Bow Rail on a 280SC

Notices

Bow Rail on a 280SC

Old 11-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bow Rail on a 280SC

Has anyone ever removed the bow rail on a 280SC? The rail on my boat popped off at two points where the rail meets the deck. It appears the spot welds broke. I'm afraid to have it welded back on while the rail is still connected to the boat being as it's so close to the fiberglass where the welding would take place. Anyone have any recommendations as to how I could repair it while it's still connected to the boat or should I go the "right" way and remove it from the boat, repair it and place it back on? I want it to be as strong and reliable as the day the boat was made so no half a$$ fixes. Luckily both of them broke off towards the end of the season so this is now my winter project.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Registered

I think you already know the answer "should I go the "right" way and remove it from the boat"
Old 11-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree, but I've never removed the rail before. Has anyone ever done this? Hoping I do not have to drop the entire ceiling in my cabin to access the bolts. I plan to take a look at it when I get the chance in the next few weekends. Was just hoping someone that has pulled their rail before has some insight.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bow rail is being repaired as we speak. I ended up taking it to a shop that specializes in working/welding SS. Turns out, it's a poor job on PQ's part when they built the boat. All they did was tack weld the rail in two places where it connects to the base. Bad design in my opinion. The company repairing the rail is going to ensure it's welded all the way around the rail where it meets the base. I'm having every area where the rail meets the deck repaired so I do not deal with this again in the future. Has anyone with a 280SC or 320SC experienced this as of yet? If not, you may in the future. I will post pictures of the new design once completed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]521714[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Bow Rail on a 280SC-broken-bow-rail.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The shop sent me pictures of what they did to the rail. A lot stronger then just a few tack welds that's for sure. [ATTACH=CONFIG]521720[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521721[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521722[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521723[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Bow Rail on a 280SC-photo-3.jpg   Bow Rail on a 280SC-photo-1-6-.jpg   Bow Rail on a 280SC-photo-2-4-.jpg  

Bow Rail on a 280SC-photo-1-7-.jpg  
Old 04-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine had that happen on his Avenger. He removed it and I welded it for him. On the Avengers the washers and nuts are fairly easy to access for the bow rails once you remove the fabric cover valances that go from the wall to ceiling. I removed all my rails for powder coating which upgraded the poorly done factory painted white out package. Plus I wetted all the holes with epoxy before re-bedding them.