Prop advice >

Prop advice

Notices

Prop advice

Old 10-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Same issues on my boat. Hit the trim button, the drive stays the same compared to the water, but the boat lifts up. Like....right up !

Not the same boat, but a little very light 20ft'r also.

Tried many, many different props (non labbed) and kept coming back to my stash of old Cleaver's.
Mirage, Mirage +, Turbo, Turbo+4...to name just a few. Most props designed for big block boats have too much diameter for the small block small lightweight boats. From what i noticed anyway. My 23" Mirage + was hilarious on the boat it was so unsafe trying to shoot me to the moon and all. LOL.

Anyhow, over 50mph the boat when trimmed just a little but would very airy. Give it more gas and it would scare you...even with more trim left.

Almost touching 70 with the clevers and it's non eventful.....unless aimed for a big wake of course....lol.

Anyway my drive is real deep (propshaft over 7.5" from bottom of boat) and supposedly won't work well with the cleavers, but it does.

I'm sure better props out there for my boat, but after seemingly a couple million I went back to what worked.

You are probably in the correct direction looking for more of a sternlifter.
SB

What kind of boat do you have? What drive? What ratio and what kind of power?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Monterey SS.

If you never heard of them, Monterey forgot they made them. LOl. But seriously.

Below is a pic of what they look like. I can't attach pictures of mine. I have pics of the bottom and such.

Mid 300HP 5.7.

1.5 Alpha drive. Have an Alpha SS to hang on it.

Note on the regular Alpha - I gained a few mph and way better handling when i installed a Hydromotive nose cone. In mid 60's i was running into Prop blow out. Changing props didn't change the blow out condition. Other Alpha owners report not running into top Speed blowout until well into the 70's. Mine does it early.

Again, below is same man/model but not mine.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Monterey SS.

If you never heard of them, Monterey forgot they made them. LOl. But seriously.

Below is a pic of what they look like. I can't attach pictures of mine. I have pics of the bottom and such.

Mid 300HP 5.7.

1.5 Alpha drive. Have an Alpha SS to hang on it.

Note on the regular Alpha - I gained a few mph and way better handling when i installed a Hydromotive nose cone. In mid 60's i was running into Prop blow out. Changing props didn't change the blow out condition. Other Alpha owners report not running into top Speed blowout until well into the 70's. Mine does it early.

Again, below is same man/model but not mine.

I wonder how close that is in weight to my bahner. Im only running 63 with porobably a close to 400+ hp 350. But maybe i can drive through it if i can get rid of some of this chine walking.

my drive is also a 1.5 but im only swinging a 21 to approx 5500. And yeah this is at WOT but trimming lets me get more RPM but then i walk.

Mine is a much lower profile boat so i would assume lighter but then again the numbers just dont make sense. Here im thinking ill be lucky to see 70 and it sounds like you are well into the 70's with less power?

heres a pic of the bahner
Can kind of see the hull shape here

Bottom

Maybe its just the wrong hull? Or maybe its a lot heavier than i thought? tows easily
Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 AM
SB
Registered

Moving weight around got rid of alot of my flightiness and walking.

My boat is too butt heavy.

Even though I got it to ride fine, anything over 1/2 tank fuel and it comes back. Wish the tank was further forward.

In fact, on weight, I put a Sternjack on, and jjust moving my drive back those 8" brought the ill handling manners right back.

Took me 2 damn years to play around with weight distribution to get it right. Basically Stock motor then and ran mid 50's. Felt like it ran 300mph. LOL.

Straightened that out and then modded th engine. High 60's and it runs fine. Kinda boring compared to the mid 50's back then.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM
SB
Registered

BTW: Looking at your pic I can tell your drive is deeper than deep. Mines way deep at like 7.5" (propshaft below bottom of boat)

Most small I/O's are deep because there is not much boat back there.

This is why many small I/O owners pick up 5-7mph by simply changing to an Alpha SS drive.

I'm hoping mine does the same.

=====================

With these little lightweight boats I believe the drag of the outdrive adds to some of the ill handling. Ie: pulls stern of boat down. More speed, more drag.

Just a thought from my playing around with stuff.

Last edited by SB; 10-10-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered

i was going to measure it this weekend.

But heres a video of the old engine and the drive isnt all the way down. thats "up" as far as the trim limit switch will let it