Notices

Prop help for Arneson ASD6

Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
Where can I get old rolla 3 blade "record" propellers for $600 each? I need three...

Larry
Search around. There are some around, maybe not the size you want but they made tons of them, literally, tons.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Search around. There are some around, maybe not the size you want but they made tons of them, literally, tons.
I am sorry Rik by your quoted post below. I thought you knew where to buy the props "new" for $600 as you posted.

Rik
"these are a NiBrial propeller that cost $600.00 each new"

You don't have to look around for "new" most of the time you can go to the source,, aren't Rolla and Arneson both owned by twin disk?
Are you not for that fact the source for rolla propellers in the usa?
Or do I have call twin disk direct to buy rolla propellers?
This strikes me odd Rik if rolla / twin disk / arneson can build a direct fit prop for an arneson drive for $600 new, why do you make an adaptor?
Seems the last time I checked brass go's for a lot $$$$ more then stainless and a 17 inch prop is much less heavy then a 21 inch so from a raw material cost it be cheaper to make merc style props over hi rake or cleaver?
May be now that were talking about rolla you can also explain why on rolla's web site the smallest offered propeller is 28 inches in size?
Why they no longer offer a high rake prop on there web site at all?
And last why there email address dose not work?

I'd like to ask them prices and if they still offer a 21" calling them may cost as much as a prop...

I keep my eyes open..
There was a set of rollas listed on ebay for $3000 reportadly at 50% off there cost new $6000, they were 20 x 25% or some thing off an intrepid running cat diesels 450hp. That is all I have seen listed on ebay and C/L in the last 12 months.. The only other one I have seen I pulled off the 1721 I removed from a fishing boat for my cigarette yesterday.

Rik any help you can give me finding some old rolla's will be killer
thanks Rik..

Larry

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 07-23-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cmd1962
PM me with a number, I'll give you my dad's phone number, he has 2 four blade round ears and a 3 blade cleaver, don't know the sizes, he has been looking to sell.
size? rotation? spline? price? brand?

it all stamped on the hub

(954) 552 4562
Larry
Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Larry, those propellers were made back in the early 80's and they were $600.00 new back then. They no longer make them and they destroyed the thousands of them they had in containers a few years ago so we can no longer sell those.

Now, they can be made by other companies though, and of those that were sold they pop up for sale. Just because it is on Ebay does not mean they list the truth.

Rolla does not make them as there is no market for them. Hering will make you a prop you can use.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Larry, those propellers were made back in the early 80's and they were $600.00 new back then. They no longer make them and they destroyed the thousands of them they had in containers a few years ago so we can no longer sell those.

Now, they can be made by other companies though, and of those that were sold they pop up for sale. Just because it is on Ebay does not mean they list the truth.

Rolla does not make them as there is no market for them. Hering will make you a prop you can use.

So then you can not buy "new" rolla 3 blade record high rake propellers any where for $600 any more, there very rare and hard to find in the right size.

that is what you were saying right?

That is to bad..
that is why its so hard for me to finish my pitch range for testing..

Or Wow I mean
Every thing I have read about rolla dating back in to the 80's says they were some of the best if not the best props made, That there only draw back was there cost of an imported prop... So seeing as arneson and rolla are both owned by twin disk.. You cant be saying the very good brand Rolla was the maker of cheap $600 junk props that were not worth there weight in scrap.. are you? I will take your word after all Rik you do work for twin disk..

I am still going to run the rollas I have be4 cashing them in with the junk man.. I'll will post how they work 4 better or worse.. be nice to test some O/B prop side to side..

Your right about what you hear on line Rik 99% is not true..

That Hering is sexy, think they will sell me one for $600???

Thanks Larry

Last edited by tomuchstuff; 07-23-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Larry, you seem to have a very strange grasp on life. I've said what I've said, no need to have you speak my words for me.

What the relevance of inflation and time have upon quality, which are mutually exclusive to one another, is a hard cold stretch.

Rare, nope and not to the extent that it could justify the price you have for yours on Ebay. You want more for yours than they cost new and that is the point I have made. Any reference to quality, I'll defer to you to make that assumption. Also, I've never seen any propeller that was worth more for its scrap value than it's sale price. Come to think of it no item made is that was other than the U.S. penny and that is why the U.S. Mint changed the construction of our penny from Copper to Copper plated Zinc.

Larry one lesson you can learn here on line for free in regards to propeller technology. It is first and foremost a "Black Magic Science" and I am not typing that in a racial manner; rather there are no set rules of nature that say they must be made on in only one particular shape or size. They are only made with what the latest empirical data of the designers have at their limited or vast disposal, and Propeller technology is ever evolving due to the wonderful world of competition.

So to dumb it down, no 30 year old propeller is not going to be able to out perform a new modern designed (which will also be outdated next week) propeller. Even a new outboard propeller such as the Pro ET for example could out perform the antiquated 3 blade chopper prop based upon all around performance. http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/proet.php

This propeller will fit your drive unit with the proper adapters.

Hering's prices reflect the modern cost of production. Go 30 years into the future and see what the inflation index says they would cost and the $600 argument becomes null and void.

Those old 3 blade chopper propellers work amazingly well for what they are but like any old propeller they were only as good as the technology, both design and manufacturing, the manufacturer had at their disposal at that time. A 4 blade design will work even better, and on some boats a 5 blade design would work even better again.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rik
Larry, you seem to have a very strange grasp on life. I've said what I've said, no need to have you speak my words for me.

What the relevance of inflation and time have upon quality, which are mutually exclusive to one another, is a hard cold stretch.

