Heads up for Point Race >

Heads up for Point Race

Notices

Heads up for Point Race

Old 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up for Point Race

Seems that the state police were starting to crack down on my hydroplane racing buddys. They had a race scheduled for Millville nj that had to be cancelled. I DO NOT KNOW if this type of scenerio would happen at the point race but this is NJ and Nj love to bust balls.

Alright, this is what happened.

At 2:30ish this afternoon I got a phone call from Sgt. Bird of the Bivalve Station of the New Jersey State Marine Police in South Jersey. He proceeded to ask me for a list of drivers that will be participating in the event(keep in mind we half to submit an application to these guys to get the permit for racing). I told him we register at the race site so I do not have one for him. He then said he was going to send an officer there on the morning of the 24th to make sure everyone has a Boating Safety Certificate. The law in NJ states that ANYONE who operates a boat in NJ on NJ waters must have a Boating Safety Certificate or a Certificate of equal safety qualifications that your state offers. It has nothing to do with your states requirements/laws/rules/etc... Every state offers a boating safety course according to Sgt. Bird. Here is where I started making my phone calls to the DVORA and race officials. Our conclusion, after about 4 hours of scrambling around and getting Steve Hearn to call and actually coming up with an idea of having a certified tester come down Sat. morning and administering the "test out" option we still found this to be too shaky and did not want to risk drivers not being able to compete. It was a tough decision but I believe we made the "Greatest Good" decision given our time retriction.

That should explain it. We are very sorry for this a will still be going ahead with our other races and be posting a link for options on getting your Baot Safety Certification to compete at DVORA NJ races.

Please feel free to ask questions here on hydroracer I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered

Ok APBA UPDATE

Correction on New Jersey boating requirements
The last EAlert regarding New Jersey boating safety requirements stated that anyone intending to race in NEW JERSEY must have taken the NEW JERSEY Boating Safety test. That is not correct. If you have a boating safety certificate from your own state, that will work for racing purposes in New Jersey.
On http://njsp.org/maritime/faq.html you can find more information. It states,
" Out-of-state residents are not exempt from the education requirement listed above; however, the law states that an out-of-State resident who is at least 16 years of age and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if they possess a boat safety certificate issued by their state of residence, or if they possess written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (N.A.S.B.L.A.) or the United States Coast Guard.
It may be useful to have a copy of the above with you at a New Jersey race, along with your certificate from your boating safety class.
Robin Shane checked out online reports that boat racers were exempt. Not so. She received confirmation from the New Jersey Marine Services Bureau:
Robin, If you are at least 16 years of age and you will be in this State for less than 90 days you may operate a power vessel on the waters of the State of New Jersey if you possess a boat safety certificate issued by your state of residence. There are no exemptions for racing events that exempt participants from the provisions of 12:7-61 "Operation of power vessels, personal watercraft; boat safety course requirements; violations."
(Racers are exempt from certain other laws regarding noise, etc.)
Check out www.uscgboating.org/safety/courses.htm for U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary-approved courses in your state.
For NASBLA-approved courses, visit www.nasbla.net/courseListing.php
In some states, you may be able to take a free online course. Visit www.boatus.org
Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Registered

And New Jersey Sucks What?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
And New Jersey Sucks What?
Dick
Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Dick
You said it Smitty

Hey you up for some boating this weekend?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Registered

Whos The Operator? Driver or Throttelman? LOL
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default damn

damn let me know if i have to take a safety course to be a spectator?????????
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Were in no matter what. Tell us what we have to do, and well do it
Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered

I pmed Smitty on this.
But to put it out there, if anbody needs the cert pm
Lukiepal hes an instructor and could put something toghether for the racers.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:07 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

As long as you carry a certificate from your home state you are fine.

Even if your state does not require it, you need to have a certificate for a boater safety course.

When this was being proposed my 1st question was how was this would be enforced being as NJ shares the Hudson River with NY , the Delaware River with PA and the Delaware Bay with DE. As far as I can remember, that was the answer. The operator would need one from their state if they were to boating on NJ waterways.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.