Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia >

Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia

Notices

Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia

Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone give me some in sight on the poker run? My self and some friends are contemplating on doing the run. We do about 3-4 poker runs a year and are looking for a change in scenery. It would be a 9 Hr tow from NY, Any additional info on the run would help us make up our dissension, Like how many stops and where? Is there a lunch stop? Is there an after party and where? How long is the run? How many miles? How is the run conducted? Are there speed limits on the lake? Are there boats speed bracketed?

Can anyone post photos of past runs????
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered

Hot Boat - send me a PM and I would be happy to give you a call. I have done this run 4 yrs in a row and can tell you all you want to know.

In a nutshell...this is a nice run at a nice lake up in the mountains during a nice time of year. The lake is small and can be crowded however, it is well setup commercially (lodging, bars, restaurants). The lake itself has no speed limit however, there are a few places (known as the 'S' turns) where you need to slow her down.

About the run...there is a Fri night party and an afterparty - both associated with the run and they draw a nice crowd. The run kicks off at 11 and you are due back by 4. At both the start and finish, there is a nice dock with about 75 good sized slips that are dedicated to those in the run which makes for a nice sight. There is technically no lunchstop during the run however, most people grab cards early and then chillout at one of the stops and grab a bite. There are 7 stops on this run where you actually tie up and go to a table to draw your card. I like this concept however, many (including myself) find tying up at each location a hassle and rough on the boat. Also, the stops are in no order which is another thing most don't like. Once you leave, it is a free-for-all to the 7 stops and we all meet back at the end. It is ok if you are running with a small pack however, most of the time, it is hard to remember you are in a PR.

The people who organize the run do a very good job. For some reason, the past few runs have not drawn the full 75 boats, nor the 'big boy' boats as it has in the past. I understand that this year, they are looking to make some requested changes (inline with those concerns mentioned above I hope) and get the crowds that they had back in 03 and 04.

In fact, there are quite a few guys on this forum that live up at the lake (38 Cig, 37 Active Thunder, 38 Hustler) and a core group of us local guys (43 Black Thunder, 37 Active Thunder, 38 Formula) that WILL participate this year so it should be fun.

It really depends on what you like. Nice weekend on a beautiful area where you can relax, have a cold drink and enjoy a great crowd, then this is well worth the trip. If you want to run hammer down, fly the boat and party your a** off, save the 9 hour trip for the Richmond Poker Run in July - nothing better North of Florida IMO. If it were me, I would do both (and I will) because it's just $$ and you can't take it with you . Some pics...

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia-112-1287_img.jpg   Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia-img_0015.jpg   Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia-img_1477.jpg  

Last edited by Ca$hed Out; 03-06-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

The fri nite dinner starts at 5pm with food and entertainment at Mango's bar and grill, Sat morning starts with captains meeting at 10am, card draw/dinner/entertainment is at 4pm on the pionte at Bridgewater.
visit the chamber of commerce website for accomodations www.visitsmithmountainlake.com
as well as www.smlba.com for a weekend agenda that will be posted soon.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
Can someone give me some in sight on the poker run? My self and some friends are contemplating on doing the run. We do about 3-4 poker runs a year and are looking for a change in scenery. It would be a 9 Hr tow from NY, Any additional info on the run would help us make up our dissension, Like how many stops and where? Is there a lunch stop? Is there an after party and where? How long is the run? How many miles? How is the run conducted? Are there speed limits on the lake? Are there boats speed bracketed?

Can anyone post photos of past runs????
the after party starts on the docks as you return with a band, the run is roughly 65 miles give or take, we are working on the setup as far as how people will be leaving or running together, in the past you could go in any order you want, with alot of people sticking together and hitting the stops in groups, no speed limits but like Shawn posted there are areas of caution that we ask you to go slow thru,
the lunch stop we usually all meet at one of the stops which we will let everyone know before hand.

thank's ,Will
www.smlpba.com
Old 03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

i almost forgot, the fri pre run/ pre fri nite dinner party/ fri arrival party/raft-up starts at noon fri sponsored by the SMLPBA, with burgers and hotdogs as well as other activities
so all in all 3 parties 3 dinners/lunch as well as 2 bands, then throw in the girls from the SMLPBA providing dancing lessons and other entertainment you can't go wrong! :
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

ttt
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will & Lori ........was up with the boat search????????? Any thing in the works???
Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

I think it's about time he took the 'maybe' out of his signature
Old 03-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by excursion
Will & Lori ........was up with the boat search????????? Any thing in the works???
looking at a few 46 black thunders :

just kiddin, i wouldn't do that to ya!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mwdill
i almost forgot, the fri pre run/ pre fri nite dinner party/ fri arrival party/raft-up starts at noon fri sponsored by the SMLPBA, with burgers and hotdogs as well as other activities
so all in all 3 parties 3 dinners/lunch as well as 2 bands, then throw in the girls from the SMLPBA providing dancing lessons and other entertainment you can't go wrong! :
Will, Shoot Andre an email with these details.... (ie: Time, location, etc) so he han update the website with this pre-party info. Don't want to step on the BA's toes this year. Just have to be careful using Benards without notifying them.
Attached Thumbnails Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia-100_3093rev.jpg   Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia-100_3007-large-.jpg   Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia-101_0542rev-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Blue by You; 03-16-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Smith Mountain Lake PR May 17th, SouthWest Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.