Notices

Turn One Rules

Old 08-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Typhoon will be there for sure !!!!!! Love that site and the people there that do such a great job to make it happen. This is my favorite time of the year so when you can race in this kind of weather its a no brainner for me. SVL-29 in the house.
MD
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Johnny I think you are on to something!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
Johnny I think you are on to something!!!!!!
Wait till I tell you about my new invention.....JOHNNY TABS!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whatever.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

Got a few questions since I am still new to this. Wondering what you think?
1) Can the pace boat bring us up to 60+ mph before the start?
All three Michigan races we fell behind at the start. When you start the race at 40-45 mph, we just don't have the horsepower to keep up with the pack going into turn one. If you come out of turn #4 at 50 mph, then get us up to 60 mph and throw the green flag, I think the low horsepower boats like mine can be more competitive going into turn one. (Approx. 10 mph below max. speed)
2) Can we have more left and right turns?
I don't have the horsepower or the money to put into a bigger motor, but I do have a boat that turns very well. I think I can be a little more competitive around turns, whereas some of the big horsepower guy's are more competitive along the straights. Just wondering if having more left and right turns would level the playing field, without bringing an extra expense to the teams?
3) Two races instead of one? Saturday and Sunday race? Points determine winner.
In Ocean City we broke down in the first lap because of a loose wire on the ignition. Alot of time and money was spent for just 60 seconds of racing. Could of had the wire fixed and raced again. PFE disquilifed in Port Huron. Could of raced in round two and did better. Also, revese the order for race two to make it fair for everybody.
For spectators and fans that can't make a Sunday race, they will have a Saturday race to attend.
Also, as a former spectator it's exciting to see a large group of boats "neck to neck" fighting for position around each and every turn with a really close finish, rather then seeing them finish one at a time similar to seeing runners finish a marathon.
Eric & I are still new to racing and having a great time, but wondering what you think? Thanks,
Jeff Jacobs - Country Service Auto Transport - Boat #623
Serving Long Island Since 1992
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeff, I'll take a stab, but please keep in mind, I am NOTspeaking for Smitty and/or OPA, just stating my opinion.

1)The boats with the big power want the pace speed to be less, the boats with the smaller power want it closer to the breakout speed. What speed is the middle ground in order to make everyone happy? I dont know, but as I stated earlier pace boat consistency is lacking and needs to be worked on for the future

2)As exciting as more turns would be, with the rash of accidents in offshore overall, recently, it probably would make sense to leave things alone for the time being. More turns means more of a chance of accidents and would raise the insurance to prices that it would increase the expense to the teams(trickle down economics lol) As Smitty did point out in his responses, safety is paramount.

3)Simply put, MONEY..... We all can only imagine what the expense costs to put on a race, now double it. The permit would need to be expanded to Friday for testing and a race permit then added for Sat, Choppers, crane for friday, etc I am sure it can be done as it has been done in the past with LLC. Then you add the expense to the teams of having to come in Thurs evening(extra night hotel, extra day away from work, etc) It is hard enough for the towns to raise the monies with a Sunday race scenario, I think we would lose sites if the price tag was doubled and we cant afford to lose any more sites.

I am by no means trying to shoot your ideas down as they have a ton of merit. Once again, my responses are strictly my opinion and NOT those of Smitty and/or OPA. Fact is #2 & #3 were done in the past, however, that association is no longer in business. Are these the reason why, no, but it is tough to take anything from something that as a whole failed. Myself personally am always trying to come up with ways to make it better, but Smitty has taken OPA from a 15 boat association to the 30+
boat counts we have today and to boot w/o entry fees and a payout. OPA used to be a $500 entry fee each race with only 2 races having a payout. He knows first hand, it can be way better, but as any racer knows with dialing in a race boat, all it takes is time and money, boat racing organizations are no different.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,
Here's my take.
1. Trent is right. The teams with lower HP like yours and ours would like to see a 60 mph start to erase the acceleration advantage the big HP boats.

2. Solomons will have a dogleg in the back straight to add a mild right turn. You will find however,(in my opinion) that more turns won't make much difference. The big HP boats have better acceleration that will overshadow any turning capability of a boat.

3. In addition to the reasons Trent brought up, you now need volunteers for two days to cover turn boats, safety, fire, police, EMS etc.....

Being in the same situation as you in regard to HP, the only practical solution is to build a bigger motor. Most of the boats are already at or over 600 HP, it wouldn't be easy to get everyone to power down. I do feel that 600 should be the limit in class 6, but that opens up the enforcement bag of worms.
My advice? Continue to race what you have, the more seat time, the better you get. In the meantime, start saving for more horsepower, even if it takes a year or two, it is the only way to get the acceleration needed to get
out of the turns.
See you in MD!

Rich
Joker Powerboats/CRC 611
Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Registered

This issue has been around as long as dirt. I think classes 5 & 6, a/w/a opa are doing more to keep the sport alive than any other class and/or org for that matter. Stagger 100 yard deuce formation for starts (gps,radio), would yield more and safer side by side action. Plus you would only need to count on one other person to make the turn. Take care.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lighthouse
This issue has been around as long as dirt. I think classes 5 & 6, a/w/a opa are doing more to keep the sport alive than any other class and/or org for that matter. Stagger 100 yard deuce formation for starts (gps,radio), would yield more and safer side by side action. Plus you would only need to count on one other person to make the turn. Take care.
????
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Registered

Jim & Trent,
Thanks for the response.
Still learning and having fun doing it.
I guess I should get back in my truck and haul alot more cars.
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.