Gas Tank Sending Unit >

Gas Tank Sending Unit

Notices

Gas Tank Sending Unit

Old 02-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Tank Sending Unit

I changed out my gauges last summer and noted my fuel gauge is really off now. Years ago when I worked a marina we had to adjust these from time to time. The old units were either an arm style with a float and you simply bent the arm to make your adjustment or a screw style with a float. I've not had a chance to pull the sender and was just wondering if anyone else had to make any adjustments and what style sender PQ used?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
I changed out my gauges last summer and noted my fuel gauge is really off now. Years ago when I worked a marina we had to adjust these from time to time. The old units were either an arm style with a float and you simply bent the arm to make your adjustment or a screw style with a float. I've not had a chance to pull the sender and was just wondering if anyone else had to make any adjustments and what style sender PQ used?
I had the arm type on my 270. Seems odd though that changing out the gauge would require modifying the sender. I've never had to change out the guage though, just the sender. When you take it out, it is best to get a new gasket when you put it back in versus putting the old one back in. I tried replacing mine with the old gasket and a few days later ordered the new gasket too.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Does anyone know about the digital flow meters that hook up in line from the tank to the engines. Supposed to be super accurate and take the sender and fuel guage out of play?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Does anyone know about the digital flow meters that hook up in line from the tank to the engines. Supposed to be super accurate and take the sender and fuel guage out of play?
But don't they just measure instant flow and total usage over specified period? That is how my Merc RaceView works. But it would not take the place of the fuel gauge.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
But don't they just measure instant flow and total usage over specified period? That is how my Merc RaceView works. But it would not take the place of the fuel gauge.
If you knew how much fuel was in the tank - Full of gas - and how much you used - over time - wouldn't you know how much was left, or do they not give cummulative figures. Example, if you turn off the boat and then re start it.

I can't get to my sender, so I am looking for an alternative to tearing out the floor.

What was yours called again?
Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,
Check out floscan.com for a flow meter.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
If you knew how much fuel was in the tank - Full of gas - and how much you used - over time - wouldn't you know how much was left, or do they not give cummulative figures. Example, if you turn off the boat and then re start it.

I can't get to my sender, so I am looking for an alternative to tearing out the floor.

What was yours called again?
As long as you always filled up your tank the flow would work. Mine does keep accumulation until reset, so it does not matter if you turn off the engine. But if you fill up so many gallons here and there eventually it would be off.

Mine came as part of the Merc package with the PCM03 computer.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Registered

John, Thanks for the heads up on the gasket. I hadn't thought about that. I'll pick up a new one before I pull the sender.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Forward
John, Thanks for the heads up on the gasket. I hadn't thought about that. I'll pick up a new one before I pull the sender.

Good luck with the change out!