To Dyno or Not to Dyno. Thats the question >

To Dyno or Not to Dyno. Thats the question

Notices

To Dyno or Not to Dyno. Thats the question

Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know how some other teams feel about this because we have talked about it, but if we limit class 6 to a cubic inch that may limit the class size for awhile. I know of a team or two thats building bigger than 510 ci for next season. I myself can speek for Jim and I that if there is a limit we are out. We cant afford to build another engine for fun right now. Now missing 1 boat in class 6 may not be a big deal for OPA but I figured everyone else is chiming in so I would as well. I think almost every boat except for maybe 3 have larger than 510 and hp over 600 as it is now. Its already been proven last season that a lower hp engine and experienced team can win with more hp boats in the same class. We're up for anything to bring more boats and make the classes fun to race, if it means we're out because of changes, then we're out.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are we not responsible enough to admit top speed? I have a feeling that a good percentage of boats dont top out at just a few more MPH than their class limit. Now, you can't take a turn at WOT... So if there are 8-10 boats that can run 80ish and are 23-28' (I think there are), put them together and RACE. I hope you get what I'm trying to say... And for the website, it is a little sad looking... without latest points, teams, race schedule (when do we know about nex years?), etc...
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a lot of you guys are reading to much into this .
GPS CLASS 6 or 5 is not changing thats the last thing opa and smitty want is screw up one of the most popular classes.
This is somthing smitty and i have talked about a few times just somthing new to try and see if it could work.
Also not saying that 510 ci would be the limit but if you come out and kill the class then somthing would have to be done to bring your boat in line with the rest of the fleet.
Also keep in mind this is just a thread to talk if any of us racers are even interested in doing this it could also be tried at a race site after our normal gps race pull the low rpm gps chip put on a big wheel and go at it class class 5 and 6 would fit the bill for the most part.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gary cook
I think a lot of you guys are reading to much into this .
GPS CLASS 6 or 5 is not changing thats the last thing opa and smitty want is screw up one of the most popular classes.
This is somthing smitty and i have talked about a few times just somthing new to try and see if it could work.
Also not saying that 510 ci would be the limit but if you come out and kill the class then somthing would have to be done to bring your boat in line with the rest of the fleet.
Also keep in mind this is just a thread to talk if any of us racers are even interested in doing this it could also be tried at a race site after our normal gps race pull the low rpm gps chip put on a big wheel and go at it class class 5 and 6 would fit the bill for the most part.
WE GOT A WINNER HERE..........Guys we are just looking at some possibilities. But your input here is what we need. Nothing will change without the agreement of ALL the teams.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

So what is the next step? Vote? Leave it the same? Most class 6 boats seemed in favor of some type of Dyno/spec rules. Where do we go from here-conference call?
What ever we decide, can we have a concrete deadline so if we need to make changes we have time.

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 11-30-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Playing devil's advocate here but would this "A-class" be accepted by OPA's insurance??? F1 went away in large part as the speeds were getting out of hand for open boats and combine that with the tight turns in todays course I see a lot of wet racers in the future. That said I have always liked the idea of A and B class making a comeback but with what happened in KW just a few short weeks ago we need to keep safety in mind. A 510 limit and 26' and under would have boats running 90plus easy, probably more. Is the organization ok with that??? Again just playing devil's advocate for the moment...

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 11-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

And if it goes thru, why not start with a grudge race...midwest vs east coast...no gps just engine & boat specs Maybe run it on saturday to liven things up
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
And if it goes thru, why not start with a grudge race...midwest vs east coast...no gps just engine & boat specs Maybe run it on saturday to liven things up
Kinda like PINKS!!!!! Run what ya got balls out and then we'll place you in a bracket. Then the bracket races for a jackpot.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Kinda like PINKS!!!!! Run what ya got balls out and then we'll place you in a bracket. Then the bracket races for a jackpot.
Run what you brung Saturday and create brackets from there? Sounds interesting!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is proposed is leave your boat just the the way you are going to set it up for 2012 at one of the races we will get dynoed and weighed then basicly pull you gps set out put a speed wheel on no speed limit lets go race see how it plays out tweek from there get all teams that are involved opoions see if its somthing to go forward with .
With this being said ill be the first to unzipp my fly first can i run low 90 mph yes but i wont race that way 80 85 is were the boat is happy and we feel good and i know tyler and george are about the same .
As for power in my boat i have 2 one is 500 ci the other is 510 both are 9to1 com 600 hp and 700 hp .
I can think of about 3 or 4 other teams that can run neer those speeds and thats class 6 boats.
just with gps racing you dont see the speeds they are capable of.
There are a couple of teams that dont have enough speed now and im only talking about class 6 now throw class 5 into the mix you have a lot of boats that can do it.
And again keep in mind this a extra race not to take away from normal gps class racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.