Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Why PQ ? Why not Checkmate, Sunsation, Baja ? >

Why PQ ? Why not Checkmate, Sunsation, Baja ?

Notices

Why PQ ? Why not Checkmate, Sunsation, Baja ?

Old 08-13-2002, 09:54 AM
MATTT

Default Why PQ ? Why not Checkmate, Sunsation, Baja ?

Hello, every one.

I have been looking to buy a new PQ. I do have a question for every one that own a PQ. Why did you decide to go with PQ. Why not Checkmate, Sunsation or Baja ? Please, give me your reason. I live in Michigan. Do you know any dealer in Michigan that carry PQ beside Skipper Budds ?

Thank you so much,

Mattt.

Old 08-13-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mattt,

We used to own a PQ 280 (now boatless, hoping to change that next year).

We looked at all of the brands you mentioned, plus others, before buying the Powerquest. In short, the PQ had the best combination of size, performance, craftsmanship, styling, and price.

Formula makes a great boat, but they are significantly more $$ than PQ. Fountains are small - the 27' is really a 24'-25' boat, and we really didn't like the styling, but that's subjective. Baja is a nice boat, I don't think they are built quite as well as the PQ. Plus, they are a "corporate" boat - I'm not sure you'd get the same after-the-sale service that you can from a smaller company (just my opinion, though, I don't have any first hand knowledge).

Sunsation is a great builder, and getting better. Couple things kept us from pulling the trigger - and we were "that" close. First, they have an 8' beam, and that really makes a difference. You wouldn't think 6" is that be a deal, but it seemed that way to us. Second, no windshield. We're in Michigan too, and it's nice to be able to hunker down behind the windshield on those 65 degree days. A definite plus for the Mrs. If I was 10 years younger, this would have been my first choice. Fastest with the same power.

I liked the way Checkmate was built, but the Mrs wasn't so fond of the styling. I would have been happy with one though.

Of course, now that PQ has changed hands, I don't know if all of the pluses are still true; there's been some talk on this board that the new boats are a little "cheaper" in the interior quality, etc. Not sure, as I've not looked at new boats in 2 years or so. Could be just hearsay, you'll need to judge for yourself.

AFAIK, Skipper Bud's are the only PQ dealers in the state.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I will say this - I'd own another 280 in heartbeat (sometimes I think about calling the guy I sold my boat to, see if he'd be willing to sell it back to me )
Old 08-13-2002, 12:10 PM
MATTT

Thanks dockrocker, for replying so fast.

My wife and I were looking at a PQ 237 Stryker. And we like the wind screen. The reason we pick the 237 is because we want to use it on inland lake also. You mentioned how much you like the wind shield. That would make it harder for me to make my decision now. We like the wind screen looks better, but I'm afraid that we would be regretted during a 65deg days. A lot of people also saying that a wind shield would have a better resale value. Decision, decision... I don't know why PQ would make a boat that an owner could change from wind screen to wind shield with only a few screws or brackets.

A dealer gave me a quoted of around $$66,000.00 for a boat mentioned above with a competition package and a 496 engine. That is an out the door price. I thought that was too high for a boat that size. What do you think ? I let you know what I am planning to do.

Thanks again for the info.

Mattt.

Old 08-13-2002, 12:37 PM
wms

Wow, you should be able to get into a 28' for that kind of money. Or at least close. Does that include trailer, taxes, tags, coast guard package, dry storage, and 24 payments?

I had a 232 and a 272 Baja. Fun smooth water boats, but absolutely beat you to death in the rough stuff. I am told that the Outlaws are better boats, but I prefer a windshield. I do know that the Baja's build quality and customer service does not hold a candle to that of a smaller more detail oriented company like PQ or Sunsation. Don't know about Checkmate.

good luck on the PQ!

Last edited by wms; 08-13-2002 at 12:58 PM.

Old 08-13-2002, 01:13 PM
Kentz

Matt - you can get a 260, and a few pennies more a 280 for that amount of $$$$, on a trailer

Old 08-13-2002, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mattt I owned a 240 Pq that I bought new in 97, it was a great boat and we enjoyed it alot, we looked at Baja's and Cheakmate's at that time and for us the things that helped us was the fact that we have friends with Baja's and there were having some warrenty issues and were not real happy with the company or there dealer. My bride did not like the looks of a CM at all and just for your knowledge the 24 PQ was faster then a 24 CM with the same motors. The other thing is that we have the only PQ on our local lake unless we have a visiter, that is pretty cool.

I've got friends with Sunsation's and I or they cannot say anything bad about them. The Sunsation runs very well and takes big water smoothly. I've looked hard at them myself but my wife does not like loosing that kind of cuddy space, we do stay on our boat every weekend on Fri. and Sat. nights. The Sunsation does price out nicely though.

As far as dealers In Ill. ther is Krammers up by Chicago Riverview Marine in Spring Vally, and Holzhaur Motorsports by St Louis. We bought ours in Cincinatti but they no longer carry PQ. The price you recieved seems hi to me, I've got a 290 for not much more. you should shop around and be willing to travel, since you live in Mi. you could take it to Pq if you were to have any warranty issues.

Good luck!
Just look in the areas you don't see at first, and you will see the difference

Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

theres a PQ dealer up here in traverse city, traverse marine left side off us 131
Old 08-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt I'll give you my .02....I live in west Michigan not far from the P.Q. factory and I would'nt buy one.....two reasons everyone has one around here and for my money they are over priced.....I've owned several Checkmates and the Sonic I have now and If I were going to buy new you cant beat the Bang for your buck with a Checkmate!!!!!The sunsations are great but a little more money (I think) but if you can get a good deal I would buy it before the P.Q....
Old 08-13-2002, 02:02 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mattt,

For that kind of $$, you should be getting into a 280. I bought my 280 for less. Plus it had LOTS of options.
OSO member Jon 280 Silencer just bought a brand new leftover 280 for about $ 50K.

For really good pricing, call Tom Jr 717-944-4232
at Duckys boats in PA. They have the best prices you'll EVER see on PQ. I guarantee you'll save alot of $$$$ with them. They deliver your boat and do everything over the phone. The only downside; forget customer service from them, which is actually a good thing because I deal directly with PQ.

When I bought my first PQ, I looked at everything. My criteria at the time was a fast (consistant 65+) single engine boat, with lots of cockpit space. PQ's build quality is top notch, their customer service is amongst the best in the (I've owned lots of other brand boats, all have lousy Customer Service) industry. The boats are dry (no water in face), ride good and solid. You will be happy with your decision.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-13-2002, 03:39 PM
MATTT

Wow !!!!! Thank you every one for some great info...

wms,
Yep! that price do include a standard trailer. No dry storage, no coast guard package. It does include tax and tag out the door. The thing is, they actually quoted me around $70,000.00 but with the sales they have for the moment, there price now is $66,000.00 out the door. I know PQ is a good quality boat but that price is too high.

I will be calling other dealer out of state. If I buy one from a dealer out of state, I don't have to go there to pick up the boat. I can just pick it up from PQ company, I only live about 30 minutes from there.

BillR,
I'll give Duckys Boats a call. Thanks for the info.

Dyno,
I did look at a Checkmates, Sunsation and Baja. You know what, from a distance you can't tell which is which and that include PQ. But close up, I do like PQ better.

Scooter,
You wouldn't happen to have a number of that dealer do you ?

Thanks again for so many great reply, I am so happy I know this web site.

Thanks,

Mattt.

Quick Reply: Why PQ ? Why not Checkmate, Sunsation, Baja ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.