Notices

Should I buy a 96 Vyper 340??

Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Should I buy a 96 Vyper 340??

Hello Everyone,

Please HELP!

Thinking about buying a 96 Vyper 340 with Carb HP500's. The boat and motors have about 400 hours on them. No major service seems to have been performed on the motors or drives. Boat has the Windshield, Hyd Steering, and AC.

The props are missing due to a recent theft. I was thinking
15.250" x 26P Bravo's. Recommendations please.

Need to purchase an older boat because of my price range.

Any thoughts on a decent price, this older model year PQ and hull (w/o steps), the motors and drives would be sincerely appreciated.

Also, are there any parts still available through PQ?

Thanks Much!!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Registered

How much are they asking? Link?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Registered

Asking 30K, no trailer. One motor maybe in question.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Registered

One motor in question ? no trailer ? no service records ? guess it all depends on how much you are into wrenching on your boat or driving it. If the boat is in great shape and you are mechanically inclined or just have allot of money, depends on the situation. What is the overall condition ? do you have a survey ? it all comes down to cost verses quality. My old 34 was in great shape and ran awesome but i was very meticulous in its care and did a full survey and had my mechanic go over the motors as well, so you have to look at the whole picture, 30K might be a great deal but if you have to put 20K into it then not so much, might be better of buying one for 50K and have no worries. JMHO look good before you buy. The 34 straight hull vypers are a great boat and you will enjoy them if you do your home work up front.

Forgot to ad i ran a labbed 24P 4 blade bravo with the 500 HP

Last edited by laszlo01; 12-01-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would think 500 hours would be about time for a rebuild on those motors, if not sooner. No, parts are not readily available from powerquest, but parts for the motors/drives should not be an issue. That said it's a good boat that should handle well for years to come. But with no trailer I would think you could get it for around $25k and then spend $5k on a trailer.