Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Second Outing >

Second Outing

Notices

Second Outing

Old 01-05-2003, 09:27 PM
BMAC13

Talking Second Outing

I had the boat out for the second time today and I must say that I was VERY impressed with the handling of the boat. I hope that the strength of the boat matches the performance!

Picture perfect day here in SoCal. Launched the boat at 7:45am from Dana Point and headed for Catalina Island. The winds were light and there was a three foot swell from the North West at 14 seconds, we were head on going over to the island. I changed all the fluids since the first run and planned on putting the boat to a bit of a test, but only a minute or so at WOT.

We rounded the jetty and did a slalom course through the lobster traps and eased the throttle forward. I ran the boat at 3200 rpm for the first ten minutes and cruised at just under 50mph. As the swell became more predictable I push it up to 4,000 and a nice cruise of 60. I alternated the rev's for another ten minutes or so until we were in the lee of the island and then slowly pushed the throttles all the way forward, 79 mph. There was a bit of a chine walk but was easily corrected with a quick reduction of throttle.

The ride over was very smooth and re-entry on the few flights out of water were more than acceptable for my limited seat time.

After enjoying one of the best breakfast burrito's this side of Mexico we started the journey back.

The boat handled just as well running down swell as it did head on. I again cruised between 3500 and 4,000 rpm for most of the trip back but had to try a WOT run with the swell. This time I was only able to get up to 77mph at 4,850, 50 rpm less than on the way over. At least I know that there is at least 300 rpm left and I'm hopeing to hit at least 83 after having the props labbed.

Thank you to everyone who has posted responses to my previous questions. I have not yet had a chance to get any digital pictures but will try soon. My wife has the new camera figured out but we just had our first child two weeks ago and she has not yet been on the boat.

Hope everyone is having a great New Year and look forward to hearing from you as you get the next boating season under way!!

Old 01-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice to hear someone can still enjoy boating this time of year

In response to your first time out thread you may want to try and run your tabs flat or even a little bit positive. The effect this has on the boat staying flat in rough water is huge. If you run it flat or negative on speed runs I'm sure you will see 80 or 81 but I doubt you will get much more without bigger power

I'm getting ready to go shovel snow Enjoy your weather!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed

Bmac13: Your 38 should run a least above 80 in the salt water. The only way you are going to get the higher rpm out of the 500efi's are to lab finish the props. The other thing is try triming out the drives to 2 on the indicators. When the boat is out of the water have someone work the trim incidators to see were neutral on the the drives than check the numbers. Neutral might be 1.5 0r 2.5 you never will know unless you check them out on land first. All indicators show up different so you have to check them out. Mine runs the best right below the #2. Motors are pulling 5300 rpm at that setting. Thats why I am going to change to 32" props this coming spring. I'll lose a little rpm's but gain on the top end. 5000 rpm's on a big block is fast enough to be turning them. The valve train on a block big is the weakest link. Even through they got the best parts in them the valve stems tend to break off. I rather take care of my equipment first so I can boat all the time not be wrenching on them. Wildman 1