Default Re: 34' Powerquest performance

HP500's would look good in my boat!
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performancemary
Man, I would think long and hard about a 34 with only 454's. The PQ 34's are a much better boat with the HP500's. And they look really nice in the engine bay!!
Wally I have to agree, this boat would look good on your lift The graphix are the same but at least the color combo is different, I would hate for you to have the same as mine on the same lake
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered

At least it would be the fastest PQ on the lake if not the longest

I am hearing mixed reviews on the 34 getting on plane. Everything from its the worst boat people have ever been in to it planes just fine with the tabs down. I am not sure what to believe at this point, and if the 2000 hull changes make a difference or not. I have never been in one, but I think the vyper would be a nice addition to our lake I have eyed up Pmary's boat several times and I keep getting PM's that its for sale

Too bad I am looking at houses

Last edited by cbgenrl; 12-29-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by cbgenrl
At least it would be the fastest PQ on the lake if not the longest

I am hearing mixed reviews on the 34 getting on plane. Everything from its the worst boat people have ever been in to it planes just fine with the tabs down. I am not sure what to believe at this point, and if the 2000 hull changes make a difference or not. I have never been in one, but I think the vyper would be a nice addition to our lake I have eyed up Pmary's boat several times and I keep getting PM's that its for sale

Too bad I am looking at houses
I've found big differences from boat to boat in the same model and from different drivers. Just do a sea trial and decide for yourself. No way they would have ever sold one of those boats if they all were bad as the one you are referencing. For all we know, the driver had the tabs and drives all the way up and had the throttles firewalled coming out of the hole. Could have also been propped wrong.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've found big differences from boat to boat in the same model and from different drivers. Just do a sea trial and decide for yourself. No way they would have ever sold one of those boats if they all were bad as the one you are referencing. For all we know, the driver had the tabs and drives all the way up and had the throttles firewalled coming out of the hole. Could have also been propped wrong.
In the case of mine, the drives were tucked in and tried many different throttle techniques, with tabs up,,bad,,,with tabs down,,,,acceptable.., and I've been through enough performance boats to know/feel the difference, as previously stated, the factory claimed to be making some changes to the hull/drive heights to correct the problem, I ran a friends 01 38 PQ with 502 mags and had no problems with planing etc..as earlier stated, the boat itself was great as far as quality/construction,,,,,guess I got one of the bum ones..oh well.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick02
In the case of mine, the drives were tucked in and tried many different throttle techniques, with tabs up,,bad,,,with tabs down,,,,acceptable.., and I've been through enough performance boats to know/feel the difference, as previously stated, the factory claimed to be making some changes to the hull/drive heights to correct the problem, I ran a friends 01 38 PQ with 502 mags and had no problems with planing etc..as earlier stated, the boat itself was great as far as quality/construction,,,,,guess I got one of the bum ones..oh well.
Slick, the 34 that Wally and I are referencing is not yours. A friend of ours had a real bad experience on a sea trial of a 34 Vyper back in '99 down at LOTO. The boat we are referencing had 502's and with 5 guys in it and no fuel (boat actually ran out of gas on the trial), it took so long to plane that they thought it might not ever roll over.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The boat we are referencing had 502's and with 5 guys in it and no fuel (boat actually ran out of gas on the trial), it took so long to plane that they thought it might not ever roll over.

Wow, that's hard to believe considering my buddys with 454's has no problem with a full load of fuel and riders. Why is there such the difference? Was his way over proped?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Pressurized
Platinum Member

If there is a 34 with that severe a problem comming up on plane someone has messed with it. Could be a combination of things but props has to be a part.All I can say is except fo som bow rise mine comes up quick and strong, full tank, full of people or both she comes up nice.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by performancemary
If there is a 34 with that severe a problem comming up on plane someone has messed with it. Could be a combination of things but props has to be a part.All I can say is except fo som bow rise mine comes up quick and strong, full tank, full of people or both she comes up nice.
My 99 34 with 502's also came up with no problems with additional people and full fuel tanks. It ran 28 pitch 4 blades and it came up well with just a little bit of tab. Even if the tabs were lifted up all the way the time to plane was respectable. I know of other 34's that also had no problems getting on plane with different engine configurations. This complaint sounds a bit odd to me.

Tim
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered

Red face Re: 34' Powerquest performance

Slick, the 34 that Wally and I are referencing is not yours. A friend of ours had a real bad experience on a sea trial of a 34 Vyper back in '99 down at LOTO. The boat we are referencing had 502's and with 5 guys in it and no fuel (boat actually ran out of gas on the trial), it took so long to plane that they thought it might not ever roll over.
Sounds just like mine,,,,and horsepower wasnt the problem..mid range/ top end was great, with 2 people or 4 it didn't make a damn bit of difference,,,my dealer told me maybe we needed more stern lift so we reversed the props/controls,,,,nada.(just made docking harder) looking back now, the five blade prop or the 1"drive spacer would have probably been the ticket.
Mine was the teal/purple/black paint scheme

Quick Reply: 34' Powerquest performance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.