

Don't give up....we are seeing good and big things with OPA....

Last edited by MANITIE; 03-14-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: What the Hell is wrong with Offshore racing ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.