Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Lab finish or leave as is >

Lab finish or leave as is

Notices

Lab finish or leave as is

Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think 25 pitch may be a little much if you are trying for 4900 rpms unless you expect to be up close to 70 mph. The 23s get up to 65 mph, 24s maybe 68mph.For me the 4 blades raised the cruise speeds significantly. I would definitely recommend 4 blades to lower the slip %. 3 blades didn't bite at all. My cruise @3300 rpm speed is aprox 42-3 mph. No,haven't ever changed the drive trim indicators. I have to rely on my mechanic for any work of that sort. Those Hydro 24s look pretty good and fair price but I'm cautious to buy online unless on e bay since I was sold wrong pitch props last year on some online site with no exchange. Your boat sets in the water higher in the stern and lower bow due to the hull design. I occaisonally tie to a nonstepped 38SC at Jellyfish Joel's @ Fairlee Creek. You may want to start a thread to see what other SC owners run on traditional nonstep hulls.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Pat. It will be a trail and error session next spring I suppose.

You ever make it up North towards the Sassafras or North East River?

Phil
Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

The Sassafras is great. We usually get up that way a couple times a year but haven't recently. Mostly running to Fairlee Creek and Rock Hall this year. If we get up that way I 'll look for you. My boat is dark Hunter Green and Gold striping named Fountain of Youth.What are your boat colors ?Do you get down the bay?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

I'm black with some blue/yellow striping (dated scheme). No name as of yet.

We do not get down that way, partly because of fuel, party because I've never been that way on my own (scared).

I'll keep an eye out for next year.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Registered

I'll keep an eye out also.Gas prices are an issue for us also. We do more shorter runs now.You may want to consider a gps and the chesapeake bay chip to show markers and depth, tides etc.if you dony have one. Prices are good online if you look around. It really makes exploring easier and less worry about those props. Sounds like you have enough on your plate this year.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Registered

I have the gpsmap476, pretty nice unit with really nice detail.

We dump in at the back of the North East River, usually go out to the flats, maybe over to the Sassafras or up to the Chesapeake Inn for dinner/drinks. (25 mi. round trip).

Hopefully next year will be nicer on the wallet, hoping gas prices straighten out. Hoping also that next year I won't be dumping ~$10k into the boat............