Notices

Lap Sheets

Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFastSonic
The average lap speed as stated its based on course length so if you enter the length as 4.0 miles but the actual length is 3.5 the calculations don't work. Our currant breakout system however not perfect isn't based on lap times or distance its based on GPS speed over ground. So pretty much the lap times are just for us to look at not be scored on, just my 2 cents.

I wish there Was a way we could race using the same GPS we are scored on. Like the sbi system that you can watch and there isn't any questions as far as how much the OPA GPS and the actually GPS the driver is using?
Reason we dont use that system is simple. You can see if you have broken out. If you see a break out what is to keep you from just dusting the class for a cheap flag. Our system keeps you racing clean, because you have no idea what the outcome will be.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lil red
I'd like to know how some boats don't break out yet are half a lap ahead? Not trying to start sh!t just not sure I understand the break out rules.
It's how fast you can get through the turns
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil red
I'd like to know how some boats don't break out yet are half a lap ahead? Not trying to start sh!t just not sure I understand the break out rules.
Actually this is very simple, not all boats are running at the .9 mark 1/10 below the breakout speed at all times. It boils down to the consistency of the team meaning, what line did they take through a turn? How much speed do you scrub off in a turn vs what the other boat scrubs off through the turn?

First and foremost, as proven by the many posts on this thread, the avg speeds reported on the sheets are wrong. Honestly, I am surprised that it is still on the website as far off as they are.

In boat racing, no matter the org or anything, avg lap speeds are not an exact science and never will be. The only way possible is to have a fixed transponder at a point on the course, with transponders on each boat. ie start/finish boats and/or patrol boats are not fixed points as you still have drift, waves etc no matter how good they are anchored off.

Someone above mentioned "make up some rules". Thats great however, remember this concept about making rules. Rules means enforcement and enforcement means money. It takes money for more personnel as well as more money for the enforcement tools needed to enforce these new rules. Are we willing to pay more in equipment fees each year?, entry fees at each race? I mean the money has to come from somewhere. On the other token, I am not saying we dont need more rules, but we must keep in mind the money factor. I just think it would be nice to have the "unwritten rules" that have been already created installed into the written rulebook and obviously enforced. In 2008 Class 5 voted to be 30' ft and under with Bravo based drives only(no exceptions), I have yet to see it in the official rulebook. That should be step 1 before making new rules.

Once again I do not speak for Smitty or any official on the OPA staff, the above is my opinion and strictly my opinion only, carry on!!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

A v

Last edited by GoFastSonic; 09-24-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: repost
Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Listen, we calculated out the lap times, because many have been asking.
The laps were calculated out based on a 4.6 mile coarse. Obviously, the distance is slightly off.
The intent was to give you an idea how consistant you are, or are not thats all.
Sounds fair
Old 09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wazzup Racing
Reason we dont use that system is simple. You can see if you have broken out. If you see a break out what is to keep you from just dusting the class for a cheap flag. Our system keeps you racing clean, because you have no idea what the outcome will be.
Is this referred to as the "Trent Rule" from 07? lololololol jus playin boss