Notices

34' Powerquest performance

Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 34' Powerquest performance

MACK
Absolutely agree.Don't want to push the drives.
I give it about 3000 to 3200 RPM to start and as she comes up I lift the tabs and then push the throttles to where I want to be. Real smooth. The one difference with the 38 is I only need to bring it up to 2500 RPM and don't really need any tab, however it comes up quicker with the tabs at about 4 to 5.
They are both great boats.
Attached Thumbnails 34' Powerquest performance-pad-boat-sale-4.jpg  
Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Registered

Maybe I just expected to much from the boat, I don't know, I came out of a 24' DCB Extreme with a 500hp that knew no bounds as far as acceleration went(I owned the magazine cover boat in Jan 97 in Hot Boat)I pedalled that after about a year due to the fact it had absolutely no freeboard, the wife at the time took one look at it when they delivered it from Ca. and said its beautiful,,,,,,but I thought it would be bigger. and before that an 89 Formula 272sr1 with 420s in it.....Factory/reps had said that they were tweeking some things on the hull & x diminsion(obviously the made it better),,mine with tabs down was ok,,just without tabs if you brought it up to 3 grand/3200 it didn't want to break over.Plenty of bow rise, just no stern lift, that why we tried reversing prop rotation.If you tried to hammer it coming out, all it did was blow out the props.(and chanced breaking something)
Lack of dealer support in Fl was always an issue also with P/Q. and Formula too for that matter, which I never understood,,,both make real nice boats.

Last edited by Slick02; 12-06-2005 at 07:40 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Registered

I wonder if 5 blades would've helped you Slick02 - sounds like your X was a little high, another blade on each side might have given you some extra bite.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Wink Re: 34' Powerquest performance

Originally Posted by dockrocker
I wonder if 5 blades would've helped you Slick02 - sounds like your X was a little high, another blade on each side might have given you some extra bite.
A distinct possibility Dr, but at the time I owned the boat I didn't understand quite as much about props as( I think) I do today,, all I knew was that I figured it had to be close due to the fact that it pulled fine in the midrange/topend and late 99/early 00 there wasn't a whole lot of selection without going to custom props(expensive).. As far as the x-diminsion, after talking to the dealer/factory rep (Mark Boniface)for the area and the factory itself they had said that they were working on the x due to the new step design..And the rep pretty well had me convinced at the time that I was expecting alot out of a 10,000 lb boat with all the crap the ole lady figured we needed to carry...Especially after coming out of the DCB(what a water rocket at the time)..as long as the water was smooth.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02
A distinct possibility Dr, but at the time I owned the boat I didn't understand quite as much about props as( I think) I do today,, all I knew was that I figured it had to be close due to the fact that it pulled fine in the midrange/topend and late 99/early 00 there wasn't a whole lot of selection without going to custom props(expensive).. As far as the x-diminsion, after talking to the dealer/factory rep (Mark Boniface)for the area and the factory itself they had said that they were working on the x due to the new step design..And the rep pretty well had me convinced at the time that I was expecting alot out of a 10,000 lb boat with all the crap the ole lady figured we needed to carry...Especially after coming out of the DCB(what a water rocket at the time)..as long as the water was smooth.
10K lbs ... I thought the 34 is marketed at 7500. I always thought both the 34 and 38 look way to massive to be 7500 and 8500 respectively. You have to add a lot of options to add 2500 lbs.

Have any of the 34 or 38 owners ever taken their boats in for weighing. Not knocking PQ here, I have owned them, and have friends that own a 29 and 38. I always stand by them and think how can a boat this huge weigh so little, especially the 38.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Registered

7500 lb is a dry shipping weight, now ad gas(app. 150 gallons) at 7 or 8lbs per gallon, fill the water tank, plus the all the personal crap the gets stored on the boat,plus spare props, tools, a portable generator,,etc,etc. oh and then theres the full camper canvas(which the ole lady insisted on.)
It doesn't take long to jack the weight right on up there.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

Never weighed my 34 but would guess that in actual use it runs 1500# over the dry weight of 7400#. Would be very interested if anyone has weighed theirs. I plan on running my 38 to a scale first thing next spring.
What ever the weight is on these PQ's all I can say after owning 3 of them is they handle very well. They track straight and turn as tight as any other. The freeboard is great as it makes for a high and dry ride no mater what.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to Vyper340 last night. They have new fork lifts at their marina that have scales built in. He has not had a chance to lift his boat with them yet, but will. It will be interesting to see what his boat weighs with a full tank of gas. Especially considering he has all the extras mine has.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered

So the 34 is listed as 7500 lbs? Yeah, right - my '96 290 is listed as 6500 lbs dry, I believe. Be interesting to see what Vyper finds out...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered

I'm damn curious about the actual weight, I kinda thought it went heavier than 7500lbs.....but hey, I've been wrong before..

Quick Reply: 34' Powerquest performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.