Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let the voting begin!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Sorry to let this get so far out of control.
Class 5 is a V bottom class 30ft and under. Panther, Whoz Your daddy, and Specialized granfathered in.
These rules were decided upon by the teams in the class, and enforced by the OPA.
The class has the option of a vote to allow another boat into the class, that does not fit the current rules.
While we do not want to turn any boat away, we do want to keep the stucture of racing in place.
Can that particular cat out run the V's? No. But you open the door to others, who maybe can. We
have seen this in the past. But, just because you vote one in, keep in mind this does not make it automatic for another. The class would still have to vote. In this instance you have a Cat that cannot compete in class 4, so what does he do? Walk away? My suggestion here would be, have the registered teams in Ocean City look at this boat, and we'll sit and discuss what to do. I know a vote was taken by the class Via Email, unfortunately that does not hold water. A vote must be witnessed by an OPA Offical.
Can a conference call which includes an OPA Official be valid as the "witnessing"? My point being that yes in this particular scenario, the boat in question is a local boat that based off history will only run the local races. In most situations such as OB 2010, a boat was informed that he could run in Class 5 and he showed up and was voted out with the "unwritten rules" in place. That was a lot of expense that the team made under false pretenses. That isnt fair to the class or to that team. Also with this particular boat in question when it raced in OPA prior, out of 5 boats it placed 3rd, beating the 2010 and 2011 National class champs in the process. On paper the boat looks pretty competitive to me. When can we expect to see all of the "unwritten rules" actually in the rulebook?

Kudos to Johnny for going about this is the right way, it might not have been perfect, but it took a lot of un-needed work off of the OPA staff and it certainly didnt come up with the comic book of rules that the other class forced down OPA's throat for like the 3rd or 4th time. Maybe they'll actually show up this year and race, instead of waiting till the worlds and handing out ultimatums....again
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Trent, the boat in Question from O.B. was Daredevil, whom I had told months prior to the event that he could not run class 5. Made him the same offer, if the class voted he could run Class 5 than that was fine. If not be preparred to run class 4. Class 4 it was. This past year they allowed him to run the class.
And no, a phone call does not change anything. I will deal with it at the site.
As far as the other class you refer to is SVL a have six of them pre registered in. In fact they are the only boats registered in at this time.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That makes sense! Thanks Mr. Smith. When the time comes, if the time comes I know who to ask and what to do.

OPA gets it!

Good luck and be safe this weekend gang!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the clarification Smitty. Glad to see the SVL's get their acts together and hopefully they'll do what they say they'll do. Its a great class and really fun to watch. Hopefully the self destruction of the past 2 years is over and they can put on a show. Also thanks for clearing up the DD scenario, he lied but thats expected
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Great post Smitty, see ya this weekend..and next weekend
Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Registered

I will respect the "unwritten rules" and not run our boat in OC. And will not run in C4 due to being out powered there also. So I guess I will be watching and cheering on the others..................
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by smcser
I will respect the "unwritten rules" and not run our boat in OC. And will not run in C4 due to being out powered there also. So I guess I will be watching and cheering on the others..................
I think you are reading the wrong "unwritten" rule book...for me that usually reads unless you're completely sandbagging its a run what ya brung mentality!

Come on class 5 play nice...let the ***** cat run at least one race with ya'll and see how it goes.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
I think you are reading the wrong "unwritten" rule book...for me that usually reads unless you're completely sandbagging its a run what ya brung mentality!

Come on class 5 play nice...let the ***** cat run at least one race with ya'll and see how it goes.
Are you racing this year? Bring the Phantom out