Rare, nope and not to the extent that it could justify the price you have for yours on Ebay. You want more for yours than they cost new and that is the point I have made. Any reference to quality, I'll defer to you to make that assumption. Also, I've never seen any propeller that was worth more for its scrap value than it's sale price. Come to think of it no item made is that was other than the U.S. penny and that is why the U.S. Mint changed the construction of our penny from Copper to Copper plated Zinc.

Larry one lesson you can learn here on line for free in regards to propeller technology. It is first and foremost a "Black Magic Science" and I am not typing that in a racial manner; rather there are no set rules of nature that say they must be made on in only one particular shape or size. They are only made with what the latest empirical data of the designers have at their limited or vast disposal, and Propeller technology is ever evolving due to the wonderful world of competition.

So to dumb it down, no 30 year old propeller is not going to be able to out perform a new modern designed (which will also be outdated next week) propeller. Even a new outboard propeller such as the Pro ET for example could out perform the antiquated 3 blade chopper prop based upon all around performance. http://www.mercuryracing.com/propellers/proet.php

This propeller will fit your drive unit with the proper adapters.

Hering's prices reflect the modern cost of production. Go 30 years into the future and see what the inflation index says they would cost and the $600 argument becomes null and void.

Those old 3 blade chopper propellers work amazingly well for what they are but like any old propeller they were only as good as the technology, both design and manufacturing, the manufacturer had at their disposal at that time. A 4 blade design will work even better, and on some boats a 5 blade design would work even better again.

450hp rick
cheep prop rick
one prop rick

That is what this cat was asking for
not the black art of blowing 3000k so he'd have it almost right..

I told the guy I do not want to sell my props b4 testing but will part...

I will not be the fastest boat on the water so i am not worried about 1/2 or even 3 knots from a prop... if i can match the test data I pulled I can move 88mph and that is fine by me...

the guy who started the post wanted a bigger prop not to pull 3knots out of a tuned set up... do not get lost here...

as far as your value on my props you seem to have a very strange grasp on life rik. if no one has them but me they cost and are worth what I ask.. if a custom is 2k I am cheep.. if know one buys them it changes nothing..
its just like all them drives arneson has back stocked you have bought them at your asking price till they sell... and you place value on them, if not there only worth there weight in scrap or sure plus, to day about 3 or 4 k for a new system. you may not even get that if you have more then one..

as far as the pricing you toss around..
you did not know what a brass 1720 looked like when the other oso member sent you photos and you told him he was buying asd6 but you know what a rolla cost in 1980
Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Talk about a forum that has gotten taken away from the general question...rik I read your article in powerboat magazine a few months back so I really appreciate and respect your input. You built arneson from scratch as a hobby so I am hoping you know what you are talking about haha.

Do 3 blades cause any sort of vibrations on surface drives like they do on regular drives. I have never had a smooth feeling 3 blade. The prop turbo has now has some crazy cupping on the blades that I have never seen either. We are running a poker run next weekend so we were hoping to find him a prop by then. Sounds like herring will work with us and they have a prop testing program also.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by tomuchstuff
450hp rick
cheep prop rick
one prop rick

That is what this cat was asking for
not the black art of blowing 3000k so he'd have it almost right..

I told the guy I do not want to sell my props b4 testing but will part...

I will not be the fastest boat on the water so i am not worried about 1/2 or even 3 knots from a prop... if i can match the test data I pulled I can move 88mph and that is fine by me...

the guy who started the post wanted a bigger prop not to pull 3knots out of a tuned set up... do not get lost here...

as far as your value on my props you seem to have a very strange grasp on life rik. if no one has them but me they cost and are worth what I ask.. if a custom is 2k I am cheep.. if know one buys them it changes nothing..
its just like all them drives arneson has back stocked you have bought them at your asking price till they sell... and you place value on them, if not there only worth there weight in scrap or sure plus, to day about 3 or 4 k for a new system. you may not even get that if you have more then one..

as far as the pricing you toss around..
you did not know what a brass 1720 looked like when the other oso member sent you photos and you told him he was buying asd6 but you know what a rolla cost in 1980
Larry, the drives you have cost less than $2,000.00 new in 1979 and if you know more about them than me then congrat's to you. I really don't feel it's worth arguing about. If you want to charge a fortune for your goods, then it's all good and I hope you the best in your pursuit of profits.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
Talk about a forum that has gotten taken away from the general question...rik I read your article in powerboat magazine a few months back so I really appreciate and respect your input. You built arneson from scratch as a hobby so I am hoping you know what you are talking about haha.

Do 3 blades cause any sort of vibrations on surface drives like they do on regular drives. I have never had a smooth feeling 3 blade. The prop turbo has now has some crazy cupping on the blades that I have never seen either. We are running a poker run next weekend so we were hoping to find him a prop by then. Sounds like herring will work with us and they have a prop testing program also.
The 3 blade designs vibrate more than a 4 or 5 or even 6 blade design just like on any drive as you noted. You can feel it in the floor and the seats when running.

The only 3 blade design that I've seen to be smooth are the high helix design from Vilwok/Elstrom.

That prop Ray is using has an unusual casting and I don't know if Ray had it mounted in the absolute correct position on the drive unit. It should have rested on the taper of the shaft and the pic's Hering sent me it was positioned at the end of the splines. This is not ideal.

Hering can custom make virtually anything as they have the capabilities at their finger tips. That link I posted to the Merc Pro ET propeller is, while not the ultimate, available and only cost about $800.00 from Merc. Not a bad deal for a four blade propeller. If.... Someone like Scott Baker or Brett Anderson can add some diameter to the propeller then it would be even better.

That new 7 blade Hering has to be worth trying, I wish Hydromotive made their 6 blade as an over the hub exhaust design. I've ran the 4 blade Merc outboard propellers and they were not bad either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.