PQ 95 340 - Battery Switch Question >

PQ 95 340 - Battery Switch Question

Notices

PQ 95 340 - Battery Switch Question

Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PQ 95 340 - Battery Switch Question

Hi, I have a 95 340 PQ with twin batteries and 2 battery switches wired from the factory.

They had told me when I bought the boat to keep both switches on ALL.

Does anyone know how PQ wired these?

Is one side for accessories and the other cranking?

Does switching the 1 and 2 position mean the respective motors switch what battery its charging?

After watching a TV show on this I am confused (as usually).

Pls help!!!

Jeff
Old 05-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: PQ 95 340 - Battery Switch Question

Jeff
What I do is shut one swith off and that one goes to just one batt, and leave the other switch on all and that runs my acceries off of two batts while sitting. That way I have a way to start it. The other option is to buy a jumper box, I have one but only use it for others I've been lucky so far
If you are going to put a charger on it put both switches on all and it will charge both, plus when you are running have them both on and it will keep you charged up as well. Good luck hopefully I was able to help.

Rich.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered

Jeff,

I had the same question. The person I bought the boat from said to leave the switches in the "All" position. After reading numerous posts and talking to several people, I was confused as well. So I sent the PQ factory an email. I received a phone call back within the hour!!!! Talk about customer service!

Anyway, Brandon Hudson, from the factory, said to leave the starboard switch in 1 and the port switch in 2. I had prefaced my question with "how do I make sure I do not run down the batteries while listening to the stereo while anchored. He told me the 1 and 2 positions will isolate the batteries. In the "All" position, they are wired in parallel.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, based on PQs response I take this to mean:

Starboard in pos 1/port in 2 means that accesories (I think starboard) and starting (I think port) are isolated so if one is worn down you can then switch both to ALL and have power?

OR in the case of losing a battery do you switch starboard to 2 and port to 1????

Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered

Jeff,

I understood it to mean that after running a battery down, you could switch to "ALL" and then start the engines. You would still have 1 charged battery that had been isolated from the accesories. I need to find out about moving the switches after the motors are running and providing power to the batteries.

I think my accesories are on the Port side battery.....I think.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We received this memo from PQ shortly after receiving our boats and asking the same questions as you guys. I have sent this letter to several people already. Rather than go that route again, I have decided to just post it here:

January 28, 2002

To: Bill Rippel, Dave Goodman and Macklin Smith
Re: 340/380 Battery Switch Wiring

Gentleman,
Attached is a wiring diagram from Perko, the manufacturer of our battery switches showing the basic wiring scheme of our battery switches. I have also included a copy of the memo from Mercury containing their recommendations for the battery switches on twin e.f.i. engine installations. As this memo states the engines should always be run off of separate batteries. Whether you choose to run your starboard engine off your port battery or your starboard battery is up to you, as long as the other engine is run off of the opposite battery. In other words, the port battery switch should not be left in the same position as the starboard battery switch and neither switch should be left in the “all” position while the engine is running.

As for the other wires routed to the battery switches, here are some answers:

Starboard switch, #1 terminal: Attached here should be a 2 gauge red jumper to the #1 terminal on the port switch. If space permits, the amp feed and the bilge pump feed are connected here so they will have constant power.

Starboard switch, #2 terminal: Attached here should be a 2 gauge jumper to the #2 terminal on the port switch. The starboard battery cable also connects here.
Starboard switch, common (center) terminal: The starboard starter cable attaches here.

Port Switch, #1 terminal: Attached here will be a 2 gauge red jumper to the #1 terminal on the starboard battery switch. The port battery cable also connects here. In addition, we will typically connect a feed from the battery charger to this terminal and one of the mercathode feeds.

Port Switch, #2 terminal: Attached here will be a 2 gauge jumper from the #2 terminal on the starboard switch. Also, we will attach one of the battery charger feeds here and the remaining mercathode wire.
Port Switch, common terminal: The port starter cable attaches here.

Misc.: The feeds to the breaker panel for the helm and cabin mains and drive and tab mains are connected to the common terminals of either switch depending on the space available. By turning one battery switch off and leaving the other on should allow you to determine which is which.