Fueling issue >

Fueling issue

Notices

Fueling issue

Old 06-22-2021, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fueling issue

I went to fuel up for the first time and had to hold the nozzle at about .25 trigger anymore and gas came out of the vent. Tank was empty. Any ideas or just gotta deal with it?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

I'd take a look and see how the vent line is routed....it should be a separate line from the tank...maybe yours could be hooked to the main feed line???,,,not sure but it shouldn't be doing that until full (spitting out the vent)
Actually i have seen some fittings that do have the vent built into one assembly...maybe its just a matter of turning the fitting so the vent is at the top to keep the fuel from filling up the vent line...
On my old scarab i did have to find the sweet spot when filling it up....if the nozzle was just jammed in then the splash back would cut it off constantly when trying to fill at full speed. In my case if i wanted full speed fueling it had to be half out and slightly held up....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-22-2021, 08:13 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Yup. Vent has a restriction...Could fuel or something else in it, usually caused by a low spot in vent line. Or a kink. Too many boats rigged with a vent line routed improperly.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Could also be something simple like a dirt dobber nest in the vent line.
The following 4 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
bajaman (06-22-2021), liberator221 (06-22-2021), Padraig (06-22-2021), SB (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I"ve had a 28 Pantera and now have the 36 and they both had that same issue when you fill them up while on the trailer. When they're in the water I haven't had a problem with fueling. I guess you get used to it.
M39976 (01-12-2022)
Old 06-22-2021, 04:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

No, you can't just 'deal with it'...you don't want to have to take half a day to fuel your boat, NOR can you be discharging any fuel into the water...big fines in most states, for even the smallest spill...so you have to get this fixed before trying to fuel on the water.
If you can, pull whatever access you have to the fuel tank and look at both the fill hose and the vent hose. As others have said, you have something seriously wrong there, as the two hoses are separate (normally). Typically the only way fuel can even GET into the vent hose is when the tank is full.
Are you SURE the tank is empty?
Old 06-22-2021, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
No, you can't just 'deal with it'...you don't want to have to take half a day to fuel your boat, NOR can you be discharging any fuel into the water...big fines in most states, for even the smallest spill...so you have to get this fixed before trying to fuel on the water.
If you can, pull whatever access you have to the fuel tank and look at both the fill hose and the vent hose. As others have said, you have something seriously wrong there, as the two hoses are separate (normally). Typically the only way fuel can even GET into the vent hose is when the tank is full.
Are you SURE the tank is empty?
yeah I'm sure I siphoned 75 gallons out of it because it was 2 years old. I'll have to try to get to the tank and see if the vent makes it all the way to it

Last edited by riverrunner242; 06-22-2021 at 05:52 PM.
bajaman (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Hopefully you have fairly easy access...good luck!
Old 06-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 403 Likes on 239 Posts

Check for spiders or muddobbers. Take a small pick and clean out the screen (s)
Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by riverrunner242
yeah I'm sure I siphoned 75 gallons out of it because it was 2 years old. I'll have to try to get to the tank and see if the vent makes it all the way to it
There is no easy way to do that. The fill and vent hoses attach to the tank under the floor in the area in front of the passenger side bolster. There is a cut out hole there with and the cut is made at a 45* angle and the floor piece is then siliconed back in place. I know the fuel fill tube is behind the carpet in the boxed in corner of the closet cabinet. I think the vent tube needs to be accessed from behind the passenger dash panels but not 100% on that. I know all this because I thought I had fuel leak due vapors in the cabin and pulled everything apart. Turned out that the clamps for the fill hose had come loose.

Everybody keeps saying his vent tube might plugged?? How can that be if he is getting fuel out of it then??

My guess is the fuel vent hose loop is not high enough anymore. The loop needs to be higher than the fuel fill to work properly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.