Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts >

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Notices

Red Roar 1978 24SE restoration starts

Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's where my HIN is located. I taped it off to preserve it during the paint and body phase of the resto.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks guys I will go look in both those places but I am guessing not as I would have seen it I am sure. so if not there, how do I know what the number is if I wanted to make a plate for it.

does everyone have a WC or not ? any issues if I removed it ?
russ
Old 12-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Given the year of the boat it was probably built on NE 188th so the Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) on the HIN should start with WCW. The later Pantera's may have either PPG or PPA. I'd email Pepe or Jo at Pantera. I'd bet they'd give you a lot of info on that boat and the correct HIN but then again if the HIN has been previously removed maybe it's better you don't know where it came from LOL.

Last edited by Ing; 12-30-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Registered

I will have a go at that thanks and see what they say.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM
Registered

hi, back again for more advice maybe from an electronics ish person.
ok so with the re modelling of the entire control system i am also replacing the GPS NAV system and am looking at the garmin 557XS or 751XS. these have nema connectivity so all i need is transducer and i gather (not sure with a pantera) but i need to have a "through the hull" unit.
i have put a couple of pictures of the system that is currently installed. the transducer doesnt seem to have any markings on it by name apart from US PAT 5186050.
it has a little wizzy wheel on the bottom and screws into the tube you can see that is 2" wide and 3 1/2" tall. the cable on the transducer says "Airmar transducer cable" but i presume that relates to the cable and nothing else.
what i am desperately trying to avoid is having to start drilling more holes in the boat to fit a different transducer. anyone out there got any bright ideas ? anyone know of another brand that might have a transducer to fit that threaded pipe perhaps ?
i am not sure even what NEMA is or would do for me.
russell

Old 01-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would dispose of that set-up and go to a shoot thru style transducer for depth. Your Garmin will give you speed.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Registered

ah OK thanks for some reason i thought you couldn't do that but i have re read it and it says you cant use it for "cored" fibre glass. i have not got a clue if my Pantera is that or not. first time around i just read it as fibre glass so my mistake.

i have an external speed monitor and clock so am happy with that, it was more depth really.
so is that method standard now on new boats but more importantly has anyone else changed an "old" boat design to that method and it works fine ?
if so issued solved i think
Old 01-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

JO and Pepe have always used solid glass in the bottoms of their Pantera's. If the hull was cored all you have to do is cut the top (inner) lay of glass and remove the coring material. The you bed the transducer into the bottom with resin making sure there is no voids.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered

many thanks, what a great place this is turning out to be. and there was me thinking we would be on our own doing this.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Registered

hi, I can make it up of course but is there such a thing as a circuit diagram for these old 70's boats so i can see how it was wired to start with ?
where might i go look for that
russ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.