Mercury Racing props on Bravo XR >

Mercury Racing props on Bravo XR

Notices

Mercury Racing props on Bravo XR

Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercury Racing props on Bravo XR

I just read an article in an old Hot Boat mag where a guy is running a single 588ci n/a motor making approx 680HP. The boat was a 28 foot cole running a bravo XR with a 17.25 X 27 mercury racing prop at 88.6 MPH. The boat weighed 5200LBS. Did not say whether 4 or 5 blade but thts some pretty darn good numbers. If he's spinning 5600 on a 1.5 ratio am I correct that he only has 6 percent slip??. It got me thinking! I just went on BAM's site to see the price of a prop. My 30 foot Infinity (Canopied version of the Challenger DDC) used to be run with this style prop on a pulse drive, over 90MPH the boat became a handful to drive but the boat was alot faster than it is now with the Bravo XR. I'm running the same A-class spec motor with the bravo as with the pulse drive. I ran the boat split bullet (no bow lift and a alot of bow steer with a Bravo 1 26"), dropped it 2 inches, didn't get any better does not respond to positive trim at all. The bottom of my boat is absolutely straight, no hooks, no rockers What's everyones thoughts on running a high X with a large dia merc cleaver on a Bravo. I know the cleaver will give much stern lift but if the diameter allows + trim to lift the bow shouldn't this work???
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mercury Racing props on Bravo XR

a 17 1/2 won't fit on a xr ( limited to about 15 1/4 maybe 15 1/2 at most) and we can't assume the rpm could be 6000, as far as your bow steer you should be able to fix that with the prop talk to throttle up or blades they can give it a "zip" cut basically ease the back of the trailing edge of the blade wierd but it works. there are other tricks that a good prop shop can do , some props we have tried made the boat fell like it was standing on the nose ( large diameter can do that also)
larry