Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Hull Fractures >

Hull Fractures

Notices

Hull Fractures

Old 04-22-2002, 04:15 PM
videospy

Angry Hull Fractures

Does anyone out there have the same problem as I getting Powerquest to stand behind their boat. I have a 240 Precept that has had the Hull fracture twice. Factory admitted was a problem and did a patch fix and it cracked in the same places 1.5 years later......Please Help

Old 04-22-2002, 04:54 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know they had alot of problems with the 38 avenger when they first started the stepped hull....but they seam to have the buggs worked out....
Old 04-23-2002, 08:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Mike Winia at the PQ Factory he handles all the warranty and repair claims. If it is a definate structural flaw I think they should accomodate you especiallly if it had been cixed before. If it is a stress crack or something cosmetic or minor dont count on it.

How bad was/is it? do you have any pictures?

My 38' is real good with only a few minor stress cracks in the gel at the transom. I have heard of a couple other PQ's like the 24 - 26 footers that had a real gel coat problem. Like too thick or too hard gell causing expansive cracking. Do a search in this forum for cracking and you may find someting else.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:50 AM
videospy

iI've been talking to Mark at PQ and they have been not very quick to cure it this time. Its a 96 boat that they tried to repair once (which took 3 months to get back). I had to get more repaired when I got it back. They told me when I picked up the boat that they would extend the hull warrenty because I was not comfortable with how the repair was done (just reinforced the engine area and patch the cracks, I was told when they got the boat they were going to replace the bottom). Two weeks outside the original warrenty we noticed the cracks and now they are saying they didn't extend the warrenty and the first answer from them was they will do nothing. The cracks are in the same places and the boat now takes on water and is unfit to be in the water. I've heard that they have failed to help others with similiar problems. I'm looking to go after them and maybe get a class action suit together if I can't get them to repair the boat. In all I just want the boat fixed. I think they need to stand behind their boats and repair these flaws in design. I will get some pictures post in the next day or so

Last edited by videospy; 04-23-2002 at 11:35 AM.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spy, I guess my next step would be a very polite letter to them explaining your situation, when it first noticed, first fixed, who said what etc and then see what happens.

Being in business, I tend to listen more to the person who has a legitimate problem and is being "gentleman" about it rather than the guy who brings his soap box to my front door claiming a lawsuit.

I doubt you will find another boat builder as nice as the PQ folks. Explain your situation IN WRITING and see what takes place.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:32 AM
videospy

I have made several tries to reach the new owners of PQ, but have had no calls returned from him or his reps. The forum is my last try to help come to a fix. I've been told they have not had any problems that they know of....this is a way of 1) letting people know there is a problem 2) getting the problem fixed
Myself owning a small business know that bad news travels faster than good. I think everyone out there needs to know how they have handled this. I made another callthis morning to try and talk to the owner and I will advise if he calls back.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spy, I know this may sound like a lot BUT, with as much money as we have tied up into our boats, I would take an hour of my time and sit down write a letter to the owners, send it certified mail (receipt requested) and give them ample time (one week) to get back to you with a remedy. If they do not respond, you can take the next step knowing that you did everything in your power to handle the situation.

Phone calls relating to a problem like this is the reason no one has called back. Put the details in writing that way you have something to go by later on.

I had a warranty issue with my 99 PQ relating to the sundeck. Since I bought my boat out of State, I was at a boat show and got to know a PQ dealer in Illinois. I had asked him if he would be willing to handle my warranty, he said sure. From there on, I did everything in WRITING between the dealer and PQ so that the I knew as well as they what was to take place and who was going to cover it. The problem with phone calls is everyone forgets about what was discussed and that is when the arguments start.

Good luck and let us know the outcome