280 Silencer 496 HO? >

280 Silencer 496 HO?

Notices

280 Silencer 496 HO?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 280 Silencer 496 HO?

Considering a 280 Silencer w/ a 496HO. Boat has the weekend package(fridge,sink,microwave,potty)
Want to use it for the occasional weekend trip to area poker runs. (watching only)
What kind of speed/Rpms is this boat capable of when propped right?
It currently has a 4 blade 23p REV 4 on it. Seems a little small. Maybe good for planing, but I bet its on the limiter on the big end, not to mention the prop slip I'm told I will experience w/ this hull.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 28 I had came with a 24p Bravo. A labbed 26 Bravo will give you more cruise speed.Top speed on mine was 67 maby 68 with ideal conditions.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Any experience w/ ride quality compared to a Baja 24 Outlaw? That was my last boat. Both have 24deg. hulls right? The 280 appears to be about 1200 lbs heavier.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride in the 28 is awesome!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Registered

I have a 502 in mine and I can run a consistent 65 with a 24p bravo1. I've read that going to a 1" or 1.5" spacer can help with the slip but I have not tried it yet. If you have not been on a powerquest do yourself a favor and check it out, you will be impressed with the size and ride quality. There are some on here that are running some good speed numbers with some engine upgrades, maybe they will chime in.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it today pending water test. I've seen the boat and been in it, but haven't rode in it yet. I'm not really concerned about sqeezing every mph out of it on the top end, I was more concerned with finding a good quality boat that rides nice with a good low hour, larger factory power package. After looking at a couple 25 Outlaws and 272's I was pleased with the build quality of the Powerquest.
I'm very anxious and exicted to get this boat in the water and try it out. The step looks cool, but sounds like it may have a good and a bad side. Has anyone seemed to pinpoint or be able to feel a speed when the hull
"breaks free" and starts to cruise more efficiently with less drag?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Registered

I had a 2000 model with a 454 Mag. The drive had the spacer and with a 24p Bravo 4 blade it was fine unless it was loaded heavy. With 6 people and 100 gallons of gas it had trouble planning. I switched to a 22p Bravo 4 blade and holeshot/plane time was much improved. Had to watch the RPMs but I was not a full throttle kind of guy anyway. Loved the boat. Lots of room for a 28. Spent many nights on it. I added a marine A/C unit to it so sleeping was comfortable!! Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MindBLOWER
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it today pending water test. I've seen the boat and been in it, but haven't rode in it yet. I'm not really concerned about sqeezing every mph out of it on the top end, I was more concerned with finding a good quality boat that rides nice with a good low hour, larger factory power package. After looking at a couple 25 Outlaws and 272's I was pleased with the build quality of the Powerquest.
I'm very anxious and exicted to get this boat in the water and try it out. The step looks cool, but sounds like it may have a good and a bad side. Has anyone seemed to pinpoint or be able to feel a speed when the hull
I just got mine this year and the weather sucked most of the summer so I only got to put about 20-25 hrs on her. I can tell you that the boat does not like a lot of trim. I would just trim up slowly and keep an eye on the gps speedo, when you get above where it likes to be you will actually see the speed start to decrease then bump the trim back down and you are in the sweet spot.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MindBLOWER
Congrats and good luck with the water test! Welcome to the Powerquest family.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

You will love it over the baja i think!! I have the 502 turning a 26p bravo 1 prop drop the tabs down before taking off comes out the hole fairly quick!! The main difference you will notice with the step over a regular V is taking curves it wont hook like a v is kinda slides. I find dropping the drive helps this maybe others can explain it better. But all in all awesome boat easy to trailer and dock and the room second to none

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.