To Dyno or Not to Dyno. Thats the question >

To Dyno or Not to Dyno. Thats the question

Notices

To Dyno or Not to Dyno. Thats the question

Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Class 5 would be GPS so the total boats being Dynoed would be around 10 or so, the weight is done when being craned in and out, so there is no time lost there. The idea is based on the premise that we would be eliminating the need to fully tech a boat after the race so it should be less time consuming, again it would be spec classes also.
Only about half of our class even have the ability tip use lifting straps most of us use the ramp. How would you match up a twin small block 6500 lb boat against a4000 lb single engine step bottom boat? Seems to me the great equalizer in our class has been location and attrition any weekend any boat has a chance. There are just 2 many different hull engine and drive combinations in our class. I would hate to see us and some of the other older boats be retired due to some knee jerk reactions
Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
Only about half of our class even have the ability tip use lifting straps most of us use the ramp. How would you match up a twin small block 6500 lb boat against a4000 lb single engine step bottom boat? Seems to me the great equalizer in our class has been location and attrition any weekend any boat has a chance. There are just 2 many different hull engine and drive combinations in our class. I would hate to see us and some of the other older boats be retired due to some knee jerk reactions
The dyno as far as I know is for Spec classes not the bracketed classes as in 1,3,4,5 and 6 they would be GPS speed limited. Spec classes being Supercat 2-525, Super Vee 2-525, Super V limited 1- 525 and Cat Outboard 2 egg beaters as they are all craned in already and have to be inspected anyway. Besides your too young and good looking to retire! lol
Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Registered

. Besides your too young and good looking to retire! lol
You need glasses lol
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default ?

Check books always matter! lol We have been searching for parody since the beginning of offshore and still are. The good old days are never quite as good as we remember them because if they were so "good" things wouldn't change right? Also add in the factor that you can never please everyone, times that by outboards, stern drives and divide it by surface drives and you come up with a lot of different boats. That's where the current GPS excels, but there are still factors too deal with like flat water, bumpy water and down right angry water! Not to mention different hulls and handling characteristics, still the GPS is on top. Now take a spec class, here, all the boats are to be matched with the same or similar motors, drives, hulls and weight. That's where the prop shaft dyno excels, it will cut down inspection time and insure the spec boats are not getting away with a hidden hp advantage. The scales will keep everything else straight too. If a particular brand seems to have a tremendous advantage then weight can be added to keep the rest of the fleet competitive. This will not be so hard to do as the staff can run a boat that has lets say too many competitive wins or say laps the rest of the fleet and rectify the issue if there is one. At this point this is up for discussion by the classes and the fact that we are close to the holidays and New Years and Smitty is still looking for ways to improve what we have should be appreciated, I think this is cutting edge and I am in favor of GPS for some classes and the prop shaft dyno for others. Bringing us back to the check book.

Louie
Louie - Are you checking to see if we are paying attention? "We have been searching for parody since the beginning of offshore and still are." Parody - definition 'Spoof' Parity - definition 'Equality' LOL

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Louie - Are you checking to see if we are paying attention? "We have been searching for parody since the beginning of offshore and still are." Parody - definition 'Spoof' Parity - definition 'Equality' LOL
Touche' I'm not sure which one is correct lol nah it's parity, hey come on I spell pretty good for a kid that they graduated to get me out of the school!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

In a class like P5 we could have multiple Power to Weight ratios to keep things even.
1. Twin engines
2. Hulls with steps
3. Hulls with no steps

The point is, if a forumla can be found that allows for wide open side by side racing, then we've found the better mousetrap.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To whom it may concern,

Pwr to weight failed miserably in Europe, when Ron introduced it to OSS, how many competed? I guess not enough to keep it around....... Now we have Smitty and Ron bringing up the possibility of prop dynoing the brackets and Louie under the impression that it is for spec only. The OPA staff does talk to each other right?

The brackets in OPA have been out of control for approx 7 years now, now we have a miracle fix with a prop dyno? I mean hell, they dont make enough Bondo in the world to support the weight that PFE would need to be able to compete. SBRacing brings up there are 7 boats in Class 6. You bring this new miracle cure in, you'll end up having 2 boats left if your lucky.

Step 1) You introduced SVL rules at the beginning of last year, dust them off and enforce them(they cant follow them? realize you dont need them and wish them the best), make rules for SCL and enforce them as well

Step 2) Put the boats in the proper bracket classes they belong in, formula is simple: pitchXrpm'sX.01/drive ratio/12=top speed in perfect ideal conditions (dont allow sandbagging)

Step 3)Come to the realization that QUALITY is so much better than quantity

We have bigger issues than worrying about re-inventing the wheel, you know our "official website" hmmm Great first impression for a potential sponsor that might want to sponsor OPA With several teams searching for sponsorship; a confirmation of whether Amsoil will be picking up the option to have OPA televised for 2012 might be helpful.

I am the biggest spec class lover in the world, I spent hours on end discussing with Smitty and various of the former P1 Europe teams and power to weight is the biggest joke in the world, its proven that its failed twice, is OPA going to make a perfect 3 for 3? There is to much variance in hull technology in OPA for anything to work but the GPS system(as long as the boats are in the proper classes, NO SANDBAGGING ALLOWED) I pushed for pwr to weight and after experts explained it to me, it had more holes than swiss cheese.

phewww ok I feel better, getting the hell off these stupid boards again, if ya'll need me you know my number, when you come up with a set of rules, send me the memo and the enforcement procedures and I will be more than happy to accommodate, look forward to 2012!!!!

TC
Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some of you are getting all souped up over nothing gps classes are going to stay as they are.
This a trial thing to maybe open up no speed limit racing that is sort of cost effective.
What could happen and this just a thought is use some of the old A- class rules we used to use as most of the class 6 boats are close to A- boat guide lines anyway.
IE 24 to 30 feet
510 ci 9to1 com
single 4 barrel
bravo or speedie drive
Im getting old and CRS is kicking in so i cant remember what the weight was.
It also possible this could draw more race teams out that wont gps race but would do this .
Also you wont be dynoed at every race only at the first one you show up to then its up to the opa.
OK lets here some feedback on this? Trent im not felling the love overhere my feelings get hurt real easy.

Last edited by gary cook; 11-29-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add on for trent
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

regargless of the past searching the present for a better system allways makes sence. with all the collective brain power in O.P.A. a better mousetrap is bound to serface.Ed & Louie derserve credit for thinking out of the box.full throttle is a lot more fun, however running at 70 percent uses many fewer parts,I've been on both sides,this is alot more affordable. Grumpy G Crockett Rockett
Old 11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

count me in for A class, dont worry about the hull style...if we have 3 calm and 3 rough water races a year, the points will balance out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.