Twin staggered 28??? >

Twin staggered 28???

Notices

Twin staggered 28???

Old 08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elite Marine
Big power in a single causes issues, you need to run a larger pitch prop which in turn rolls the boat. The you need tab to counter, scrubbing speed.

The only big engine singe that did it was a race lay up light 28. Nothing wrong with the hull, but the big pitch acts like a paddle.

Trust me, been there, done that!!

Twin built small blocks would be a better idea.
What do you think of these in a 28sr?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/400_scorpion.htm
Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Your dreaming, you'll get smoked. That single engine will be a dog out of the hole. You'll need the twins to beat them out of the hole and stay on top. There are no free lunches in this sport. That big engine motor will cost just as much, maybe more, then two mild big blocks. Then you have drive issues to worry about. Assuming you get it all to run reliably you'll still have massive torque steer, which will take the pleasure and relaxation out of driving the boat. Trust me, read the threads of all the people that tried to put big power into their 28 single Pantera. Most all ended up with nothing but problems and the only good speed numbers came out of the race setup panteras.
I have own (in my world) a big power 28 w/o any of what you talking about. put your a** in a "modern" boat and you will see for you self. The 28SR with the t/s bottom will work just fine with a single big HP engine. I would love to see it with 662hp/or 700hp NXT-drive.

I was using my 28 Arrow with a stock XR-drive and run more than 2000 nautic miles w/o any kind of failures. 875 blower engine. But I use foot throttle and a big drive shower, own design Oil changes every 10-15 hours.

BUT, I love the 28 Apache race that the guy Eric had

Mange
Attached Thumbnails Twin staggered 28???-m71-5.jpg   Twin staggered 28???-maximus.jpg  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big hp

Elite marine didnt you have a 28 pantera for sale a few years ago without power? What ever happened with that boat? Now back to single engine pantera. I plan on running SSM6 not any week bravo style unit And possibly a 2speed transmission. I know what you mean by torque steer but with a ssm6 you think the boat is still going to roll? I rode in the single engine pantera with 800hp blower motor with ssm3 at 86mph and didnt notice and roll.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
I built one back in early 80's. Today you could build one w/ Bravos and small block Raylars, it would be an awesome boat.
It would fit in P class racing.
Later,
pp
Jo, i know in the other thread you said you never built one, but this is what made me think you did.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

I started wondering about whether or not its possible to have a full stagger setup in the new TS hull a while ago?

Seems to be an awesome idea for a twin setup in a smaller boat.. who cares if you loose the back seat, I don't like that many people riding with me anyways... that's my dream boat.. 30ft or less, built like a brick chit house, staggard twins, and 90+. Sounds perfect!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

If prop is the problem why not run 1.36 ratio? Ran that in my phantom and it got on plane fine. Just the wrong combo with just a 700hp na motor. If i was building more power it would have stayed.

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 08-12-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Jo, i know in the other thread you said you never built one, but this is what made me think you did.
Maybe my Father built one in the early days.

JO
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can be done. The rear bulkhead would need to re-glassed forward but we do this type of modification when we do outboards on the 28' model and go with the extended cockpit option.There still would a good size cockpit area in the 28' model.

It would be an awesome set up.

JO

Originally Posted by ndaniels
I started wondering about whether or not its possible to have a full stagger setup in the new TS hull a while ago?

Seems to be an awesome idea for a twin setup in a smaller boat.. who cares if you loose the back seat, I don't like that many people riding with me anyways... that's my dream boat.. 30ft or less, built like a brick chit house, staggard twins, and 90+. Sounds perfect!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

JO
Understatement of the day!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It can be done. The rear bulkhead would need to re-glassed forward but we do this type of modification when we do outboards on the 28' model and go with the extended cockpit option.There still would a good size cockpit area in the 28' model.

JO
Jo..so....could a 3 man 24' be made with twin staggered small block's? Hmmmmmmm

P.S. - Sorry I couldn't go by today but will be by Monday or Tuesday.
Thanks
Angel

Quick Reply: Twin staggered 28???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.