History/Value on 1987 Power Play 23 Conquest >

History/Value on 1987 Power Play 23 Conquest

Notices

History/Value on 1987 Power Play 23 Conquest

Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default History/Value on 1987 Power Play 23 Conquest

Hi! Think I'm in the right forum here. I'm looking for my first boat and ran across the above locally (Detroit area). I'm planning on taking a look at it this weekend. I remember these boats from when I was a teenager and seem to recall they were well spoken of for quality.
Anyway, the boat has a 7.1L (330hp), porti-potty and a fish-finder. It also comes with a trailer. Don't know much else other than some recent rebuild work on the upper unit. Asking price is $10,000 but NADA says closer to $6000 for average condition.
Obviously I won't know the true condition of things until I see it but just looking for a ballpark idea of real value and ANY info I can get about this boat model (good things and bad)....factory website was not exactly helpful.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a great time with our Conquest for the last five years. It is currently for sale in the classified section. We've just had our third baby and are looking to go bigger.

It should have a 7.4 liter motor which is the 454 cid Big Block Chebby. Good motor. Mine is cold blooded and requires some accellerator pumping to fire it up. Knowing that, I have never had any problems or been forced to reload on trailer due to it not starting for me.

Check the Hour meter. I think they say 1000 hours on a 330hp big block is average life expectancy. Most people average 40-50 hours per year. We bought our '91 in '03 with 135 hours on it, But we paid 22K- it was really clean and new like.

Check the out drive. If it has a big block you'll want the Bravo 1 drive. I am not sure about that year and I suspect it has an Alpha drive, considering it has resent upper drive repair. The Alpha's apparrently don't hold up well to the big blocks. Seems I see alot of big blocks with rebuilt alpha drives in those years.

I think it has a 18 degree Deadrise which is the angle of the vee hull at the stern. the steeper the angle the deeper the vee, the better the ride. I always felt the Conquest rode pretty smooth. But talking to the other guys here who have the newer more modern boats they say the Conquest rides rougher. I have recently rode in a couple of 2000 & up 340 Vypers and I see what they are saying. Not comparable as they are totally diiferent in every way.$$$

The build quality of the fiber glass is top notch. we don't have a single stress crack. The boat feels very solid and we do quite a bit of Lake Michigan boating. I know of a 230 Rinker that you swear the top is seperating from the Hull hoing down the lake. An Inland lake.

As far as NADA, That has been the case with every boat I have ever looked at. There are some good threads on here about that topic.

Our '91 Conquest is our first boat and it was a great choice. even though it is a 23 foot boat it has way more space than our freinds '96 23' Searay. It is really the size of a 25'. Lots of cockpit room. Bolt on swim Platfom thing

Hopefully it doesn't sound like I'm pushing mine too hard. It is just easy to compare my 230 Conquest Experience with it.

There are alot of boats out there for sale so don't settle for something. be sure to be happy with it.

Good Luck
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

Shawn D,

Thanks for the info! Actually I've been trying to look at yours in the classifieds just to get a rough idea of interior and dimensions, but for some reason that section has been acting up....can't get any of the pics to enlarge. She looks beautiful from what I can see.....I think it's probably out of my price range though. :-((
The one I'm thinking of looking at down here has the 454 with about 350 hours on it. Not sure about the drive.....I know the Alpha's don't do so well with the big blocks. If I remember correctly, there's no real difference between the Power Play and Powerquest from those years....wasn't it just a name change for legal reasons?

Ryan
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Registered

Our '91 has both names on it. The smaller POWERPLAY on the back and larger POWERQUEST on the sides. I just recently put new side decals on the boat. The port side pic in the classifieds was taken before I put it on.

I think they made the Conquest from '87 to '92 and I have only seen Powerquest on '91 & '92's. The Older ones usually had the teak swim platform. for the most part they have all looked the same to me.

One thing I don't like about mine is the way the door works going into the cuddy. When strapped open there are some sharp pointy corners exposed. I usually worry about the kids and guests bouncing around in the cockpit. While it has never happened, I bet you could get a big o Gash. It is just something to be aware of.

350 hours is great.

If you Email me through the classified I may be able to send the Pics that way if you like, and it is obo.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

As far as your first question on Value. Man is that tough. each person wants his own Ideal boat. There are alot of different models and then there is the varying conditions. When we bought our boat I went down state 6-7 time looking at different boats for about a year. I was looking for a Formula when I came across Powerquest. My suggestion is to look and look alot.

We kinda decided on 1 or 2 models that we really liked ( formula 242 LS) and searched out every one we could go look at within 300 miles. Once you have a model, Boat trader will have a dozen to look at.

After you look at enough boats you just kinda know if the price is in line or not.

While price doesn't vary a tremedous amount the condition does. And then there's what options are on the boat.

I know it is a good time to buy, nothing seems to be moving.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered

Shawn D,

That's really funny.....I looked at an '87 Formula 206 LS down here last week. Poor thing was all beat to snot. Totally neglected. Kind of sad. Those boats have great lines! I think I've kind of settled on either Formula or Powerquest myself. Some of the older Baja's fit my price range, but for some reason, I don't like the way they sit in the water. I like the scarabs, but they don't seem to have the room I 'm looking for. I looked into a couple Liberator's but all the problems with the old Cobra drives kinda scared me off them.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:43 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a sit down boat look for one with bolsters....if you like the Quests go with the 27.....my.02