Notices

Power Quest is getting some love

Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power Quest is getting some love

Originally Posted by Gary C
I was told that the regular bottom PQ's were set with a low X and the 280 with the step is a higher X That is why the 4 blade on the 280's. That is also the reason the 260 and 270's work with 3 blade props. It is basicly trial and error. Most Hi x demension boats are harder to get up on plane, but once on plane are faster on the top end. There is always a trade-off.
pkspx, if you aren't already you will probably need to go to a 4 blade prop with that shorty.
have the Hydromotive 4blade 23p but looking to go 5blade with the IMCO shorty. From the comments on this thread, makes me wonder if I am wasting my money. I was told Power Quest has the drive too deep because it is a pleasure boat making it easy for anyone to get off plane. Am I actually going to notice any difference in speed or stability? What else can I expect?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
Just wondering how one determines whether your X dimension is set high or low? Or if it's simply a trial and error situation?
distance from crank to prop shaft
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
have the Hydromotive 4blade 23p but looking to go 5blade with the IMCO shorty. From the comments on this thread, makes me wonder if I am wasting my money. I was told Power Quest has the drive too deep because it is a pleasure boat making it easy for anyone to get off plane. Am I actually going to notice any difference in speed or stability? What else can I expect?
You will definitely have to go to a 4-blade. Depending on your HP and gearing, 5-blade may be too much to pull. Plus you may end up roaching your drive if you get that 5-blade hooked up. You can go too high on X dimension and lose speed. Worst case is you go back to the stock lower or use spacers at 1/2" increments to find the sweet spot. Takes time, testing, and $$$$. Good luck and let us know how it works out!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
You will definitely have to go to a 4-blade. Depending on your HP and gearing, 5-blade may be too much to pull. Plus you may end up roaching your drive if you get that 5-blade hooked up. You can go too high on X dimension and lose speed. Worst case is you go back to the stock lower or use spacers at 1/2" increments to find the sweet spot. Takes time, testing, and $$$$. Good luck and let us know how it works out!
If I posted my drive x, would you guys be able to give a better guess? Drive is 1.5:1 bravo 1
Old 12-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, the previous owner spent a considerable amount of time "tweaking" the boat, a couple other guys (Macklin and BillR) might chime in and shed some light on what was done to my boat. It also has Gil exhaust and a K&N filter but the increases came from the labbed prop and the 1" spacer. He felt like the prop was getting too much air.

HotBoat did an article on the 5 blades and they broke the prop shaft because of not enough slip.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Not Right
He felt like the prop was getting too much air.
Probably because the X-dimension was too high.

Might be good to ask a couple folks where the center hub of their prop is in comparison to the bottom of the boat. My guess is it is an inch or 2 below the bottom.